Cleveland Indians become the Cleveland Guardians

Bill0813

14 hours ago, Needschat said:

Actual Indigenous people have been behind the change for years!  Not those who just claim to be "Native American", which was the sample group for the Washington Post poll.

We shouldn’t let our own familiarly and nostalgia diminish, mock, or override the very real concerns of actual Native Americans, who want it gone.

For example:

Spiders appears to be the frontrunner on the sports nerd Twitter beat.  Blues, Rockers are also up there.

Spiders makes too much sense for them to possibly choose it. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also a fan of Blues, my only concern would be St. Louis' NHL team. I find it highly unlikely in this day and age for a team to adopt the same name as another (without historical precedence, like Winnipeg) but if they do go with Blues, I'd be more than ok with it.

the user formerly known as cdclt

The thing with the Blues moniker is "Blues", by itself, is indefensible as a trademark; that's why the NHL team is always called by the full "St. Louis Blues" when it comes to the trademarks. If the MLB team uses "Cleveland Blues" as a trademark, there's not really a lot St. Louis could put up a fight with considering the only overlap is an term that would be indefensible due to it's genericness. 

I feel the New York and Winnipeg situation would be applicable here; different sport, different market.

If they go with Blues, wouldn’t they have to change their color scheme just to better fit the name? They just started to use more red and I wouldn’t want them to go back. 

I know it’s Blues as the musical genre and not color but most people are gonna think the color first. 

XM4KeeA.png

6 minutes ago, insert name said:

If they go with Blues, wouldn’t they have to change their color scheme just to better fit the name? They just started to use more red and I wouldn’t want them to go back. 

I know it’s Blues as the musical genre and not color but most people are gonna think the color first. 

Well, the St. Louis Blues wore a lot of yellow (and red, sometimes) on their uniforms for a long time. It shouldn’t be an issue if navy is still the cap crown, undershirt, and primary sock color. Adding light blue accents would certainly help.

7 minutes ago, insert name said:

Navy, Columbia and Scarlet can work pretty well together.

yDey1pY.png 

Baseball jerseys for my IFA soccer team. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 minutes ago, insert name said:

White Sox use mostly black and the Red Sox are loaded with navy blue and the Reds are heavy with black... not exactly the same but the Cleveland Blues could find ways to keep their navy and red color scheme and still be called the Blues. Also, to a less successful degree but let's not forget the how the Blue Jays were mostly in black for almost a decade.

2 hours ago, NightmareinParis said:

Rockers shouldn't even be considered since the Rockies exist. Not to mention they were already a WNBA team.

How about the Cleveland Rocks?

Edit: Due to not reading any of the previous pages, I now submit this suggestion ironically

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

46 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The thing with the Blues moniker is "Blues", by itself, is indefensible as a trademark; that's why the NHL team is always called by the full "St. Louis Blues" when it comes to the trademarks.

MLS has this same issue with 'FC', except its also indefensible as a name.

Who broke Cleveand's title drought? The Dan Gilbert-owned Cavs. Honor him.

The Cleveland Comic Sans. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

My personal rankings of nicknames based on what's been discussed here:

1. Spiders

2. Barons

3. Sparrows

4. Robins

5. Guardians

6. Blues

Barons would be a nice concession. Would be kinda cool in a way to have two MLB teams named after former NHL teams... I guess. Sparrows and Robins just seems so generically classic that they fit with Cleveland MLB, kinda like how they went with the block C. New name, but still a historical feel. Almost like you really did just change the name in the historical records, not the franchise itself.

On 7/4/2020 at 11:03 AM, -Akronite- said:

Those are my tops, with "Rocks" or simply "Cleveland Baseball Club" also feeling acceptable. Not into "Guardians" or "Baseball Browns"

On 7/4/2020 at 11:09 AM, SFGiants58 said:

Rocks/Rockers

On 7/4/2020 at 11:43 AM, ghost316 said:

I bet designers/brand developers would love to get their hooks into the Rockers/Rocks.

On 12/13/2020 at 8:27 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Cleveland Rox

On 12/13/2020 at 8:30 PM, Cujo said:

Please let it be Cleveland Rocks.

😂💀

On 12/13/2020 at 10:46 PM, DellFan Productions said:

I really hope they go with the Cleveland Rockstars. It's appropriate to Cleveland because they have the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Plus, they had the All-Star Game logo look like a guitar when they hosted it in 2019. Sounds way better than the Spiders in my opinion.

On 12/14/2020 at 7:43 AM, DEAD! said:

How about the Cleveland "Rocks"? ... forget what Denver thinks. 

18 hours ago, Needschat said:

Spiders appears to be the frontrunner on the sports nerd Twitter beat.  Blues, Rockers are also up there.

19 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

How about the Cleveland Rocks?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47mk4ogj4zuocrvzeuv0

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived