2020-2021 NBA Season Thread

DG_ThenNowForever

Hot damn! GM Stevens at work. Easier than I thought to unload Kemba. I’m sure Horford is probably washed but seems like a low-risk move for the Celtics that maybe he’s got some juice left for a system where he thrived.

I loved Kemba as a UConn guy and for recycling all those old Antoine jerseys, so sad that it didn’t really work out. Karmic, maybe, that Boston dumped IT but weirdly changed nothing in the long run at the PG position!

I liked the Kyrie team more than most and think him being injured in the 2018 ECF is a real sliding doors moment for that franchise.

However, one pick-hoarding franchises trades with another, neither to likely do anything with their bounties. 

Boston had a window in 2019 for a title and blew it. Are Tatum and Brown good enough to lead them to the Finals in the next five years? Maybe -- they're as solid a core that exists in the east. But eventually, if it hasn't happened it's not going to happen. Maybe GM Stevens will be less precious than GM Ainge. We'll see!

So are they gonna spend another trillion dollars to fill the overrated-undersized-scoring-guard role that IT, Kyrie, and Kemba have now vacated, or will the Celtics pull their heads out of their asses, start Smart at that spot, go get a backup guard and let that be that?

I really hope this isn't Damian Lillard's music.

2 minutes ago, who do you think said:

Now are they gonna spend another trillion dollars to fill the overrated-undersized-scoring-guard role that IT, Kyrie, and Kemba have all vacated, or just start Smart at that spot, sign a backup for him and let that be that?

I really hope this isn't Damian Lillard's music.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if Dame went to Boston. Lillard/Tatum/Brown can handle Durant/Irving/Harden & Giannis/Holiday/Middleton. 

23 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

You mean…Seattle?

I'd rather have the Pelicans roster at this point. But maybe the OKC roster potential and Seattle market draw has higher upside.

We've got a new arena opening this year. I bet relocation happens much quicker now.

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

And exactly none of those guys will be in OKC in a decade. Time to move that franchise to a market players want to play in.

As someone who lives in a small market, I hope things go well long-term in Oklahoma City, but if I could go back and change things, it would be the original Hornets franchise that became the Oklahoma Whatevers while the Sonics stayed put in Seattle.

How ironic it would be if the Pelicans end up moving to Seattle, thus leaving Oklahoma with what should be Seattle’s team and Seattle with what should’ve been Oklahoma’s team in the first place?

Edited by DustDevil61
?

There aren't enough "destination cities" to go around anyway. As much as it was scummy the way Oklahoma City got their NBA team, their fans weren't complicit in that and it would be unfair to them to say they deserve to lose their team because it's a place no superstar cares to play in. That's an entirely different problem. Off the top of my head...Minneapolis, Orlando, Memphis, Sacramento, Portland, and you can name others to certain degrees...not destination cities either. And where can the NBA expand that does fit that description without already having an NBA team? 

21 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Seattle wasn't a destination city either when they still had a team. 🤷‍♂️

True, but if they suddenly got a team, the large fanbase and the clout that comes with “the Return of The Sonics” should be enough to get some players to want to come.

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

Seattle wasn't a destination city either when they still had a team. 🤷‍♂️

I can't speak to that since I didn't live here when the Sonics were here, but Seattle of 2020 is a whole lot different than even that of 2008. We have a functioning mass transit system, for one. But beyond that, there's way more tech center opportunities that are rivaled really only by the Bay Area. Amazon and Microsoft open a lot of doors to opportunities beyond basketball, and that's important to a lot of players.

Seattle isn't LA or Miami, but most places aren't. It is, however, a place with a more moderate climate, amazing homes for multi-millionaires, and also has easy access to China.

42 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I can't speak to that since I didn't live here when the Sonics were here, but Seattle of 2020 is a whole lot different than even that of 2008. We have a functioning mass transit system, for one. But beyond that, there's way more tech center opportunities that are rivaled really only by the Bay Area. Amazon and Microsoft open a lot of doors to opportunities beyond basketball, and that's important to a lot of players.

Seattle isn't LA or Miami, but most places aren't. It is, however, a place with a more moderate climate, amazing homes for multi-millionaires, and also has easy access to China.

Not dissing Seattle at all - but unfortunately, for most NBA stars these days, anywhere that isn't LA, New York, the Bay Area or Miami might as well be OKC as far as they're concerned. For whatever reason, NBA players are way more picky about markets than other sports' athletes.

The old Sonics' free agency moves usually consisted of overpaying stiffs like Jim McIlvaine and Calvin Booth. Maybe a new Sonics team would do better. On the other hand, similar markets like Denver and Portland aren't viewed as destinations, so they've had to build through the draft.

Ben Simmons is feces in an overpriced jersey, and Glenn Rivers is feces in a (presumably) overpriced 1/4-zip shirt.  

If you're Ben Simmons, I know you have all the money in the world, but how do you look at yourself in the mirror and have any pride for what you've become?  How are you not inspired to practice shooting a basketball?  It's f-ing muscle memory.  He's complete trash.

I wanted Utah, but still really happy for the Clippers. Always liked Terrence Mann, so it’s crazy to see him pull a game like this off. 

Now either Paul George or Chris Paul will be the star of an NBA Finals team, so the WCF should be fun. 

Part of my likes the idea of the NBA finally getting their wish for an LA-NY finals as the monkey's paw finger curls.

Super happy for the Clippers and their fans. They deserve this. That was an unbelievable comeback. Kinda felt like the sort of game that finally breaks long held franchise curses. And they did it without their best player. Really impressive. 

I’m one of those Lakers fans who doesn’t actually hate the Clippers (they’re just fun to make fun of lmao) and I don’t really get the hate they receive from Lakers fans.

They’re kinda like a little brother; fun to tease, but you still pull for their success. 

I hope they beat the s*** out of the Suns.