2020-2021 NBA Season Thread

DG_ThenNowForever

43 minutes ago, dont care said:

But by the time Lebron got there Big Z was a couple foot surgeries in and not all star caliber without Lebron feeding him the ball

Maybe, but putting him in comparison after TT and JaVale does not sit right. He was an All-Star the season just before LeBron was drafted, and then again the year after that.

1 minute ago, truepg said:

Maybe, but putting him in comparison after TT and JaVale, does not sit right.

I put the even because the trope of a mediocre big applies to him less, not that I view him as being less of a player than TT and Javale haha

Though frankly the gap isn't that big even if he was an allstar back in the day, it isn't like I am grouping those two with prime Hakeem

There was also a time that the east had so few reliable centers, that if you were 7' and had a pulse, you were going to be an all-star. Remember the heady days of Todd MacCulloch, Theo Ratliff, Nazr Mohammed? Or late-stage Hakeem and Mutombo? Those guys were seen as legitimate difference makers in the early 2000s east, because the west had Shaq, Robinson, and others.

That's kind of how Big Z ended up an all-star. Like, he was good, but in positionless all-star balloting today, he probably wouldn't make the cut.

21 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:
19-5 run to finish the game! Unfortunately no one got to see it because the game tipped off at 10 PM on a Tuesday, and apparently finished well past midnight. Seriously, NBA?

Isn't that normal for west-coast games?

8 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Seems like it is for this season, but I don't remember games starting this late before. IIRC it's usually 8 to 8:30.

In a normal season, Sixers west-coast games start at 10-10:30 unless it's a national game.  I'd expect local start times to be 7 or 7:30 for most west-coast games, just like they are for eastern games.  I highly doubt any team starts games at 5PM local on the reg.

With the Timberwolves being, well, the Timberwolves, I am not paying hard-core attention to detail in the NBA. Is Blake Griffin just another player now, or is he actually still pretty good? It feels like the nets might be stacking themselves better than the Heat and GSW combined.

Basically yes, he’s pretty washed. So is Aldridge to a lesser extent. Splashier signings on paper than in the current reality, and doesn’t really help Brooklyn’s one flaw, a defense that’s both immobile and disinterested.

On 3/31/2021 at 8:28 AM, BBTV said:

In a normal season, Sixers west-coast games start at 10-10:30 unless it's a national game.  I'd expect local start times to be 7 or 7:30 for most west-coast games, just like they are for eastern games.  I highly doubt any team starts games at 5PM local on the reg.

Monday Night Football moved from 9 to 8 one year and the biggest complaint was that games on the west coast started at 5 PM, smack in the middle of rush hour. The result was fans arriving halfway through the first quarter for San Francisco or Los Angeles games. They moved back to 9 the next year. 

12 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

What’s with all the blowouts lately? Toronto pounded Golden State by 50 last night, then Utah, Philly, and New York are handing 30-pieces to other teams today.

I think that for some teams, if they don't have it going early, and they're playing a compressed schedule, they just say eff it and run out the clock.

There are a lot of post ASG games so if you're down 15 early, maybe you just call that game a loss and get out healthy.

11 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think that for some teams, if they don't have it going early, and they're playing a compressed schedule, they just say eff it and run out the clock.

There are a lot of post ASG games so if you're down 15 early, maybe you just call that game a loss and get out healthy.

So instead of trying to make basketball interesting by attempting a comeback, the   same league that fined teams in the past for load management is letting teams tank away games?

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Tatum breaks 50, but still Boston had to go to OT to beat... Minnesota. 

I'm honestly getting really pissed at Ainge now. 

His stingy ass wasted that Kings ransom he had from the Nets(who are now one of the top teams in the East), and now he is wasting a great core. 

He should have gone after a guy like Harden or Westbrook. Like The Raptors, they clearly need that 1 superstar player to get them over. 

Alex Rodriguez and billionaire Marc Lore are finalizing a deal to buy the Timberwolves. Would take over in 2023.

My first thought was A-Rod started his career in Seattle. 🤔 The article on ESPN even mentions that, although Taylor wanted any new owners to keep the team in Minnesota, A-Rod’s ties to Seattle and their push to get a new team, may be too much to ignore.