DG_ThenNowForever

2020-2021 NBA Season Thread

A-Rod last played in Seattle about 20 years ago and I don't think he's spent much time here since.

There are other sadsack franchises I'd rather see located to Seattle than the Wolves. Feels like even though that team is snakebitten, people still at least show up.

I thought I read that he only sold the team with the agreement A-Rod wouldn't move them?

Regardless, I don't think he will unless the team (financially) does worse. 

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

A-Rod last played in Seattle about 20 years ago and I don't think he's spent much time here since.

That being said, he has ZERO connection to Minnesota. And it would be in total A-Rod "look at me" style to make some sort of grand return by delivering Seattle back their Sonics. He's a self-absorbed snake. I wouldn't put it past him at all.

Vegas or Seattle.  There’s a 1% chance of any other scenario.

If it’s Seattle, the Minnesota franchise will cease to exist and never be caught as the losingest big league franchise in North America.

12 hours ago, Cujo said:

That being said, he has ZERO connection to Minnesota. And it would be in total A-Rod "look at me" style to make some sort of grand return by delivering Seattle back their Sonics. He's a self-absorbed snake. I wouldn't put it past him at all.

So in your world, who is allowed to move a team to Seattle without it being a "look at me" thing?  Just curious.

18 minutes ago, BBTV said:

So in your world, who is allowed to move a team to Seattle without it being a "look at me" thing?  Just curious.

My point being, he (like most others) could become a team owner and thrive without relocating the team

20 minutes ago, Cujo said:

My point being, he (like most others) could become a team owner and thrive without relocating the team

i don’t know if it’s possible to thrive with a team in Minnesota in today’s NBA, and I also don’t see why anyone (outside of MN fans) should care in a negative way if he decides to move that team to Seattle.  The league has suffered more from losing Seattle that it would from losing Minnesota. Part of the benefit of paying a billion dollars for a team is to run it how you see fit (within league rules) and it’s kinda silly for the internet to have its own rules about who can move a team and when it’s ok and when it’s not. 

the reality is, I’m assuming he’s probably less than a 5% owner and has no real influence. 

While I would welcome the return of the Sonics with open arms, losing the Timberwolves rubs me the wrong way. Can't explain why, they're a generally terrible franchise that have never seemed to work. I guess I'd just prefer that Seattle gets their team back through expansion so no one has to lose their team. There's a clip near the end of Sonicsgate where a fan mentions not wanting to regain his team while others have to lose theirs and I guess it stuck with me.

I actually don't think it'd be either Vegas or Seattle that get the TWolves if they move; those two are expansion franchises because they're markets that would pony up the money for it.

I could actually see them moving the TWolves to Vancouver. That's a market that's on the NBA radar, a market that pulled attendance well even for literal garbage teams and a market they can use to get that Chinese money without actually being direct about it.

Attendance wasn't the worst even at the height of the Grizzlies' suckitude, either, so it's not like Vancouver wasn't putting out support; and the city's only grown since the Grizz left for Memphis. And considering Silver's actively interested in having a team in Vancouver, I think that'd be where the T-Wolves land, if anything.

15 hours ago, McCall said:

Alex Rodriguez and billionaire Marc Lore are finalizing a deal to buy the Timberwolves. Would take over in 2023.

My first thought was A-Rod started his career in Seattle. 🤔 The article on ESPN even mentions that, although Taylor wanted any new owners to keep the team in Minnesota, A-Rod’s ties to Seattle and their push to get a new team, may be too much to ignore.

Does anyone remember his time in Seattle though? 

1 hour ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Unrelated(and maybe irrelevant), but did anyone notice how the Nets’ “B” logo looks like James Harden?

No, but only because it doesn't.

I mean, Jeter and Jay-Z and LeBron have all been single-digit percentage owners, remember. (Not to say that this makes a Wolves move more or less likely but I'm not reading too much into that specifically.)

Marc Lore's a New York/New Jersey guy through and through so no idea what his motivation might be from a geographic point of view.

I have no idea what relocation fee the Thunder had to pay to leave Seattle, but considering expansion fees would likely be $1.5-$2B, I can't imagine a relocation fee would be low enough to make it a worth while thing for an ownership group who already just financed a $1.5B purchase to pay.  Say the relo fee is $1B - is it worth it to pay $2.5B for a team in Seattle?  Maybe.  I don't know the numbers.  But that's also something that works against them moving the team.

Terrible.

Injuries are always part of the game, but it feels way moreso this year than in seasons past, which so many guys missing pretty significant time. It's one thing if AD and LeBron can presumably come back for the playoffs; completely different for Murray to essentially nuke his team's very real chances at the Finals in mid-April.