Cleveland Indians become the Cleveland Guardians

Bill0813

12 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Here’s a comparison of what I was talking about earlier between the new “C” and a more straight, angular version:

aeQMGc3.jpg

To be honest, the more I look at the two, the more I like what Cleveland actually went with. It has more life and character to it.

@SFGiants58's revision is superior to both.spacer.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that cap monograms and wordmarks often don’t match, but for some reason the difference  between this cap C and Cleveland mark C are way more obvious and clashing. Maybe it’s just the presentation of a new logo system that makes it unable to be unseen.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 7/30/2021 at 7:37 PM, Brian in Boston said:

The Kansas City Chiefs were the last major professional sports team to adopt a Native American identity that is still utilizing said identity. That said, they were the third-to-last North American "Big Four" major pro team to actually embrace a Native American-themed brand.

Today's Los Angeles Clippers began their existence as the Buffalo Braves in 1970... seven years after Lamar Hunt selected Kansas City Chiefs as the name of his relocating AFL Dallas Texans.
spacer.png

Four years after the Braves hit the NBA hardwood, and eleven years after the Chiefs' debut, the current New Jersey Devils took to the NHL ice  as the Kansas City Scouts in 1974. The franchise's owners wanted to dub their club the Kansas City Mohawks, but the Chicago Blackhawks claimed that said name infringed upon their identity.    
 spacer.png

Maybe not "major", but the Atlanta Chiefs also came after the Kansas City Chiefs.

The name originally appeared in 1968.  It was revived in 1979 when the  Caribous of Colorado relocated to Atlanta.

spacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 8/5/2021 at 9:23 AM, bbush24 said:

@SFGiants58's revision is superior to both.spacer.png

25 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

It isn't superior if it is supposed to mimic the Guardian statues, though.

Agreed, although replacing white with the sandstone color is a nice nod to the statues.

KQIPLZBW4BCILANXYFS2JEYXSU.JPG

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed, although replacing white with the sandstone color is a nice nod to the statues.

KQIPLZBW4BCILANXYFS2JEYXSU.JPG

That was exactly my goal. Using off-white and dark sand colors to mimic the statues, while keeping their upper peak in the letters (per the lettering and number font). Frankly, the tapering on the original seemed to come out of nowhere. I like the sharp serifs as a bit of “character,” to deviate from the Block C’s relative dullness.

31 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Double post, but this seems a bit intriguing:

It could just be a fashion jersey, but I wish this had been the team’s home jersey all season. 

It is listed as

"Men's Cleveland Indians Nike White Alternate Replica Team Jersey"

Shame wish they used the old Cleveland script from the homes, but whatever.

22 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

It could just be a fashion jersey, but I wish this had been the team’s home jersey all season. 

Once they made the decision to drop the name, they should have done this.  Bridges the gap until they're ready to start wearing the new ones.

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

Am I missing something? How does the inward bend mimic the statues?

That's what I thought I had read.

EDIT - The tapered C was designed to recall letterforms of the 1920 and 1948 Champions.  It was the shape of the diamond C that was based on the shape of the Guardians of traffic pylons.

It's where I sit.

31 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

That's what I thought I had read.

EDIT - The tapered C was designed to recall letterforms of the 1920 and 1948 Champions.  It was the shape of the diamond C that was based on the shape of the Guardians of traffic pylons.

I don’t think either team used tapered letterforms, unless basic block, slab-serif block, and a Wishbone C are “tapered.” 

1920: 

spacer.png
spacer.png

1948:

spacer.png

spacer.png

It’s branding speak BS and ahistorical. Just say “we did it because it looked cool.”

4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I don’t think either team used tapered letterforms, unless basic block, slab-serif block, and a Wishbone C are “tapered.” 

It’s branding speak BS and ahistorical. Just say “we did it because it looked cool.”

Just repeating what's on the mothership. 

It's where I sit.

10 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Fair. I’m more angsty about the Guardians’ rushed press release to combat the leak, with the shaky reasoning for the taper.

Yeah, I agree that I really don't see the historical 'precedent' (wrong word completely- maybe ancestor or inspiration) for the taper. 

It's where I sit.

I heard a promo for Wait Wait Don't Tell Me this morning. What they thought would get me to listen was a clip of Hari Kondabolu, famous for finding problems with Apu, complaining that "Cleveland Guardians" was still a bad name and might as well be "Cleveland Foster Parents" to a round of applause. They're winning so much they're gonna get sick of winning.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/6/2021 at 2:35 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Has anyone ever adopted a mid season half season jersey previously? 

Archived