Cleveland Indians become the Cleveland Guardians

Bill0813

10 hours ago, chakfu said:

- Team name should go, but I don't agree that keeping it one more year is some huge hypocrisy. It's not PC. But it's not a blatant slur like Washington or the cartoon equivalent of a slur like Wahoo.

It's hypocrisy because the team owner himself said that using it is "unacceptable", yet he's going to use it for one or two more years.  So he's doing something that he himself said was unacceptable.

Had he simply said something like "we feel that the time is right to move on from the name and start a new chapter" or something like that, I don't think anyone would be up in arms about them using it in this interim phase.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he didn't call it "unacceptable," lots of people would have been up in arms about that too. You must never show remorse, you're inviting the vampire into your home.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don’t know that “Major League” necessarily pardoned Wahoo for the next thirty years; a similar thing happened around the same time with “Angels in the Outfield” only for Disney to nuke that identity almost immediately anyway. And the Indians did tweak to the bulbous script era thereafter, which was maybe more iconic anyway given their status as the best consistent 90s team that couldn’t ever actually win it.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

I don’t know that “Major League” necessarily pardoned Wahoo for the next thirty years; a similar thing happened around the same time with “Angels in the Outfield” only for Disney to nuke that identity almost immediately anyway.

Major League had more immediate cultural cache than the Angels remake (which, I argue, is a prequel to Mysterious Skin). That translated into Wahoo’s survival/entry into the pop culture zeitgeist. 

55 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Major League had more immediate cultural cache than the Angels remake (which, I argue, is a prequel to Mysterious Skin). That translated into Wahoo’s survival/entry into the pop culture zeitgeist. 

Much in the same way that The Scout propelled the interlocking NY into the pop culture zeitgeist.

6BUBKgk.png

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Angels in the Outfield isn't a beloved and eminently quotable basic-cable movie, it's just an even more mawkish little brother of Rookie of the Year

Were there a lot of super popular 90's baseball films or was it just that I was super into baseball at the time? Rookie of the Year, Sandlot, Angels in the Outfield, Little Big League...

Don't forget A League of Their Own and Mr. Baseball, I'm guessing there was a cinematic baseball boom on the heels of Field of Dreams and Major League. Good timing, since the early '90s was when Major League Baseball first started wobbling with the ill-conceived move to CBS and a Canadian team winning, followed by the ol' you-know-what.

Eh, the earlier conversation's dead and gladly dead.   It's nice to have all that wind up in a happy place where everyone knows everyone's genuine and coming from a good place.   I'll let it lie.

15 hours ago, O.C.D said:

The wahoo logo always seemed like an iconic baseball logo to me. I think it's because it reminded me of Looney Tunes. The Major League movies probably had something to do with it too. The older I got realized what it really was and I understood the anti-wahoo sentiment. I've never been a fan of the plain C as the replacement though. The fact that the C was so basic (but mostly) that it didn't match any other part of the uniform has always bugged me.

The block C is so much the antithesis of the entire rest of the Cleveland identity, and shoehorning in uniforms with wordmarks that better match it hasn't helped things, not to mention the fact that it just doesn't read well.   A white outline would make it a thousand times better.

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Perhaps it has something to do with the age range.   One grows into one and out of another.   But I do still think of Angels in the Outfield whenever I see the last wanings of a crescent moon.

3 hours ago, Survival79 said:

Much in the same way that The Scout propelled the interlocking NY into the pop culture zeitgeist.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

No, it was obviously Fred Durst!

Wow, I forgot about that one.   Also, Jay-Z made it quite clear he made a Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can.

Honestly.   That's such a slight to the team and we were rocking that song so much.

Also don't forget what Elaine Benes did bringing the Oriole cap awareness.

elaine-os.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

40 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Also, Jay-Z made it quite clear he made a Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can.

Yes, another one of his classic lines, alongside "I can see the future, invest in AstraZeneca, I control so much real estate I should celebrate Hanukkah" or whatever else he says

On 12/26/2020 at 6:51 PM, TenaciousG said:

This just reminds me how awful Chief Wahoo is from a design standpoint AND a symbolism standpoint. I might understand if there was any nostalgia with it but this is like people telling me the Mariners’ “S” is untouchable because we had a couple good non-championship years with it.

The only people who like Chief Wahoo at this point are the loud, vocal online minority who think that the “PC Police” are a much bigger problem than the 75,000 other, actually bigger problems in the world.

MOD EDIT

Seattle probably should change their logo. It's been 30 years, yes, but they've done :censored: all in those 30 years, except a few exciting but ultimately unfulfillling playoff runs. That franchise needs any kind of a boost and a new identity feels very necessary.

Fred Durst did a lot to popularize alternate color hats, but not so much the Yankees in general. It's the got damn Yankees.

The end scene of The Scout is so funny. Brenden Fraser helicopters into the World Series to throw a perfect game with 27 strikeouts and hit a home run or two. They went way over the top in his stats. And that's the only part of the Scout I've seen; I'm not watching two hours of Albert Brooks no way.

Other 90s baseball movie: The Fan.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

17 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Not even in Broadcast News? Defending Your Life was decent. 

I've been meaning to watch Broadcast News for a long time, but that's in large part because William Hurt is in it.

My parents rented Defending Your Life when I was a kiddo and it's a perfect VHS movie. So is Lost in America, which I own on blu-ray, have watched, and recall nothing. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Seattle probably should change their logo. It's been 30 years, yes, but they've done :censored: all in those 30 years, except a few exciting but ultimately unfulfillling playoff runs. That franchise needs any kind of a boost and a new identity feels very necessary.

Fred Durst did a lot to popularize alternate color hats, but not so much the Yankees in general. It's the got damn Yankees.

The end scene of The Scout is so funny. Brenden Fraser helicopters into the World Series to throw a perfect game with 27 strikeouts and hit a home run or two. They went way over the top in his stats. And that's the only part of the Scout I've seen; I'm not watching two hours of Albert Brooks no way.

Other 90s baseball movie: The Fan.

Random facts. Sorry off topic. 

Al Brooks real name is Albert Einstein and his brother is/was Super Dave Osborne/Bob Einstein  

Now back to our regularly scheduled program! 

Captain Adama and Dr. Melfi / Karen Hill in a baseball movie?  No thanks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived