Cleveland Indians become the Cleveland Guardians

Bill0813

4 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Captain Adama and Dr. Melfi / Karen Hill in a baseball movie?  No thanks.

It was a HBO movie if I remember correctly, but it had the budget of a Black Scorpion TV series episode. 

17 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

The block C is so much the antithesis of the entire rest of the Cleveland identity, and shoehorning in uniforms with wordmarks that better match it hasn't helped things, not to mention the fact that it just doesn't read well.   A white outline would make it a thousand times better.

I used to have a cap with the script C that fits the home uniform so much better than the logo they use now. I don't know why they didn't use that for the logo. 

9 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The end scene of The Scout is so funny. Brenden Fraser helicopters into the World Series to throw a perfect game with 27 strikeouts and hit a home run or two. They went way over the top in his stats. And that's the only part of the Scout I've seen; I'm not watching two hours of Albert Brooks no way.

That was the most annoying part of that movie, and that movie is pretty annoying. I'd have loved to see a follow up where everyone knows he only has one pitch and he gets hammered every 5 days for two months. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to add on to the 90’s baseball movie discussion: For Love of the Game is one I always remember, thanks to it being re-run often. You have to endure the will-they-won’t-they romance storyline, but Billy Chapel’s epic swan song is a great feel-good baseball plot. I also appreciated the attention to detail with uniforms covering 20-ish years (logos and uniforms plug! ;) ), and Kevin Costner always struck me as one of the more believable actors to portray a baseball player, so it worked for me. 

The Scout is one of those movies I lasted only 15 minutes through. “Annoying” is a kind way to describe it! It could be that I can’t stand Brendan Fraser, also could be that using state names as last names because Joe Montana was peak bad-90’s (Johnny Utah? Steve Nebraska? C’mon), but in any case, it sucked bad.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

35 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I used to have a cap with the script C that fits the home uniform so much better than the logo they use now. I don't know why they didn't use that for the logo. 

Sounds like a Nike or Sports Specialties ligature cap from the early 2000s (though I think the latter called it the 6-4-3 collection). Great series of caps.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just now, WSU151 said:

Sounds like a Nike or Sports Specialties ligature cap from the early 2000s (though I think the latter called it the 6-4-3 collection). Great series of caps.

Sports Specialties I think.

7 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Just to add on to the 90’s baseball movie discussion: For Love of the Game is one I always remember, thanks to it being re-run often. You have to endure the will-they-won’t-they romance storyline, but Billy Chapel’s epic swan song is a great feel-good baseball plot. I also appreciated the attention to detail with uniforms covering 20-ish years (logos and uniforms plug! ;) ), and Kevin Costner always struck me as one of the more believable actors to portray a baseball player, so it worked for me. 

If I'm scrolling through the channels I'll stop to watch this one. I do think, If pitchers run through all this during a game, no wonder some of the better ones seem to have a few screws loose. I do like that they made sure to get the uniforms right throughout his career. I remember one of the behind the scenes segments. They told George Steinbrenner they wanted to use Yankee Stadium, but the Yankees would lose the game. They had to assure him they'd still win the pennant before he'd sign off. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Seattle probably should change their logo. It's been 30 years, yes, but they've done :censored: all in those 30 years, except a few exciting but ultimately unfulfillling playoff runs. That franchise needs any kind of a boost and a new identity feels very necessary.

It's the best they've had, was during the best they've been, and short of a possible color brightening it looks perfectly modern.   Maybe add some alternate marks modernizing a trident from the past or making the S their primary (although a pet peeve of mine is teams lacking a real primary and just using the simple insignia from their cap/helmet).   But any more than that and I'm worried they'd screw it up going for gimmicky over-modernization that becomes immediately dated.

10 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The end scene of The Scout is so funny. Brenden Fraser helicopters into the World Series to throw a perfect game with 27 strikeouts and hit a home run or two. They went way over the top in his stats. And that's the only part of the Scout I've seen; I'm not watching two hours of Albert Brooks no way.

Other 90s baseball movie: The Fan.

10 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Not even in Broadcast News? Defending Your Life was decent. 

I'd never heard of Defending Your Life until a friend threw it on during movie night and it was quite nice.

I'd love nothing more than two hours of Hank Scorpio.

13 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

The Scout is one of those movies I lasted only 15 minutes through. “Annoying” is a kind way to describe it! It could be that I can’t stand Brendan Fraser, also could be that using state names as last names because Joe Montana was peak bad-90’s (Johnny Utah? Steve Nebraska? C’mon), but in any case, it sucked bad.

In my last message I was gonna throw out For Love of the Game and Bull Durham, but realized one was super late 90's and one was 88, just missing the window on each side since I figured we were doing the early 90's groove.  Also, jeez what was up with Costner and baseball?

But now I think we've thoroughly hit everything.   Umm...   Major League II?

spacer.png

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

But now I think we've thoroughly hit everything.   Umm...   Major League II?

The less said about Major League II, and more importantly Major League III, the better. If Major League IV ever comes out, there's no way they can have it fit the team as well as they did with the original. The team's made the playoffs regularly, even if they haven't won the whole damn thing yet. I think for baseball movies to work when it involves a "lovable loser" there needs to be sustained losing over a longer time than three to five years. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I love For the Love of the Game. Kevin Costner is probably the greatest movie sports guy of all time, when you factor in his baseball movies, Tin Cup, and the underrated Draft Day.

It's interesting you bring up Major League 3. No one I know actually saw it, but I remember seeing the box at at Blockbuster and the like. Scott Backula seemed like he should have been a bigger star, but Necessary Roughness was it for him. And given that he looked like everyone's dad's drinking buddy, that seems about right.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The less said about Major League II, and more importantly Major League III, the better. If Major League IV ever comes out, there's no way they can have it fit the team as well as they did with the original. The team's made the playoffs regularly, even if they haven't won the whole damn thing yet. I think for baseball movies to work when it involves a "lovable loser" there needs to be sustained losing over a longer time than three to five years. 

Makes it a kind of minor miracle some comedian hasn't made a movie about the Mets yet given how many New Yorker comedians root for them

18 hours ago, the admiral said:

Don't forget A League of Their Own and Mr. Baseball, I'm guessing there was a cinematic baseball boom on the heels of Field of Dreams and Major League. Good timing, since the early '90s was when Major League Baseball first started wobbling with the ill-conceived move to CBS and a Canadian team winning, followed by the ol' you-know-what.

That's right, The Baseball Network 😛 (and yeah, the big thing that happened)

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Just now, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I love For the Love of the Game. Kevin Costner is probably the greatest movie sports guy of all time, when you factor in his baseball movies, Tin Cup, and the underrated Draft Day.

It's interesting you bring up Major League 3. No one I know actually saw it, but I remember seeing the box at at Blockbuster and the like. Scott Backula seemed like he should have been a bigger star, but Necessary Roughness was it for him. And given that he looked like everyone's dad's drinking buddy, that seems about right.

For some reason i bought that movie. Bakula and Ted McGinley are really the only good parts of that movie. Everyone else is a cliche. Pops (old guy that's trying to hold on to his youth), Downtown (big bat, little brain), a ballerina that plays outfield (No, really), a guy whose pitches are so slow the radar gun can't even pick them up. And the major league players at the end of their careers that randomly appear on the roster (Tanaka, Cerrano and Rube). 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I've been meaning to watch Broadcast News for a long time, but that's in large part because William Hurt is in it.

My parents rented Defending Your Life when I was a kiddo and it's a perfect VHS movie. So is Lost in America, which I own on blu-ray, have watched, and recall nothing. 

Broadcast News is really good. It's also right on the money. William Hurt is great in it. Well worth watching. I watched Lost in America years ago. All I remember about it is an RV and that the actress from Airplane! is in it.

BB52Big.jpg

15 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Seattle probably should change their logo. It's been 30 years, yes, but they've done :censored: all in those 30 years, except a few exciting but ultimately unfulfillling playoff runs. That franchise needs any kind of a boost and a new identity feels very necessary.

I disagree. The Mariners' 1993 introduction of the Nautical Compass Rose logo and the Navy, Northwest Green, and Silver color scheme brought a sophisticated visual identity to the club. It's a look capable of standing the test of time. As a result, a team launched in the last quarter of the 20th century - an era in which pro sports franchises all too often embraced fleeting design elements - boasts an identity that shouldn't be jettisoned simply to achieve a temporary marketing boost. 

9 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I disagree. The Mariners' 1993 introduction of the Nautical Compass Rose logo and the Navy, Northwest Green, and Silver color scheme brought a sophisticated visual identity to the club. It's a look capable of standing the test of time. As a result, a team launched in the last quarter of the 20th century - an era in which pro sports franchises all too often embraced fleeting design elements - boasts an identity that shouldn't be jettisoned simply to achieve a temporary marketing boost. 

Serious question: Would you have said the same thing about the Denver Broncos in 1996?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Broadcast News is really good. It's also right on the money. William Hurt is great in it. Well worth watching. I watched Lost in America years ago. All I remember about it is an RV and that the actress from Airplane! is in it.

Julie Hagerty? Surely you can’t be serious!

5 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Serious question: Would you have said the same thing about the Denver Broncos in 1996?

I’d say it about the Broncos. The Mariners could use a simplification or emphasize teal. A new font and less “crowded” cap logo would also be nice.

Also, no trident and no blue/yellow. The answers do not lie in the “losing 100 games every year and about to move to Tampa Bay” identities. 

20 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Also, no trident and no blue/yellow. The answers do not lie in the “losing 100 games every year and about to move to Tampa Bay” identities. 

Eeeh, I disagree on the blue and yellow. Their cream alts look pretty friggin' nice with those colors;

spacer.png

At the very least, I think they need to use the old shade of blue over the navy on their current set. Navy, dark green and silver are really bland in an era where sports uniforms have trended to brighter shades; the current set feels like a holdover from that bygone era of dark colors being "in" for sports teams. Having a richer shade of blue could punch up the set a bit.

Archived