2020-2021 NBA Season Thread

DG_ThenNowForever

9 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

The play-in nonsense peaked early.  Most years, you're not getting LeBron/Steph. You're getting mediocrity/mediocrity.  The idea that the 10th seed can get in while the 7 seed doesn't is asinine.

I disagree with the notion of the play-in entirely, but would agree with the idea that, if it must exist, it should be restricted to the domain of the #8 seed only. The Lakers were 42-30, the Spurs 33-39, a nine game gulf. Many times, it's an even bigger gulf between #7 and #10. San Antonio had zero business playing for a playoff spot with a 42-30, 39-33, and 38-34 team. They clearly weren't good enough on the basis of the regular season.

I would go a step further and say the play-in should be eliminated in any season where the #9 seed has a losing record. There's few things I loathe more than a team with a losing record in the playoffs. It's anathema. Losing more than you win suggests you aren't good. The playoffs are a reward for being good. The two don't jive. Even if it means a scenario where the #8 seed also has a losing record and gets by on a tiebreaker...so be it. I didn't care for the Eastern games. Those weren't good teams, and the two teams who advanced are going to get SMOKED in the first round.

spacer.png

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

That’s just it. The Grizzlies and Warriors just played the best game of the play-in tournament, and outside of Steph, Ja, Draymond, and Dillon Brooks, the teams are bad. Teams on equal levels should lead to good basketball, which is all the NBA and us fans should want.

Just because those are the only guys you can name doesn't mean the teams are bad. For one, Jonas Valunciunas is far more important to the Grizz than Brooks, and Jaren Jackson Jr. is arguably better than him too. These were also two teams with winning records, it's not like this is the East.

5 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Just because those are the only guys you can name doesn't mean the teams are bad. For one, Jonas Valunciunas is far more important to the Grizz than Brooks, and Jaren Jackson Jr. is arguably better than him too. These were also two teams with winning records, it's not like this is the East.

You are right, the teams aren’t bad. I was trying to suggest something along the lines of mediocre.  When two teams are on relatively the same level, the outcome typically is an intense, down-to-the-wire basketball game, which most fans would agree is the best type of game.

ps. I did consider putting Jackson Jr. (does anyone call him “Triple-J”?) instead of Brooks, but since the way Dillon played in recent games—combined with me not heat much about Memphis since Ja got hurt early this year—led me to place him over Jaren.  Valunciunas slipped my mind. 

Some entertaining play-in games.  But they ultimately took Steph out of the playoffs.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

7 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

That’s just it. The Grizzlies and Warriors just played the best game of the play-in tournament, and outside of Steph, Ja, Draymond, and Dillon Brooks, the teams are bad. Teams on equal levels should lead to good basketball, which is all the NBA and us fans should want.

So 2 games were close which you can get from regular season games, the others  were blowouts and should have never been played.

8 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Actually, the play-in is a very good and smart thing.

Disagree. It devalues a long regular season, and the NBA just dropped one of its marquee players from the playoffs.

This isn't the outcome the league wanted.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Disagree. It devalues a long regular season, and the NBA just dropped one of its marquee players from the playoffs.

I thought it was dumb too, but then shamelessly, my team made the playoffs when they shouldn't have. Of course I can understand people's frustration that the Memphis Grizzlies of all teams are the greatest play-in team ever. The Grizzlies have twice as many play-in wins as any other team! Historic levels of dominance!

34 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I thought it was dumb too, but then shamelessly, my team made the playoffs when they shouldn't have. Of course I can understand people's frustration that the Memphis Grizzlies of all teams are the greatest play-in team ever. The Grizzlies have twice as many play-in wins than any other team! Historic levels of dominance!

Oh, I get it.

Good for Memphis! But still seems kind of :censored:ty that Golden State won the last regular season matchup -- that would have been a de facto play-in game in Normal Times! -- just to lose the rematch a week later.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

"Alright, fine, the Grizzlies beat the Warriors, whatever. We'll just do everything in our power to make sure the big market team they play against in the first round wins. Speaking of, who do they play in the first round?"
"Uh, they play the Jazz."

"...damnit."

ExJworW.png

Expected loss from the Lakers today. They were poor defensively and simply couldn’t buy a shot. A lot of their looks and misses were wide open shots too. Can’t miss those as much as they did. Drummond was absolutely lost defensively today. He shouldn’t see much playing time in this series going forward, at least not when Ayton is on the court. 

But if there’s a caveat in this: they weren’t blown out even though they should have been. 

Ain’t too worried. Lakers in 6. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

22 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Expected loss from the Lakers today. They were poor defensively and simply couldn’t buy a shot. A lot of their looks and misses were wide open shots too. Can’t miss those as much as they did. Drummond was absolutely lost defensively today. He shouldn’t see much playing time in this series going forward, at least not when Ayton is on the court. 

But if there’s a caveat in this: they weren’t blown out even though they should have been. 

Ain’t too worried. Lakers in 6. 

LeBron loves dropping game 1. And they looked like garbage and were in it until about 2 minutes to go.

Still feel good about their chances, like you. Good for Phoenix fans to see a playoff win at home; it's been a rough go since the Nash years.

All that hope and hype that this year might be the year the Lakers and Clippers finally meet in the playoffs, and neither team will even make it out of the first round.  Bad vibes.

The Nets are going to completely stomp whoever makes it out of the West.

I don't think Brooklyn can get past Philly or Milwaukee. But that's why they play the games!

2 hours ago, The Six said:

All that hope and hype that this year might be the year the Lakers and Clippers finally meet in the playoffs, and neither team will even make it out of the first round.  Bad vibes.

The Nets are going to completely stomp whoever makes it out of the West.

It’s been one game, let’s chill with saying neither team will make it to the next round. Atleast allow it to get to 0-2.

Can I just voice my displeasure that the NBA scheduled two playoff games at the same time? 

I want to see the insane battle Luka and Kawhi are having right now, but I’m obviously watching the Lakers game instead. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

41 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Can I just voice my displeasure that the NBA scheduled two playoff games at the same time? 

I want to see the insane battle Luka and Kawhi are having right now, but I’m obviously watching the Lakers game instead. 

Right there with you.

I want to flip channels like 90s wrestling to watch PG lead all players in negative +/-.

Archived