Cleveland Indians become the Cleveland Guardians

Bill0813

The one thing that bothers me about the flying 'G' is that since there are two of them, if you look at the image from the opposite side... wouldn't you see a backwards 'G'? 

I think it should have been a side profile logo. 

27 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

I know a lot of people here wanted a color change but I think the direction they went in was right. I like the name and the imagery.

Reading the overzealous social justice folks on twitter is something else. They're completely unsatisfied that anything remotely related to the old identity, including fonts and colors was maintained. Claims that they're racist by association or some such nonsense? 

And then there's this reach...

5 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Oof

I'm posting this again because I feel like it was overlooked in the initial flury (and it was hard tracking down logos):

5 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Nice that they looked to a fellow rust belt city for inspiration. Anyone else the flying  G as a reimagining of these two put together? But with a G instead of an R?

9048_rochester_red_wings-primary-1981.pn

20131103094527.png

Fwiw, I like the name, and I like it more than Spiders. Good job Cleveland.

There's really only so much room to maneuver in a winged-baseball logo. Perhaps they should have gone with a different approach?

Always liked the name Guardians for a potential sports team (even though I would have preferred the late XFL team have been called the Gargoyles).

Like the C cap logo.

The flying G baseball is cheesy.

Kind of odd seeing a script logo with flat, sharp lettering.

Overall pretty good rebrand.

6 minutes ago, GFB said:

Count me in with the "Spiders > Guardians" crowd, but as far as names go, it's not bad. 

I think my biggest problem with everything about this brand is how much it reeks of "well actually, we still want our old name and identity." Between the -dians name, keeping all the touchstones of the identity the same (red "C" on a blue hat, new scripts are inspired by the old ones, another decades out-of-date sleeve logo), and keeping the colors the same, it feels like the organization's approach was an attempt to jedi mind trick the universe that there was never a change at all.

The effect of that is like removing a controversial-but-popular painting in a museum and now we're left looking at a printed copy with all the controversial aspects cropped out, rather than simply going out and finding a new work of art to replace it with. 

Look, I realize that that the team has a history that it's mostly proud of and that there are some fans out there who are really happy that the bare minimum changed.  But from an outside perspective, it's been almost 75 years since the team won a World Series and the biggest contribution of the team to pop culture since was a movie from 30 years ago. 

It's ok to let things die sometimes, especially when they've run their course. Some people will disagree and that's ok. I just wish this felt more like a trade of one identity for another rather than a simple whitewashing.

I think you make some good points, but I think it was only a fool's hope (and I was one of those fools) that they'd make a complete overhaul.

If we look back at how they handled this:

• First they downgraded Wahoo
  • Then they started making the logo disappear for the most part
  • Then they officially dropped him
  • Then they announced an upcoming name change, but only after another season with it

Everything has been gradual, they aren't interested in making a big splash or re-inventing the wheel. It's an old team with the same colors as every other baseball team and a recognizable enough uniform template. Guess we'll continue to settle for that. If they had won it in 2016 (or 07 or 97 or... oh god) I'm not sure it'd make it any better. 

For the record, I'll take Major League since I'm not sure what pop culture impact most MLB teams are supposed to be making.

27 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Reading the overzealous social justice folks on twitter is something else. They're completely unsatisfied that anything remotely related to the old identity, including fonts and colors was maintained. Claims that they're racist by association or some such nonsense? 

Pretty sure the Wahoo overlay is tongue-in-cheek. It made me laugh, at least

13 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

What Cleveland did was create a compromise. They built a bridge from the past to the future and they allowed their fans to keep a sense of familiarity. Some people seem to look at that idea as immoral or bad. Complaining on social media has become as human as waking up.

28 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

I think you make some good points, but I think it was only a fool's hope (and I was one of those fools) that they'd make a complete overhaul.

If we look back at how they handled this:

• First they downgraded Wahoo
  • Then they started making the logo disappear for the most part
  • Then they officially dropped him
  • Then they announced an upcoming name change, but only after another season with it

Everything has been gradual, they aren't interested in making a big splash or re-inventing the wheel. It's an old team with the same colors as every other baseball team and a recognizable enough uniform template. Guess we'll continue to settle for that. If they had won it in 2016 (or 07 or 97 or... oh god) I'm not sure it'd make it any better. 

For the record, I'll take Major League since I'm not sure what pop culture impact most MLB teams are supposed to be making.

But maybe that slow, gradual change is why it feels like a Jedi mind trick.  This wasn't a scenario where the team was caught with their pants down and had to whip up an identity in two months... this was a deliberate and methodical process spanning years where the prevailing sentiment turned out to be "only change what you absolutely have to."

Like you mused, maybe an abrupt change would have been out of character for the organization, but if there ever was an understandable opportunity to take a risk, this would have been the time. If a bold, new identity or colors flopped, you could have done this exact identity as a retrace 5 years from now and everyone would have understood and welcomed it.

As for the impression on the cultural zeitgeist, other teams like the White Sox had Michael Jordan, Obama, wild uniforms, etc. But when I think of Cleveland, I guess I think of the Albert Belle, Kenny Lofton teams of the mid-90s... but even then that's far, far down the list after Major League and having/defending a racist logo for decades. It just never struck me as a historic brand worth salvaging in the same way that a Dodgers/Giants/Red Sox/Yankees identity was.

41 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

The one thing that bothers me about the flying 'G' is that since there are two of them, if you look at the image from the opposite side... wouldn't you see a backwards 'G'? 

I think it should have been a side profile logo. 

But you aren’t going to see it from the other side. It’s not a football helmet logo

14 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

I wonder if the Indianapolis Indians (AAA) and Spokane Indians (High A) are going to follow Cleveland's example and dump their names in the near future. 

Indianapolis can just add another -an to their nickname

39 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Wokescolds and their purity culture aren’t worth anybody’s time. Everybody makes mistakes and can play it safe with branding decisions. They’d only be satisfied with the folding of the team for daring to use that name at any point in their history. 

Wokescolds are also quick to turn on their own, so this’ll go back to being ignorable and the Cleveland Guardians can go back to being a largely irrelevant team and topic. The wokescolds will be back to fighting over the cremains of the Homestuck franchise. 

Most of us would have preferred Spiders, but the connection to the pre-1900 losingest team is what doomed it.

I hope that the next logo - the one used feels so like a rush job but won't be used later - incorporates the four statutes.  

Funny, speaking as one of the "overzealous social justice wokescolds" some of y'all are talking about, I really like it. Sure I would have preferred Spiders, and sure the winged-G logo is a little bit goofy, but I really like the pinched-in block C cap logo, and I have a friend of mine who pitched me this name for a video game hockey team years ago, so I already know about its pretty-cool backstory. Besides, pro sports could use a little bit of goofiness, in my humble opinion.

As one buddy of mine on Discord put it: out with the "IN", in with the "GUAR". 8/10