Cleveland Indians become the Cleveland Guardians

Bill0813

Chords could be interesting; obvious nod to the RRHOF.  Cobras (Cuyahoga river is snake-like).  Conductors (for both the Underground Railroad and Cleveland transit). 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cleveland Counts, where their logo would be Dracula, mascot would be The Count from Sesame Street, and they’d make a big deal of announcing the balls/strikes count every pitch. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

11 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I don't think Spiders is the right move; that team had a historically miserable season, and that's not the kind of mojo an already Series-less franchise needs to rebrand itself with.

I actually think Blues would be perfect; not only would it nicely play off of Cincinnati, but there's historical leverage there both in the past of the city's MLB teams and within the current franchise (they started as the Bluebirds, after all) and Cleveland's had a long history with rhythm and blues. Plus, the music-focused identity is a totally unique niche within the MLB.

Cleveland has two World Series titles (1920, 1948). As far as Blues, I hadn't considered that but it makes sense. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, Walk-Off said:
  1. For a long time, I thought that an MLB team based in Nashville should be nicknamed the Elites as a tribute to Negro League baseball's Nashville Elite Giants of the 1920s and 1930s.  While the Music City Baseball group is proposing an MLB club whose name pays homage to Nashville's presence in baseball's Negro leagues, that organization intends to use a name used by at least two later Negro League teams, the Nashville Stars.  That leaves Elites wide open for Cleveland's MLB team to embrace, and I think that the connotation of success inherent in a nickname of Elites would be a fitting way for the Cleveland MLB club to break free from the legacy of decades of mediocrity.

The only drawback is that "elite" is a term that's woefully overused in today's sports parlance. It's just a half-step above naming a team the "GOATs."

It also sounds like an AAU basketball team.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Spiders is probably the best choice but I dread all the ways this could end up looking like a cartoonish minor league rebrand from Brandiose with an angry spider. If they can be sure to keep it looking like a classic baseball team with limited use of the actual spider it could work but it just feels like a spider is way too easy to get silly with. They have to kinda be more like the Tigers who don't have a goofy Tiger face on their uniforms. If you look at the Tigers uniforms and most of their logos, you barely notice that they're named after an animal.

Rocks or Rockers is a no-go because of the Rockies but tbh I think going for the Rock and Roll theme is a little too cheap, too easy, it's almost a stereotypical version of Cleveland. Do people in Cleveland go around dressed like rock and roll musicians? Seems like the R&R HOF is there but does that really define the entire city?

With that said, Blues would be a better way to hint at music without being too obvious about it. I just really don't want a silly guitar motif and music notes motif.

And for now I don't have much faith in any other new/original/outside-the-box name so I don't know if they should try something different or stick to the names already mentioned.

The problem that Cleveland and Washington both have is that these names were around so long that any new name is going to feel like New Orleans Pelicans* or something. That these names were outdated doesn’t make this any less jarring than if the Detroit Tigers had to pick a new name.  They flat out cannot have a timeless name right out of the gate. (I suppose Spiders has some of that feel to history-minded fans, which probably explains its popularity) Like the Minnesota NHL team should have, these teams should think about how the name will seem in 20 years, not next year.

*I liked the Pelicans name from day 1 but it was still essentially an expansion name and didn’t feel right like, say, Mavericks or Pacers. By now, though, it has kinda blended in, unlike Wild. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

21 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Rocks or Rockers is a no-go because of the Rockies but tbh I think going for the Rock and Roll theme is a little too cheap, too easy, it's almost a stereotypical version of Cleveland. Do people in Cleveland go around dressed like rock and roll musicians? Seems like the R&R HOF is there but does that really define the entire city?

Their claim to even getting that museum is tenuous at best, so the fact that it sticks around as some city cultural symbol really says more about Cleveland than anything else. Since MLB seems dead set on following the rock & roll industry into irrelevant nostalgia for boomers, though, maybe they're natural partners.

Spiders would be terrible. How much merch can you sell to a phobia-laden populace? Spiders are even more unpopular than racist exploitation in this country, leave that one aside.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Cleveland [BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP]

Their mascot could be any Australian, then.

twitter

7 hours ago, CS85 said:

I understand the Naps suggestion (shortened from Napoleons, I guess?), but it’s way too close to a couple Japanese slurs for my taste, plus the Nationals are already known as the Nats anyway.  

What makes Naps an even worse choice is that while people who are Generation X or older may be quick to think of up to two anti-Japanese epithets when seeing or hearing such a nickname, those who are Millennial or younger would seem to be more likely to associate that kind of name with "nappy(-headed)" -- an adjective known to be used to insult Black people and their hair.  I can still remember longtime radio personality Don Imus being fired from his morning-drive gig at New York City's WFAN for referring to players on the Rutgers women's basketball team as "nappy-headed," followed by the plural form of a slang noun whose connotation is both misogynistic and, when used by a white person, racist.

It's almost a shame modern trademarks and marketing would prevent there from being a Cleveland Baseball Browns.

Sure, becoming the Baseball Browns might run off some of those Ohio Steelers fans, but from what I've gathered from a few friends, those are some of the worst people on Earth anyway so screw 'em.

It absolutely boggles my mind that in my lifetime, there was a St. Louis baseball Cardinals and a St. Louis football Cardinals at the same time. It seems like such a quaint 1940s thing.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

6 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

The only drawback is that "elite" is a term that's woefully overused in today's sports parlance. It's just a half-step above naming a team the "GOATs."

It also sounds like an AAU basketball team.

It's also pronounced "E-Light" when used by some Negro League teams . It was a way of getting fans out to watch Negro League baseball by hyping up the team ahead of time when you couldn't post pictures of the players. AAU basketball just co-opted that idea when they started building traveling teams later on and ruined it for everyone else. 

14 minutes ago, MinnyHockey said:

The Cleveland "Show"

Peter Griffin can race a Giant Chicken and Slider in the 7th inning. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Yea pretty true that almost any name is gonna just feel weird at first. I can just imagine if we were around when most other "classic" team names were first unveiled there would definitely be more doubt and negative reactions to each. I mean if you think about it, when you first hear already existing team names as a kid you don't question them, they're just the way they are and you never once go "hmm, I wish they had gone with something else." It's only when new or rebranded names are first announced that we dissect them for more than they are.

Archived