Cleveland Indians become the Cleveland Guardians

Bill0813

4 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

At least 10% of any sports fan's Ohio mindspace is taken up remembering it's THE Ohio State University.

You clearly know nothing about being a sports fan in Ohio or humor, for that matter.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

At least 10% of any sports fan's Ohio mindspace is taken up remembering it's THE Ohio State University.

Like it's THE 101 in Los Angeles. To the rest of the world it's just Ohio State Univ... 

1 minute ago, bosrs1 said:
8 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Like it's THE 101 in Los Angeles. To the rest of the world it's just Ohio State Univ... 

Bringing back 40's humor one joke at a time, it's Abbott and Costello, ladies and gentlemen.

BB52Big.jpg

22 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

Cincinnati is the first thing that comes to my mind when thinking about Ohio because of @Sportand because of the timeless classic sports action movie Airborne. This is probably 60% of my retained Ohio history.  

- Mitchell Goosen: Popeye, now there was a great man. Do you know why?
- Wiley: He never joined the Hairclub For Men?
- Mitchell Goosen: Wrong. Because his motto was: “I am what I am”. Do you think Popeye ever worried about what he wore just so he could get Olive Oil in the sack? I should say not, Dude. And do you know why?
- Wiley: He was gay?
- Mitchell Goosen: Because he is what he is.

Still pissed that movie's never been released on Blu-ray.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

“Spiders” had a lot of negative stuff towards it. What better way to piss off fans than by changing your name to the historically worst team ever? Especially only a season after you traded your franchise’s biggest star since Grady Sizemore or even Albert Belle? Bad optics.

I’d prefer Spiders, but the name has some bad optics for a team in a bad position.

It still beat Guardians in every poll I saw, which actually surprised me. I was into Guardians before it was even on the radar as a potential name (~5-7 years ago), but I became a Spiders man over the past few; firmly caught in the web. The potential to build a fun, engaging, complete experience of a brand was much stronger with Spiders, in my opinion. I don’t know if I can envision this stuff having much appeal beyond the ballpark.

3 hours ago, bbush24 said:

Looks like they're going with a custom number font

spacer.png

Sigh. Kern the 1 properly. You’re a professional.

2 hours ago, JTernup said:

Overall I like this and think it’s the best we could’ve hoped for. The new fonts are nice, unique, if not a bit contrived.

The baseball in the flying G is embarrassingly bad, and the perspective is weird. It really looks like clip art or something designed for a coming of age film about a high school baseball player. With that said, their branding speak about the split finger grip of the G really sold me on the concept so I think it should be reworked in the future.

Idk enough about graphic design to express this effectively but the marks all look like something I designed in illustrator as an amateur. There is a flatness there that I don’t typically see from professionals. Do any of our designers have insight into that?

That’s a pretty hard critique to open up with “it’s the best we could’ve hoped for,” no? 🙂

In all seriousness, I agree with your last point. I think they should have leaned a little more into Art Deco and left any semblance of native/primitive aesthetic behind. This toes a strange line. I don’t get the hourglass figure of the C, and zooming in on it, nearly every line in the letter form has a slight curve to it. Makes it look a little bit cartoony. The winged baseball doesn’t help that. Overall, I think this had much more potential than what we got.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

22 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

That is interesting. Cincinnati is kind of an afterthought around here. Like if you asked me to list the cities in Ohio, I'd say Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo, Akron, Dayton............oh, and Cincinnati.

EDIT: For the record, Columbus is the biggest city in Ohio.

That's weird. I go with the Big 3 C's and then Dayton, then Akron because my grandparents lived there, then Athens, then Toledo, then Lima, then Youngstown. 

Here's a fun fact: Cincinnati has the largest metro area in the state right now and the northern burbs are creeping upwards while the southern burbs of Dayton are creeping lower so at the current rate of growth at some point in the next couple decades the Cincinnati metro area will be redefined to include Dayton as one large metroplex and then it's over for all you suckers. 

And if you haven't been to Cincinnati in the last 5 to 10 years I'd suggest coming for another visit because it's gotten sneaky cool as of late. If I didn't live here I wouldn't believe it either. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

- Mitchell Goosen: Popeye, now there was a great man. Do you know why?
- Wiley: He never joined the Hairclub For Men?
- Mitchell Goosen: Wrong. Because his motto was: “I am what I am”. Do you think Popeye ever worried about what he wore just so he could get Olive Oil in the sack? I should say not, Dude. And do you know why?
- Wiley: He was gay?
- Mitchell Goosen: Because he is what he is.

Still pissed that movie's never been released on Blu-ray.

I’m sure an HDTV rip exists on the torrent and newsgroup sites I totally don’t use and don’t recommend anybody uses! 😉

I’ve found HDTV/iTunes rips of things like Gleaming the Cube and Nothing But Trouble. The latter I especially enjoy!

PinkFarFulmar-size_restricted.gif

What a bizarre movie. I propose a movie about the making of Nothing But Trouble.

2 minutes ago, Sport said:

That's weird. I go with the Big 3 C's and then Dayton, then Akron because my grandparents lived there, then Athens, then Toledo, then Lima, then Youngstown. 

Here's a fun fact: Cincinnati has the largest metro area in the state right now and the northern burbs are creeping upwards while the southern burbs of Dayton are creeping lower so at the current rate of growth at some point in the next couple decades the Cincinnati metro area will be redefined to include Dayton as one large metroplex and then it's over for all you suckers. 

And if you haven't been to Cincinnati in the last 5 to 10 years I'd suggest coming for another visit because it's gotten sneaky cool as of late. If I didn't live here I wouldn't believe it either. 

Cincinnati (and Northern Kentucky) were pretty sweet when I last visited in the mid-2000s. And Great American is an incredible ballpark.

I had a way better time in Cincinnati than Cleveland. Glad to hear it's on the rise; American needs affordable, cool cities to live in.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The name is okay. Although I was hoping they would've went with something unexpecting (though thinking it over now, it's probably best they didn't go that way). The logos are average, but I consider this all just a "starter package" and that they'll hopefully do some tweaks and edits down the road.

To those that are bringing up the notion of people outside of Cleveland not getting the name, they don't have to... because it's not aimed at them. If Clevelanders are able to understand the reference of the name, then that's enough because it's their team and what the team was focusing on.

6 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’m sure an HDTV rip exists on the torrent and newsgroup sites I totally don’t use and don’t recommend anybody uses! 😉

I’ve found HDTV/iTunes rips of things like Gleaming the Cube and Nothing But Trouble. The latter I especially enjoy!

PinkFarFulmar-size_restricted.gif

What a bizarre movie. I propose a movie about the making of Nothing But Trouble.

I hate Nothing But Trouble. It makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

3 hours ago, bbush24 said:

spacer.png

They did it...   They did it!   After years of screaming impotently into the darkness, I've seen them put an outline on the cap logo!   I could not care about the rest and be happy based on that alone, but I'm actually pleased with this.   I think the team's uniform set has looked really sharp over the last ten years and their home wordmark, which is an update of the wordmark during their World Championship run and has stood for almost 30 years through two pennants, sitting at the top of the Jake's scoreboard for its entire history, hasn't been thrown away.   That was one of my biggest concerns.   It feels like such an important part of the team's identity for the majority of my life and during their highest highs in 50 years.   I'm glad it's here, even if they font is a little difference.

People are complaining about the font.   I've looked at it on my phone, then I looked at the video.   I find that when it is small and compressed it looks a thousand times more awkward than it does closer up.   Hopefully on the uniforms with raised stitching and such it'll look good.

3 hours ago, GeauxColonels said:

Not commenting on the name one way or the other, but I’m really not a fan of the graphics package. Looks very minor league-ish. 

The winged logo is the worst part to me, but it's not terrible.   It doesn't remind me of minor league, mostly because it seems the antithesis of the rounded Brandiose style.   It reminds me of these old logos from the 40's-70's that ESPN likes to dust off for a montage background.

5329201940.gif5324971950.gif

But in terms of what they're going for... maybe it's the animated way it was first shown to us, but it looks like the little isometric animations I often see on websites of trendy brands over the last five years.   I can't think of an example other than the (not animated in this image, but generally animated when it was shown on other shows) imagery for ESPN's Daily Podcast.

bannerx.jpg?t=637165421540000000

3 hours ago, JustForFun said:

The problem is that no one outside of Cleveland knows why "Guardians" is a locally-appropriate name. When I heard it first, I just assumed it was one of those generic proto-military names.

Knickerbockers, Pacers, Trailblazers, Orioles, Royals, Twins, Padres, Blue Jackets, Winnipeg Jets, Ravens, Bears, Packers, and 49ers could easily mean absolutely nothing to outsiders who don't look into it at all.   It doesn't really matter.

21 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

For me it's Cleveland, then Cincinnati, then Columbus... and then throw in any other town/city

Dayton, Canton, Toledo...   Honestly, if you're not a college/NHL/MLS fan, I can see someone thinking of all three of these before Columbus and possibly Cincy if the only sport you follow is the NBA.   Columbus feels like it can easily be a, Albany or Carson City to the average person.

8 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

Tommy Boy. 

Oh, crap!   Sandusky!   I travelled through Ohio exactly twice to attend a wedding of one of my friends back in his hometown of Detroit.   Actually passed the sign for Sandusky and didn't know it was a real palace.

Wow, I know so many cities in Ohio.   That's weird.

spacer.png

spacer.png

All things considered, I think Cleveland could've done a much worse job. I share the opinion that "Spiders" would've been a much better name, but Guardians is far from bad and the -dians continuity is nice. 

As far as the logos and scripts...it's again fine. I prefer this new "C" cap logo to the current boring block C. The script font is fairly similar and not bad. Overall, the whole rebrand really isn't much of a rebrand, but it's still a net positive moving to an inoffensive nickname and slight changes to the C cap logo. Keeping continuity of a storied franchise is important, too.

...and then there's the flying G logo. I don't know who thought this was a good idea, but I hate everything about it. It's not like an absolutely terrible logo on paper but...it just doesn't work. For starters, the G doesn't have the same serifs as the script, which isn't that big of a deal on its own, but it's very noticable when viewing the logo package as a whole. Secondly, the weird 3D angle just doesn't work. It looks so dated and corny. I really think they would've been better off with a statue head as the secondary logo. 

55 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It’s a sound concept, but it’d look better as a side profile than a 2.5 dimensional logo.

It might look better, but I think they wanted to show the wings on either side of the ball to evoke the Guardian statues, with the ball being the head.

If you go with a side profile it just ends up looking like a winged G on a baseball.

2 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

It's strange how the Twins and Guardians always get picked on to change colors from RWB when they're two of the oldest franchises in the majors.  Pick on someone else.

THANK YOU!!!

A lot of people on this forum say stuff like "Twins should switch to Pink and Green because there's too much RWB in baseball!" We've had these colors since we were the Senators in 1901. Go bug the Rangers, Angels, and Nationals if it annoys you that much. Leave us alone

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

“Spiders” had a lot of negative stuff towards it. What better way to piss off fans than by changing your name to the historically worst team ever? Especially only a season after you traded your franchise’s biggest star since Grady Sizemore or even Albert Belle? Bad optics.

I’d prefer Spiders, but the name has some bad optics for a team in a bad position.

Always thought this was an over-thinkin' it reason to not use the name Spiders. Reasons: 

A. There's no stink surrounding that name because nobody alive now was alive then. Few people know and fewer people care about what happened in late 1800's baseball. It's not bad optics unless you go around shouting "THEY WERE THE WORST TEAM EVER!", which nobody would do.

B. the reasons they were the worst team ever was a bunch of old-timey, barnstorming era of baseball reasons that explain why everything went wrong and I'd argue adds a touch of whimsy and charm to the entire thing.

C. The name would be used by a group of modern 2020's baseball players who would very quickly change any associations people have with the name to just something that means "Cleveland's pro baseball team". The Mets have the worst record in modern baseball history and are still called the Mets. People don't care. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I hate Nothing But Trouble. It makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

Congrats! You’re like 80% of the people who’ve seen this movie and find it revolting, which is 100% understandable and probably the most accurate take. I just love the unfiltered Dan Ackroyd and the set design.

Archived