2021 Outdoor Lacrosse Thread

JayMac

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how much of the Cannons identity (besides the name) will be preserved in the PLL?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Most of their logos have "Boston" in them, so we'll probably see a new logo unveiled. Although one could argue they could just recycle that wordless logo (stick head with two crossed cannons) from the top right picture and just create a new wordmark to go around it. As far as colors go, they'd be the PLL's second team with Navy Blue as a primary color (Archers), and the third to have red (Whipsnakes and Chaos) although the Cannons only use red as an accent color. I believe none of the PLL's other teams have gray/silver in their color schemes. Doubt they'd change the cannons colors, but you never know.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I think the crossed-cannon logo would fit pretty well. I think it would be a shame if they mess with the transition to the new league very much on the brand side. Whats the point of using the Cannons name as a seamless transition if you change the logo, colors, and drop the city.

But also self plug because I'm playing with these ideas

1 hour ago, raysox said:

But also self plug because I'm playing with these ideas

Pretty good. Just one sidenote. PLL teams (so far at least) have 2 different helmets each. A dark and a light (usually white) helmet.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone want to turn this into a 2021 Lacrosse Season thread? 

PLL Week 1 in the books from Foxborough. Watched all 5 games, and there wasn't many surprises.  Archers, Whipsnakes, and Redwoods good. Atlas, Chrome, Waterdogs and Chaos bad. Cannons seem to be going well with Rabil outscoring his 2020 total in the bubble in a single game, and Lyle Thompson proving he deserved to be the #1 pick in the Entry Draft.

Oh, and the finger biting incident.

There's video of Gaudet missing half a digit covered in blood floating around twitter, so look that up if you're curious. But extremely vital to know the Chaos didn't play the Chrome, and Gaudet wasn't on the weekend's roster for their Sunday game!

• officeglenn changed the title to 2021 Outdoor Lacrosse Thread

Cannons may not be too bad this season, considering they are an expansion team. Having Lyle Thompson helps. 

I know it's only one week but it does look like Chaos, Waterdogs, and Atlas will be fighting it out for the basement.

7 hours ago, JayMac said:

Cannons may not be too bad this season, considering they are an expansion team. Having Lyle Thompson helps. 

I know it's only one week but it does look like Chaos, Waterdogs, and Atlas will be fighting it out for the basement.

Dunno what's worse, the Waterdogs having the No2 overall pick crosschecked in the head & taken to the hospital in his debut, or the Atlas No1 overall pick being stuck in Canada. Hope they're scouting already.

I did some looking at schedules. Each team plays 9 games - 7 against every team and two teams twice. They split the league in top half and bottom half to determine the second matchup. Whips and Chaos play Redwoods and Archers twice. Chrome and Cannons play Atlas and Waterdogs twice. I bring this up because the Cannons getting a slightly easier schedule may end up being beneficial if they play like the whole season like they did this weekend.

Also noticed that the four teams that play in the "top half" of the split end the season on a double header weekend playing against each other. That's going to be exciting.

Have they announced what the playoff format will be this season? I noticed they have 3 quarterfinal games scheduled for late August in Utah.  Not sure how that works with an 8 team league.

My only guess would be the 1st place team gets a bye to semifinals and the 8th place team is eliminated from playoff contention.  That would have the quarterfinal games being 2v7, 3v6 and 4v5. 1 seed plays lowest remaining seed in semis... Now that I think about it, this makes sense. Just haven't seen anything official from the league regarding it.

9 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Have they announced what the playoff format will be this season? I noticed they have 3 quarterfinal games scheduled for late August in Utah.  Not sure how that works with an 8 team league.

My only guess would be the 1st place team gets a bye to semifinals and the 8th place team is eliminated from playoff contention.  That would have the quarterfinal games being 2v7, 3v6 and 4v5. 1 seed plays lowest remaining seed in semis... Now that I think about it, this makes sense. Just haven't seen anything official from the league regarding it.

That would make the most sense. Unless they let every team in. Didn't they do that with all 6 in the inaugural season? That season feels like 10 years ago.

Week 2 in the books! Waterdogs win both of their games, Atlas upset the undefeated Redwoods, Archers remain in good form, Whipsnakes beat the Cannons in OT in the best game of the weekend, and extend their winning streak to 10 games.

Chris Hogan had his debut saturday for Cannons. Had a couple really good defensive stands on the Whipsnakes' great offense, but had a couple errors when he actually had to use his stick. Still a great athlete, just might be a little rusty with the stick.

Highlight of the weekend? The Whipsnakes coach posting the artwork for the new teal alternate uniforms built on my lacrosse template!

Paul Rabil breifly mentions the PLL changing to a city based model at some point down the line. Had to figure it was in the works. IMO they need to keep the touring model for a while before going that route. Still have a ways to go to grow popularity outside the northeast and Colorado.

I still think (and I know I've mentioned this in other threads) that they should go with a hybrid model.  Assign teams to cities and have them play several true home/road games and several games as part of touring events.

Ex. -- 10 game schedule.  4 home games, 4 road games, 2 tour/neutral site games (or maybe 3-3-4).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

6 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I still think (and I know I've mentioned this in other threads) that they should go with a hybrid model.  Assign teams to cities and have them play several true home/road games and several games as part of touring events.

Ex. -- 10 game schedule.  4 home games, 4 road games, 2 tour/neutral site games (or maybe 3-3-4).

That could work. One thing I hope the PLL avoids whenever they go the city route is having a northeast heavy league. Besides Denver, it seems like most of the old MLL teams outside of the NE often relocated or folded. Before COVID struck and cancelled the original 2020 PLL plans, there was a lot of exciting from fans on social media over some of the cities that were supposed to be featured on the 2020 tour. Mainly Portland, Dallas, Raleigh. SLC and Minneapolis.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 6:39 PM, tigers said:

I still don't know who to support?

Argh it's a major life decision.

Put the names of all 8 PLL teams on pieces of paper and put them in a hat. Close your eyes and pick one out of the hat.

I put my PLL loyalty with the Whipsnakes because their original roster was made primarily of University of Maryland alums. I'm from Maryland and generally support all UMD sports teams, so that was a no brainer for me. So far that has worked out well.

Archived