Bill81361

Report: Cleveland Indians to Drop Name

I do like they they gradually transitioned into this over several years and not just did a knee-jerk reaction overnight.

Spiders should 100% be it if you asked me. Cool name, potential cool logo, historic name for Cleveland baseball.

Knowing Cleveland AL ownership, "Spiders" wouldn't be a subtle name; they'd go all out with some wacky angry spider logo and a mascot named something like "Rockantula". I'd prefer something a little less easy to make into a cheesy look. ūüėõ

Why do I have a feeling the ownership is going to screw the name up?!

I'm happy the battle is finally coming to an end. Am I happy to see the name go, no, but I'm excited for the future.

4 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Do we know when they'll be announcing a new name? Is that coming with the announcement that their old name is no longer in use? 

From the sounds of it, they won't be announcing the new name any time soon.

This is exciting, and not only because completely new MLB identities don't come around too often. This is just the 5th in my lifetime - Rockies, Marlins, Diamondbacks, Devil Rays, and Nationals. I'm choosing not to count California/Anaheim/LA Angels.

I remember really hoping that the Expos would adopt an identity inspired by a Negro League team (Grays, specifically) upon their move to DC. I'd love for that to be an option here, but it doesn't work as well, as Cleveland's various Negro League teams (Browns, Elites, Hornets, [Tate] Stars, Tigers, Cubs, Giants, Red Sox, Buckeyes, Bears) just don't have alluring names. Anything that isn't already taken by an MLB team (Browns, Hornets, Stars, Buckeyes) is already taken by another Big 4 or major college team, or just doesn't work (Elites).

Forest Citys is just too archaic, so I guess it's either Spiders or Blues (both fine, but not enthralled by either) or something completely new.

2 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

This is exciting, as completely new MLB identities don't come around too often. This is just the 5th in my lifetime - Rockies, Marlins, Diamondbacks, Devil Rays, and Nationals.

I remember really hoping that the Expos would adopt an identity inspired by a Negro League team (Grays, specifically) upon their move to DC. I'd love for that to be an option here, but it doesn't work as well, as Cleveland's various Negro League teams (Browns, Elites, Hornets, [Tate] Stars, Tigers, Cubs, Giants, Red Sox, Buckeyes, Bears) just don't have alluring names. Anything that isn't already taken by an MLB team (Browns, Hornets, Stars, Buckeyes) is already taken by another Big 4 or major college team, or just doesn't work (Elites).

Forest Citys is just too archaic, so I guess it's either Spiders or Blues (both fine, but not enthralled by either) or something completely new.

I don't think it ever happens, but I'd love for the soon-to-be-former Indians to become the Cleveland Baseball Browns. If not that, then what about becoming the Spiders and going to Brown/Red/Cream?

I had a Chief Wahoo cap that I absolutely adored and wore to death back in the 90's because Cleveland were my favorite non-Cubs baseball team. Anyway, point is that kids don't know nothing.

1 minute ago, Survival79 said:

No love for the Cleveland Lake Shores?

That would be a terrible name for a pro sports team.

Cleveland Heroes would be a pretty nifty marketing choice. It ties the team identity to the year of the name change (Covid heroes) and is flexible enough to encompass things like the local medical community (Cleveland Clinic), the R&R HOF (think guitar heroes), military tributes, and also the broader super hero craze. 

7 minutes ago, RichardWitham said:

i'm calling them the cleveland jabronis

The board should adopt that as the interim name.  

They probably could have managed to get away with the name if they had done the work 10/15 years ago of dropping the more obviously racist parts of their identity and maybe gone the Spokane route and collaborated with local Native organizations. Oh well, they built their bed dragging out Wahoo for so long.

Spiders or Guardians are by far my favourites, so of course it won’t be that. I’ve seen Heroes as a shoutout to Superman’s creators and it seems like the exact kind of nondescript name that lends itself to 10 different interpretations and would be inoffensive,  so I’m banking on that. The Toronto Raptors of the 2020’s

21 minutes ago, bradsbeard said:

Cleveland Heroes would be a pretty nifty marketing choice. It ties the team identity to the year of the name change (Covid heroes) and is flexible enough to encompass things like the local medical community (Cleveland Clinic), the R&R HOF (think guitar heroes), military tributes, and also the broader super hero craze. 

This is a great idea!  I'm sure they won't do it, but you have a good ear and eye for marketing. 

If it's Spiders, they should have this guy hold a baseball bat

8807278_0.jpg

... and put this guy in the bleachers...

DuZL8nwUYAAlou-?format=jpg&name=small