timberwolf

Cleveland Baseball Team - Spider Home and Road Uniforms (12/17)

Hello to all.

I've been away from the boards for another year or so but I'm (maybe) back!

We all know the Cleveland Indians are pulling a Washington and dropping their name to move away from any offensive brand material. I got bored between exams and decided to step into Illustrator and try some things out. I'll keep the explanations brief because I'm aware most of you want to see concepts - rather than read a short novel.

I've always loved the Indians "C" logo and I really want them to keep it for the future. It's simple and clean.

I also love their colours. I know red and blue is a bit overused, but I don't see a viable reason to change them at this point in time. (unless someone can point me in the direction of a better combo)

My idea...

I'm sure most of you are aware of the Cleveland Spiders. Established in 1887, they are one of Cleveland's first professional baseball teams. The team went through several name changes and rebrands, eventually becoming the Indians we all know and "love" today.

FYI, they became the Indians to honour one of their first Native American players - Louis Sockalexis. I'd like to believe this is the truth, but the claim is consistently disputed.

There are a number of really good Spider concepts so for the sake of being different, I went with an alternate option.

I don't actually have a set name in mind, but I'm hoping one of you guys can suggest one. The name I'll be using for now is the Citizens. I know it's not the best nickname but I've heard it thrown around and figured I'd try and do it justice.

My concept isn't crazy or groundbreaking but I'm hoping this is a start of a real project.

PRIMARY LOGO

spacer.png

spacer.png

WORDMARKS

spacer.png

spacer.png

ROUNDEL CONCEPT

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now here's where it gets a little weirder...

Cleveland is the home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I figured they could be the first MLB team (in 2020) to embrace a music-centric brand.

My rough idea was an electric guitar extending into a baseball bat. I'm not really sure where to go from here or how to use the mark, so I'd love some feedback!

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's all I have at the moment. I'm working on some potential uniforms so stay tuned for that in the next couple days!

I'd love any feedback and comments, little or big! Everything constructive helps!

T

I've heard a few different names mentioned - Spiders, Commodores (playing up the connection to Lake Erie), Blues (original AL team name). I've heard Rocks or Rockers mentioned, but I don't see how MLB would allow that with the Rockies already in place, to say nothing of trying to recycle a WNBA team name. I think the Cleveland Engines would be kind of cool, it retains a nod to the current name and honors the workers who've built engines for Ford for decades in the Cleveland-area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Engine

3 hours ago, tron1013 said:

I've heard a few different names mentioned - Spiders, Commodores (playing up the connection to Lake Erie), Blues (original AL team name). I've heard Rocks or Rockers mentioned, but I don't see how MLB would allow that with the Rockies already in place, to say nothing of trying to recycle a WNBA team name. I think the Cleveland Engines would be kind of cool, it retains a nod to the current name and honors the workers who've built engines for Ford for decades in the Cleveland-area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Engine

I actually quite like the Spiders name. I strayed away from using it here because I’ve seen a multitude of other Spider concepts, but I’ll give it a shot tonight.

I was mulling over Rockers too. Also decided against it because of the similarity to Rockies. Good point there.

Commodores and Blues are also interesting. 🤔

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Good logos and wordmarks. Not a fan of the "Citizens" as a potential name, though. 

I appreciate it!

I’m fully with you on the Citizens name. I don’t love it - just tried it out to see if it would look better in a logo.

I’m going to retool and come up with a new name and uniform set tonight!

There's some good ideas here for sure. I like the Spiders and Blues most for names personally; Citizens definitely would have a classic feel but there's not a lot to work with there for a logo. The guitar logo is looking cool. A similar/alternate spin on the idea could possibly be shaping the main section of the guitar like a baseball glove. The guitar could work well with the Blues of course; maybe pair it with a C with a negative space inside of it shaped like a music note. Another option playing off the bat coming off the guitar; another logo in the set could be a full body player swinging the guitar like a bat? Just some quick thoughts, hope they help.

13 minutes ago, in_a_rush said:

There's some good ideas here for sure. I like the Spiders and Blues most for names personally; Citizens definitely would have a classic feel but there's not a lot to work with there for a logo. The guitar logo is looking cool. A similar/alternate spin on the idea could possibly be shaping the main section of the guitar like a baseball glove. The guitar could work well with the Blues of course; maybe pair it with a C with a negative space inside of it shaped like a music note. Another option playing off the bat coming off the guitar; another logo in the set could be a full body player swinging the guitar like a bat? Just some quick thoughts, hope they help.

Spiders and Blues seem to be popular choices.

I’m going to try out a baseball glove/guitar because that sounds interesting. Also the C as a music note is a good idea.

Appreciate the feedback!

Good evening/morning/afternoon!

I was able to get my second draft of the concept done!

I decided to try my hand at a Spider concept. There are a number of really good ones out there, including this one, and I wanted to differentiate as much as I could!

I took a random spider outline and tossed it into Illustrator. The outline is cool on its own but not unique enough for people to know it when they see it. To prove my point, it's too similar to a Spiderman design. It needed something more.

Here are four versions of a spider logo with a couple different variants.

spacer.png

Also, a wordmark update and a roundel spider version (though I don't think it fits the circle theme.)

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm thinking of ideas for the Blues and Commodores (maybe Engines too) on the side. I want to flesh out this Spider idea and see where it goes first.

Let me know what you guys think! I'll be around my computer all night to make quick changes so don't hesitate to suggest something you want me to try.

22 hours ago, timberwolf said:

Hello to all.

I've been away from the boards for another year or so but I'm (maybe) back!

We all know the Cleveland Indians are pulling a Washington and dropping their name to move away from any offensive brand material. I got bored between exams and decided to step into Illustrator and try some things out. I'll keep the explanations brief because I'm aware most of you want to see concepts - rather than read a short novel.

I've always loved the Indians "C" logo and I really want them to keep it for the future. It's simple and clean.

I also love their colours. I know red and blue is a bit overused, but I don't see a viable reason to change them at this point in time. (unless someone can point me in the direction of a better combo)

My idea...

I'm sure most of you are aware of the Cleveland Spiders. Established in 1887, they are one of Cleveland's first professional baseball teams. The team went through several name changes and rebrands, eventually becoming the Indians we all know and "love" today.

FYI, they became the Indians to honour one of their first Native American players - Louis Sockalexis. I'd like to believe this is the truth, but the claim is consistently disputed.

There are a number of really good Spider concepts so for the sake of being different, I went with an alternate option.

I don't actually have a set name in mind, but I'm hoping one of you guys can suggest one. The name I'll be using for now is the Citizens. I know it's not the best nickname but I've heard it thrown around and figured I'd try and do it justice.

My concept isn't crazy or groundbreaking but I'm hoping this is a start of a real project.

PRIMARY LOGO

spacer.png

spacer.png

WORDMARKS

spacer.png

spacer.png

ROUNDEL CONCEPT

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now here's where it gets a little weirder...

Cleveland is the home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I figured they could be the first MLB team (in 2020) to embrace a music-centric brand.

My rough idea was an electric guitar extending into a baseball bat. I'm not really sure where to go from here or how to use the mark, so I'd love some feedback!

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's all I have at the moment. I'm working on some potential uniforms so stay tuned for that in the next couple days!

I'd love any feedback and comments, little or big! Everything constructive helps!

T

Is there a way to work in the knob of the bat into this some how? The bat is too subtle (if that’s a thing). Maybe reshape the rectangle below the 3 lines into a knob or make it into negative space in the shape below that. Just an idea.

Maybe a stretch but could you turn the three lines/guitar strings into a taped part of a bat somehow? Again, just an idea.

I like the idea of a guitar logo without a blatant music themed name, btw.

24 minutes ago, dwboiler said:

Is there a way to work in the knob of the bat into this some how? The bat is too subtle (if that’s a thing). Maybe reshape the rectangle below the 3 lines into a knob or make it into negative space in the shape below that. Just an idea.

Maybe a stretch but could you turn the three lines/guitar strings into a taped ha for of a bat somehow? Again, just an idea.

I like the idea of a guitar logo without a blatant music themed name, btw.

Good idea. Something like this?

spacer.png

Was reading thru this thread waiting for somebody to recommend that because it seemed so obvious right off the bat (don't laugh at that). I think the only way to improve on this is to take the original guitar's bat shape and completely replace the rectangle with the knob of the bat. In that you might not even need the tape on the bat. Excited to see what you come up with.

Definitely like the updated guitar better. It’s a better mesh of both images but doesn’t feel forced at all. Looks great!

1 hour ago, dwboiler said:

Definitely like the updated guitar better. It’s a better mesh of both images but doesn’t feel forced at all. Looks great!

I appreciate it!

1 hour ago, MDTrey4 said:

Was reading thru this thread waiting for somebody to recommend that because it seemed so obvious right off the bat (don't laugh at that). I think the only way to improve on this is to take the original guitar's bat shape and completely replace the rectangle with the knob of the bat. In that you might not even need the tape on the bat. Excited to see what you come up with.

I actually didn't even think of the bat and guitar combining like that, so thanks to you and @dwboiler for pointing it out!

Here's my second attempt and I think this one looks a lot cleaner than the first two.

spacer.png

I also added the "C" in there to see if it works at all. I actually don't mind either version.

Let me know how this one is looking!

spacer.png

Now that I see how clean it still is, it might not be too cluttered to add the tape back in. But that guitar looks amazing.

33 minutes ago, MDTrey4 said:

spacer.png

Now that I see how clean it still is, it might not be too cluttered to add the tape back in. But that guitar looks amazing.

Tape actually does look better. Looks more like a professional baseball bat.

spacer.png

I got some uniforms coming later this afternoon!

37 minutes ago, LordD said:

Everything so far has been incredible.

Much appreciated!

Here's a version of the Spider concept on a home uniform!

It's nothing too crazy, kept a really similar design to what they have now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

spacer.png

On another note...

I'm leaning towards the "Blues" moniker for the guitar concept. Thoughts?

Here are some home and road options if the team opts for a "Spider" look.

spacer.png

spacer.png

ADDITIONALLY...

I have a completely new look! Coming tonight! Decided to take a stab at the Cleveland Blues...

Stay tuned :)

For now, let me know any feedback you have! Good or bad, doesn't matter to me!

On 12/16/2020 at 12:19 AM, timberwolf said:

I appreciate it!

I actually didn't even think of the bat and guitar combining like that, so thanks to you and @dwboiler for pointing it out!

Here's my second attempt and I think this one looks a lot cleaner than the first two.

spacer.png

I also added the "C" in there to see if it works at all. I actually don't mind either version.

Let me know how this one is looking!

I really like this logo, but I can’t help but wonder if the bat shouldn’t be flipped around the other direction with the handle/knob at the top, which would more  accurately reflect the contour of a guitar neck? Maybe it would be too subtle to be recognized as a bat?