Cleveland Indians become the Cleveland Guardians

Bill0813

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I'm digging Spiders. Bluebirds would be cool, but kind of too close to Blue Jays. 

I mean, we have the Red Sox and White Sox. 😛 Similar names aren't foreign to MLB, and they can use "Blues" instead to give themselves the music-theme niche without doing the cheesy rock and roll gimmick.

3 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, we have the Red Sox and White Sox. 😛 Similar names aren't foreign to MLB, and they can use "Blues" instead to give themselves the music-theme niche without doing the cheesy rock and roll gimmick.

There could be a special tourney of the sox. The red, white and blue battle. 

58 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

It's almost a shame modern trademarks and marketing would prevent there from being a Cleveland Baseball Browns.

I wish the Washington Nationals had to change their name, and one of the candidates was "Washington Baseball Football Team"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Looking forward to Royals/Blues games. 

Spiders is good. Nobody will be afraid of baseball players with the name "Spiders", just like nobody is really scared of baseball players with rattle snakes on their hats. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

So they likely aren't doing the rebrand until 2022 to not rush it. I wonder if they can get away with not being the generic named "Cleveland Baseball Team" in 2021 and just never use the term Indians either verbally or on their uniforms. Just put Cleveland on the home and red jerseys and always refer to them as Cleveland and just do that for one season. I get why it's a thing but I just strongly dislike the placeholder name being used so prominently.

For a franchise as old as Cleveland just please don't do something cheesy - it has to at least sound like a team name that could have existed in the early 1900's. The Cleveland Spiders make sense, since that was an actual team and is a nod to Cleveland baseball history. I think Cleveland Commodores can work too, so long as they don't get too crazy with the logos. It sounds good, makes sense because of Commodore Perry, and also could be a small nod to Bob Feller, Cleveland baseball Hall of Famer that served in the Navy. You could make a secondary logo similar to what is on the shirt below, just get rid of the 19. 

T Shirt – Act of Valor Award

T1oYViW.png

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2019/03/28/heres-a-fun-proposed-rebrand-of-the-cleveland-indians-meet-the-cleveland-buzzards

If you want to go all in on the rock scene and can't use Rockers, here's an even better idea. WMMS in Cleveland is the biggest rock station in Cleveland. Their logo for years was the buzzard, designed by David Helton in the 1970's. You'd need to come up with a new buzzard most likely, but it's something that's easier to anthropomorphize than a spider. I think that's something else that may come into the discussion as well when looking at secondary logos as well as the physical mascot, though I think Slider should be able to stay on no matter what direction they go. 

See the Evolution of the "WMMS Buzzard" - Radio World

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I mean, if you want to drive away arachnophobe fans, sure. 😛 That, and the "Spiders" name has been completely and intrinsically tied to that historically-miserable season; nobody talks about the Spiders in many other contexts besides "worst MLB team of all time".

Not exactly the optics you want coming into a rebrand from a franchise that also hasn't had the most vibrant history, considering their all-time winning percentage isn't that far above .500.

100% for Cleveland Spiders. Sounds like a classic and timeless throwback name harkening back to the dead-ball era days of baseball. And I don't think they would have to change the team colors at all. Not that they would have to with a lot of other names I guess, either. 

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

Blues and Forest Citys are the only names worth considering because they precede Indians in the team's 100+year history. Spiders is atrocious. It's a bug. No one wants to be a bug.

The Charlotte Hornets identity is beloved. The Blue Jackets & Lightning both have anthropomorphic insects as their mascots. NCAA has a few bug nicknames.

Spiders has historical precedence, plus you can put lots of marketing spin connecting it to baseball players. Outfielders are frequently climbing walls & catching balls in the webbing of their gloves.

Another vote here for Cleveland Spiders. I see no issues with the performance of the old-timey Spiders (I don’t think anyone is around to remember them). And they would have options to use any color scheme. 

I would also favor anything that sounds like a traditional team..

Cleveland Sparrows

Cleveland Robins

Curious what folks would think of a brown-orange color scheme. Would overlap with the football team be tolerated by owners? Brown-orange would be unique to MLB.

Archived