Wildcomet

The Arena Ultimate Associaion (AUA) - Updated w/Houston + Whole League Logos Sheet

Thanks! I have the next Southern team ready to go. Welcome the New Orleans Quarters!

I recycled this concept from a series I did a few years ago on this site just in case it sounds familiar. The names is of course inspired by New Orleans' famous French Quarter. I just really like it. I refined the logo concepts from what I did then, but kept a core idea of the fleur-de-lis with one corner colored differently from the rest of it. I framed it within a wrought-iron frame based on wrought-iron designs found around New Orleans. 

AUA-Team-New-Orleans-Quarters.jpg 

The uniforms ended up with a more symmetrical design. I experimented with an asymmetrical look feeling it should fit with the name, logo and general league motif, but just didn't get anything that felt right compared to this. The sleeve stripes are meant to represent mardigras beads bordered by the green and purple stripes. I also put beads in three rings around the collars. Large logos fill up both sleeves, and the side panels are based on the wrought-iron frame from the logo compressed together (I can't remember the name of the poster, but I saw someone a while back post concepts for the New Orleans Pelicans that inspired that idea).

Uniforms-New-Orleans-Quarters.jpg\

Hope you all enjoy! I should have the final two teams- Austin and Houston- ready to share next week. From there I am not sure. C & C is always appreciated, thanks!

Good morning everyone! I hope the New Orleans Quarters look is enjoyed, but I'll move forward with the next team on my list. It's time to get weird as we head to Texas to meet the Austin Oddities!

I based this identity off the town's unofficial slogan of Keep Austin Weird, and a street mural I found a picture of in Austin. The colors were pulled partially from that mural. The mural just had a weird quality that I felt would work here and decided to run with it. I considered naming them the Weird or the Weirdos, but just didn't like the feel of it as much as Oddities which basically means the same thing.

AUA-Team-Austin-Oddities.jpg 

The uniforms,  I decided to break the AUA tradition of 1 shorts design to work with both jerseys, and let Austin be the league weirdo by having a 2nd pair of shorts. I gave the uniforms asymmetric sleeves and side panels based off the shadowing of the logo (gray on the right side, dark green on the left). I put the large wordmark just a bit off-level on the chest, with a little frog logo sitting on it. The sleeves have the eyes from the logo as the main graphic, along with a logo on the shorts.

Uniforms-Austin-Oddities.jpg

Overall this was one of the more fun uniforms to design, as the identity begged for doing something that is not traditional, and the logo gave some fun elements to work with. I hope you all enjoyed! All that's left for the this run is Houston. I'm open to ideas where I should go from here with this series next (if anywhere).

We're back with the (at least for now) final team in the AUA, the Houston Orions!

This name ties in multiple ways to NASA's presence in Houston. Aside from the Orion star constellation, Orion is also the name for NASA's new manned spacecraft they are developing for future missions to the Moon and Mars. I'm going to be up front and say that the AAF Orlando Apollos were a major inspiration to this design (one of my favorite sports logo designs), but I did my best to make this my own. I don't want to come off as trying to hide the influence though. Anyways, I angled the bow in a way to make it fit the letter well, which is giving it something sort of resembling a recurve bow. The colors were sampled from a sheet I found about prominent colors in the Houston area. The light-orange look is used on their streets and sidewalks; the blues representing space and the Caribbean nearby. The three stars are representing Orion's Belt from the constellation.

AUA-Team-Houston-Orions.jpg

The uniforms make a lot of use of the Orion's Belt stars portion of the logo; by itself it serves as a simple but nice secondary logo. They can be found on in the sleeve stripes, on the shorts left thigh, and next to the wordmark on the chest. An oversized minimalist logo wraps around the right shorts leg. I incorporated a light gradient shifting to the dark blue on the jerseys; thinking about nebulas in space led to the use of it here. It shows up more on the away jersey than the home, but neither was meant to be overpowering.

Uniforms-Houston-Orions.jpg 

I'll be posting a league-wide sheet to get all the logos together on one graphic, but this is the last planned team for now. C&C is always enjoyed and If anyone wants to see more I'm open to ideas about new team locations, etc. I may also revisit some designs if I think of a good tweek or rebrand. Thanks for those who have commented and followed along!

Here is the complete logo set for the entire AUA. One of the things I'm glad with about this series is that the logos all feel like they can fit in the same league, although I did diverge some from the overt Ultimate references when it came to the Southern team designs. I'd like to think the sports profile is high enough by the time those teams arrived that it wouldn't be as necessary though, lol. Again, thanks for the feedback and for your time in viewing and following this series! I may be back with more, but nothing more is planned right now (again, open to ideas).

AUA-Info-Whole-League-Splash-Page.jpg