Cleveland Indians become the Cleveland Guardians

Bill0813

The Tribe adding silver in the aughts was one of the dumbest design choices they ever made. It was never dumber than when they took Chief Wahoo, the most antiquated logo in the majors, and outlined it in silver -- for the fyoo-chor! 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, kimball said:

If you want to tie the team name with tradition, while avoiding a past Cleveland baseball name like the Naps or Spiders, there’s a perfect name just waiting to be used ...

Cleveland Browns

Taps into the tradition of baseball/football teams sharing names, it’s not a uncommonly used name (St. Louis) and you could keep the look simple with a brown and orange color scheme. Maybe even bring back the elf?

Unfortunately, the modern hyper-protective approach to trademarks and branding prevent there from being a Cleveland baseball Browns. I agree, it would be one of the top options if possible.

It still slightly baffles me that there was a St. Louis football Cardinals as late as 1987.

I think I might've posted something similar earlier in this thread, but don't feel like looking back and the search function's bricked.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Tribe adding silver in the aughts was one of the dumbest design choices they ever made. It was never dumber than when they took Chief Wahoo, the most antiquated logo in the majors, and outlined it in silver -- for the fyoo-chor! 

No kidding. I hate double outlines 90% of the time. It was not an exception to the rule. 

Also, there’s only one way to sum this up:

spacer.png

rich GIF

You guys found a way to make Wahoo’s structural problems (with details and outlining) even worse!

This just reminds me how awful Chief Wahoo is from a design standpoint AND a symbolism standpoint. I might understand if there was any nostalgia with it but this is like people telling me the Mariners’ “S” is untouchable because we had a couple good non-championship years with it.

The only people who like Chief Wahoo at this point are the loud, vocal online minority who think that the “PC Police” are a much bigger problem than the 75,000 other, actually bigger problems in the world.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Cleveland Cleavers.  They could give out foam cleavers for the kids to chop with.

meat-cleaver-vector-22.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, TenaciousG said:

This just reminds me how awful Chief Wahoo is from a design standpoint

I always thought it was a great aesthetic on the uniforms, especially the cap. It's very bright and bold and stands out

MLRL5NJX3NHBZI7MTCMZU5DQR4.jpg

The only people who like Chief Wahoo at this point are the loud, vocal online minority who think that the “PC Police” are a much bigger problem than the 75,000 other, actually bigger problems in the world.

Nah I just like how it looks

5 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

I always thought it was a great aesthetic on the uniforms, especially the cap. It's very bright and bold and stands out

Nah I just like how it looks

It’s the fugliest logo in MLB history. The line weights are all over the place, the detailing on the teeth is very degraded, the lines near the nose makes it look like he has a mustache, and the ears and feather details might as well be from two separate types of logos. It was hideous and I’m glad it’s gone from both a design and social perspective.

Wahoo needed to go away back in 1994. Dumping Wahoo and/or getting the name changed should’ve been a requirement to get public money for the new stadium. 

1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

I thought the cap was the worst use of it. Major-league teams should have letters on their caps. I liked the previous block C with the rounded-off interior corners. 

Had it not been for Major League raising Cleveland Indians awareness to new heights, I think it probably would have gone by the wayside in the '90s, though the idea of the Ohio legislature muscling them into getting rid of it presupposes a social climate that I struggle to believe existed in 1991. It wouldn't even exist now if the cops hadn't killed one too many black guys while everyone had nothing to do.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

My perspective as a fan of the team.

- Wahoo definitely had to go

- Team name should go, but I don't agree that keeping it one more year is some huge hypocrisy. It's not PC. But it's not a blatant slur like Washington or the cartoon equivalent of a slur like Wahoo.

- That said, I'll likely lose interest if the name's anything other than Spiders.  Anything new feels like a different expansion team.

-Of course, I've already lost interest in a broken sport without a salary cap and a team who won't even invest when they're at the cusp of a championship.

-Learned a lot of history lately. We know Spiders were a different franchise, but the AL club replaced them and purchased their assets, so there is a thread of continuity.

-Thought the Sockalexis origin story was bogus, but not entirely.  The Spiders were called Indians when he played for them, whether it was in honor or mockery...and the Indians name revived that name at the height of the Braves popularity.  So ultimately the name did originate from him, just with a degree of separation.

So if the Spiders were also called the Indians, the Indians should now be called the Spiders.  I just can't see a new modern name for a 120 year old team.

The wahoo logo always seemed like an iconic baseball logo to me. I think it's because it reminded me of Looney Tunes. The Major League movies probably had something to do with it too. The older I got realized what it really was and I understood the anti-wahoo sentiment. I've never been a fan of the plain C as the replacement though. The fact that the C was so basic (but mostly) that it didn't match any other part of the uniform has always bugged me.

Speaking of Major League....why not the Cleveland Wild Things? :P 

GreatRingedHog-small.gif

Or maybe the Cleveland Careys? Cleveland Drews? :P:P

195b5508358c45dc638163515838963b.gif

Sydney Swans / Newcastle Knights / Newcastle United Jets / Sydney Thunder / Sydney Kings / NSW Waratahs / NSW Pride / Australia

Manchester United / Montreal Canadiens / Green Bay Packers / New York Yankees / Bayern Munich / Ajax Amsterdam / Glasgow Rangers

12 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

It’s the fugliest logo in MLB history. The line weights are all over the place, the detailing on the teeth is very degraded, the lines near the nose makes it look like he has a mustache, and the ears and feather details might as well be from two separate types of logos. It was hideous and I’m glad it’s gone from both a design and social perspective.

Wahoo needed to go away back in 1994. Dumping Wahoo and/or getting the name changed should’ve been a requirement to get public money for the new stadium. 

Chief Wahoo didn’t have a mustache?!

Archived