Bill81361

Report: Cleveland Indians to Drop Name

Recommended Posts

The Cleveland Grovers.  They can claim they've won the American League in multiple non-consecutive seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BBTV said:

The Cleveland Grovers.  They can claim they've won the American League in multiple non-consecutive seasons.

Mike Hargrove Action Photo Print - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

This, or Grover fixing his pants, helmet and pine tar 20 times before stepping into the box, has to be the logo. Minus Wahoo of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Cleveland Wild Things anyone?

web1_web_vaughan_1021_7252333.jpg

Saw a concept that said the Cleveland Citizens, but their mascot and logo should be something with this guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

 

Named after the greatest catcher in franchise history.

 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anyone who says Spiders is a bad name sounds like Randy Quaid from Major League II to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Mike Hargrove Action Photo Print - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

This, or Grover fixing his pants, helmet and pine tar 20 times before stepping into the box, has to be the logo. Minus Wahoo of course.

 

Cleveland Rain Delays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IceCap said:

I thought that's what you meant because that's what popped into my head reading your posts. 

"Ethnicities aren't interchangeable" really does read like that to me. Sorry if you're flustered that's how it came off to someone else, but 🤷‍♂️ 

I think you'd rather deal with me telling you my honest opinion on the matter than holding back and continuing to hold that opinion to myself.

 

I wouldn't say flustered. It kind of made me sad. I'm sure you have reasons why you felt the way you did but it was uncharitable. I understand this is the internet and you don't know me, it just feels crappy. Discussions just involving race in the western world don't seem to be getting less adversarial it seems like the opposite. Assigning intent or judgement of character without investigation isn't a good way to solve most issues and there are people on all sides of these discussions are guilty of it. I hope it gets better but who knows if it will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my post about name ideas, it already got kinda long so I didn't want to discuss EVERYTHING.   But I do think Wild Things is a good option.   Is it goofy and minor league?   Kinda.   But it's got a big link to possibly the biggest cultural touchstone the team has and it ties into Rock and Roll as well.   The baseball with a mohawk or the skull and crossbones from the glasses would be serviceable logos.   The uniforms wouldn't have to change, unless you go back to a throwback from the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

In my post about name ideas, it already got kinda long so I didn't want to discuss EVERYTHING.   But I do think Wild Things is a good option.   Is it goofy and minor league?   Kinda.   But it's got a big link to possibly the biggest cultural touchstone the team has and it ties into Rock and Roll as well.   The baseball with a mohawk or the skull and crossbones from the glasses would be serviceable logos.   The uniforms wouldn't have to change, unless you go back to a throwback from the time.

It came from a movie about the team when they were horrible. It has less to do with the actual team than Spiders does. And that's not even the same team that's still playing in Cleveland now. How long would this name last before they go back into the well for another identity? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

In my post about name ideas, it already got kinda long so I didn't want to discuss EVERYTHING.   But I do think Wild Things is a good option.   Is it goofy and minor league?   Kinda.   But it's got a big link to possibly the biggest cultural touchstone the team has and it ties into Rock and Roll as well.   The baseball with a mohawk or the skull and crossbones from the glasses would be serviceable logos.   The uniforms wouldn't have to change, unless you go back to a throwback from the time.


No Mohawks after you change your name from Indians. Mohawk is a tribe of Indians. Skull and cross bones might be to close to stupid stereotypes for Indians as well. 

Wild Things...ehhh. But without either of those other two images I don't think it works.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still like the idea of using train imagery as a team identity. Cleveland Conductors or something similar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It came from a movie about the team when they were horrible. It has less to do with the actual team than Spiders does. And that's not even the same team that's still playing in Cleveland now. How long would this name last before they go back into the well for another identity? 

 

Has less to do with the team?   Much like Angels in the Outfield and Bull Durham, it's kind of a part of the team's culture.

 

2 minutes ago, selgy said:

No Mohawks after you change your name from Indians. Mohawk is a tribe of Indians. Skull and cross bones might be to close to stupid stereotypes for Indians as well. 

Wild Things...ehhh. But without either of those other two images I don't think it works.  

 

All right.   Human Beings it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

 

Has less to do with the team?   Much like Angels in the Outfield and Bull Durham, it's kind of a part of the team's culture.

 

 

All right.   Human Beings it is.

and neither team is changing their name or identity as a whole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

 

Has less to do with the team?   Much like Angels in the Outfield and Bull Durham, it's kind of a part of the team's culture.

 

 

All right.   Human Beings it is.


Only if the Dean from Community gets to throw out every first pitch!

1733450791-Dean-gif.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

I wouldn't say flustered. It kind of made me sad. I'm sure you have reasons why you felt the way you did but it was uncharitable. I understand this is the internet and you don't know me, it just feels crappy.

I have my reasons. Ethnically speaking I'm half white European and half Jewish. I've heard every derogatory term you can think of- for people of mixed ancestry and just Jews in general- hurled at me with increasing frequency (thankfully not here...anymore). 

 

I've been in the muck of this sort of discussion before so no. I'm not "reaching" as SWoD accused me of doing. When I say "this reminds me of something actual racists say" I wasn't saying it to get a rise or win internet "gotcha" points. 

 

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

Discussions just involving race in the western world don't seem to be getting less adversarial it seems like the opposite.

It's contentious stuff because of history and context. There's a lot of nasty stuff in our collective past that justifiably raises emotions.  

 

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

Assigning intent or judgement of character without investigation isn't a good way to solve most issues and there are people on all sides of these discussions are guilty of it. I hope it gets better but who knows if it will

As I said, I arrived at the conclusions I did because of my own experiences in discussion that involve race and ethnicity. You start to pick out key phrases after you hear them or read them enough times.

 

If you truly did not mean anything malicious by your wording though? Then I am sorry 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

I wonder if someone ever brought up the Cleveland Midges like the bugs that distracted Joba Chamberlain in the 2007 ALDS


About 20 pages ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IceCap said:

I have my reasons. Ethnically speaking I'm half white European and half Jewish. I've heard every derogatory term you can think of- for people of mixed ancestry and just Jews in general- hurled at me with increasing frequency (thankfully not here...anymore). 

 

I've been in the muck of this sort of discussion before so no. I'm not "reaching" as SWoD accused me of doing. When I say "this reminds me of something actual racists say" I wasn't saying it to get a rise or win internet "gotcha" points. 

 

It's contentious stuff because of history and context. There's a lot of nasty stuff in our collective past that justifiably raises emotions.  

 

As I said, I arrived at the conclusions I did because of my own experiences in discussion that involve race and ethnicity. You start to pick out key phrases after you hear them or read them enough times.

 

If you truly did not mean anything malicious by your wording though? Then I am sorry 🙂

I am really happy that we got to this point because I legitimately didn't mean anything nefarious or harmful. Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.