Cleveland Indians become the Cleveland Guardians

Bill0813

40 minutes ago, FlyEaglesFly76 said:

Was hoping for Spiders-but i wanted the Seattle NHL team to go with Metropolitans and that didn't work out so I guess we don't get any revived team franchises RIP

Guardians is alright though to be fair. I like the name but it kinda makes me want to call them the Guardians of Cleveland

At least if basketball comes back that's one example that absolutely has to be revived.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Tom Hanks is a longtime Indians fan and he has some connections to Cleveland. I guess he used to act in Cleveland before he was famous.

Hanks spent several summers involved with Cleveland's Great Lakes Shakespeare Festival, later the Great Lakes Theater Festival, and now the Great Lakes Theater. He credits his time there - which included earning his Actors' Equity Association card and winning a Cleveland Critics Circle Award - with convincing him to pursue a career as an actor. He's been instrumental in raising money for the company, particularly during the campaign to renovate the Hanna Theater in Playhouse Square into its new home.

I bumped into Hanks in Santa Monica a number of years ago while I was wearing a Great Lakes Theater t-shirt (a friend had just appeared in a production with the company and I'd picked up the shirt while in Cleveland to attend her performance). He immediately wanted to know if I'd attended the festival or performed at either the Ohio or Hanna Theaters. I explained the circumstances behind my sporting the shirt and asked if he'd been involved with Great Lakes Theater. He couldn't have been more enthusiastic in reminiscing about his experiences and heaping praise on the institution. His time there certainly made an indelible impression upon him.      

9 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Tom Hanks is a longtime Indians fan and he has some connections to Cleveland. I guess he used to act in Cleveland before he was famous.

Great Lakes Shakespeare Festival mid 1970's. Tom saw a lot of bad Tribe baseball at Cleveland Municipal Stadium.  

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I got so excited you were going to link me to an Airborne release, but it's Nothing But Trouble instead!

Sorry. Hahaha Hey, Rad was finally released on bluray last year, so there is still hope for Airborne!!! Another 2 of my favs, Twins and Popeye, also finally got a physical blu release in the past year or so. I bet Airborne will at some point get a blu.

1 hour ago, zigbazah said:

I'd prefer a winged G without the baseball.

You know how to make a real G logo look better?

Add a baseball to it...

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

4 hours ago, infrared41 said:

It all depends on where one is in Ohio would be my guess. I got nothing against Cincinnati, I just have a northern Ohio bias or something.

Athens? Mansfield is bigger than Athens.

I went to college in Athens and it’s one of the best places on earth. The only thing I know about Mansfield is their high school baseball team in 2005 was a bunch of a***oles. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

This is funny.

Cleveland, where we can't let Chief Wahoo go that easily.

Jokes aside, I feel like this isn't going to be their primary logo.

They may actually go with another typical roundel like everyone else seems to be doing, now.

I could be wrong and feel free to correct... and I don't think it's horrible, but I feel like this isn't THE logo in which they're going to present this new identity. 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

2 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

This is funny.

Cleveland, where we can't let Chief Wahoo go that easily.

The similarity of the feather crossed my mind. This and ____dians are acceptable nods to the past IMO.  Kind of fun.  I preferred Spiders and looking back...but if looking forward is the direction this is probably the next best.

4 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

The new C is better than the old block C and more importantly IT FINALLY HAS A WHITE OUTLINE!

All in all this was the best route they could've went and I am digging it. Don't care for the main logo.

I like the current without the outline,  but no complaints here. New C is more distinctive and probably a stronger identity in the long run.

8 minutes ago, Sport said:

I went to college in Athens and it’s one of the best places on earth. The only thing I know about Mansfield is their high school baseball team in 2005 was a bunch of a***oles. 

I know you did. Athens on your list of cities is what threw me. Athens is great. I've been to Athens many times. My brother graduated from OU, one of my best friends is an OU alum, and I'm planning a motorcycle ride down that way next month. It's a great place, but I see Athens more as a town.

Fun Fact: I went to my first Halloween weekend at OU in 1983. By that Sunday, I was seriously contemplating changing my ways. It was that much fun. Fortunately, I got better at it and I was fine with being a raging alcoholic for the weekend.

BB52Big.jpg

11 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

It's strange how the Twins and Guardians always get picked on to change colors from RWB when they're two of the oldest franchises in the majors.  Pick on someone else.

I think the font could be a little thicker and sturdier, but overall a good, if not great, rebrand. I like the G-ball logo a lot more knowing it's supposed to mimic a split-finger grip.

Two of the oldest, but both with name changes!

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’d like a blu-ray of Sidekicks. It’s a fun little romp.

Remember when we didn’t know Chuck Norris was a total whack-job?

Fun Fact: One of two movies that I watched with my father in an otherwise empty theatre.   The other was Huck Finn from around that time.

I can't believe that doesn't have a recent release.   But it's wild what does and doesn't get good relationships.   I can't get a copy of McLintock! restored so that it doesn't keep going back and forth between Theatrical release and VHS quality?   It's the Duke!   Come on!

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've have some time to think about this and this is how I feel. It's not a perfect identity by any means. But I think it will grow on me. The guardian+ball+g logo is bad. After someone pointed out the Major League logo and I can definitely see the similarities. It looks like something that could have been around for decades. But honestly in a league with baseball headed mascot logos like Me Met, cartoon birds and bat swinging friars is it really that weird? The name is great, but I'm also a Cleveland fan and understand the reference. The league literally has two teams named after socks and one named after a color. Guess my point is, MLB isn't really the gold standard when it comes to logos and nicknames. If they had been called Guardians and had these same logos for 50 years nobody would think anything of it. 

The script feels like the Indians script, but with an art deco vibe and even a bit of rock and roll feel mixed in. The C logo is a nice enough evolution and will work nicely on caps and as the new (hopefully) primary. 

Overall I'm happy and this could have been much worse. Definitely don't think it deserves all the negativity. But in this current age of social media, people just seem to :censored: and complain about everything. 

Archived