2020-2021 NBA Season Thread

DG_ThenNowForever

Crazy to think about...we may be a couple days away from a moment I honestly once thought would never come.  Hell, not even a decade ago, I felt if the Bucks had moved, it would have been the right decision, but I'm glad they stayed.  I'm glad the mystery kid from Greece turned himself into one of the most insanely good players I've ever seen.  

Holy crap, the FutureTM is now the PresentTM.  

8 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

I'm gonna absolutely lose it if Brandon Jennings' stupid 8-year-old prediction comes true in these Finals.  This is ridiculous.

????

20 minutes ago, dont care said:

So yea weird thing for bucks fans to rally around.

Bucks haven't been relevant for 4 decades, I feel like at this point Bucks in 6 is a way to make fun of that.  We're just trying to have a good time, there's some passionate fans around here.

1 hour ago, packerfan21396 said:

Bucks haven't been relevant for 4 decades, I feel like at this point Bucks in 6 is a way to make fun of that.  We're just trying to have a good time, there's some passionate fans around here.

If I were y'all, I'd monetize that. Get some t-shirts printed, get ol' boy's face on there, and if the Bucks DO pull it out in 6, rake in the moolah outside the Bucks' arena. Just the emotional high alone will sell the stuff.

Now, as for the Bucks not being relevant for four decades...remember when Ray Allen, Sam Cassell and Glenn Robinson were there? (Unless you're too young to remember.) I'd say they were plenty relevant--or about as relevant as a team could be considering everyone (particularly the East) was fighting for second place behind the Bulls dynasty. (Also, it's strange to think about it now, but back then the East was stacked--you had New York, Indiana, Miami, Milwaukee, and Charlotte constantly in contention--and brawls--with each other.)  I certainly remember the Bucks of back then very fondly--& this is coming from someone who grew up on the Florida panhandle.  (They and the Pacers were my two favorite teams to watch back then because of Reggie Miller and Ray Allen.) 

Now, all that said...in large part because Milwaukee is one of my favorite cities, and in large part because of Giannis, I HOPE Milwaukee pulls this thing out at home.  The City deserves that after all the many years of waiting for one of their teams to bring them a championship.  This will also be a win for the midwest, and all the smaller-market teams out there--but most of all, a huge win for Giannis, as this will validate the man as one of the modern-day greatest to do it (and we all know how much winning that 'ship adds to a player's legacy). That the Bucks could do so after losing him during the last round, added to the fact that Giannis still isn't even 100% out there just makes this a compelling storyline all the way around (especially for Khris Middleton, who could've left Milwaukee a while ago but is stulk there). I'm pulling for them.

13 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm happy for the Bucks and their fans. It shows that teams can come out of the wilderness with the right set of circumstances (like the Raptors before them in 2019).

I'm sure that pun was intentional, right? 😄

38 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Now, as for the Bucks not being relevant for four decades...remember when Ray Allen, Sam Cassell and Glenn Robinson were there? (Unless you're too young to remember.) I'd say they were plenty relevant--or about as relevant as a team could be considering everyone (particularly the East) was fighting for second place behind the Bulls dynasty. (Also, it's strange to think about it now, but back then the East was stacked--you had New York, Indiana, Miami, Milwaukee, and Charlotte constantly in contention--and brawls--with each other.)  I certainly remember the Bucks of back then very fondly--& this is coming from someone who grew up on the Florida panhandle.  (They and the Pacers were my two favorite teams to watch back then because of Reggie Miller and Ray Allen.) 

Either your timeline is messed up or I'm reading it wrong, but the Bucks were completely out of the picture during the Bulls dynasty such that lots of people in southeastern Wisconsin just wound up being Bulls fans instead. They had that fluke run to the East final in 2001, but by then was when the East was anything but stacked. The Bucks were irrelevant for about 20 years and never had the statewide audience that the Packers and Brewers have had. I suppose they must by now; I'm sure they have tons of three-car-garage kids from Sun Prairie being like "Bucks in 6 y'all already know what it is"

I live two blocks down from the Bucks stadium. I'm new to Milwaukee but the energy is just infectious. How can you NOT love the Bucks when every person walking by is screaming "Bucks in six" on their way back from the game?

Been going to the "deer district" most weekends before the finals and it's just electric. I also got to go to one of the hawks bucks games and had an incredible time. Like Stephen A. Smith said, I don't see how the Bucks lose game 6.

(a bandwagon Bucks fan's take)

2 minutes ago, tjs11 said:

I live two blocks down from the Bucks stadium. I'm new to Milwaukee but the energy is just infectious. How can you NOT love the Bucks when every person walking by is screaming "Bucks in six" on their way back from the game?

Been going to the "deer district" most weekends before the finals and it's just electric. I also got to go to one of the hawks bucks games and had an incredible time. Like Stephen A. Smith said, I don't see how the Bucks lose game 6.

When Seattle was going on its Super Bowl run in 2013, everyone in the city was just so damn happy. I know the feeling. Enjoy it!

1 hour ago, tjs11 said:

My oldest son lives on Oakland Ave. I invited him out here to 5-O land to watch the game with his youngest brother and me. He justifiably said downtown will be insane, and he didn't plan to miss it.

Marquette hasn't been relevant for nearly ever. They just don't know it.

33 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

My oldest son lives on Oakland Ave. I invited him out here to 5-O land to watch the game with his youngest brother and me. He justifiably said downtown will be insane, and he didn't plan to miss it.

Marquette hasn't been relevant for nearly ever. They just don't know it.

I happened to be in downtown Toronto the night the Raptors won the 2019 title (I had an event to get to that night) I have to say, it was an incredible scene walking through the streets and seeing the euphoria that a championship brings in a city that doesn't happen to celebrate a title of that magnitude very often (sorry MLS). 

Interesting about the late 90s/ early 2000s where teams like the Bucks, Pacers, Kings, Blazers and Timberwolves at least had teams that were relevant even though they probably weren't good enough to beat the Lakers (well there was Tim Donaghy that may have gotten in the way)

maybe I made a bad call but I decided to NOT be in that mob outside the stadium the last two games. I  experienced the Deer District when it was early playoffs and it was a really fun, lively, energetic place. Then it got crazier with the next round. And the next round. And I decided to NOT be part of the giant 8,000 person mob during the finals. Idk, maybe I'll go for game six. #bucksinsix

edit: I said 8,000 but it's more like 25,000. I got to go a few times when it was like 3,000 and thats the ideal ball park for me.I'm pulling the "I live down the street and don't need to experience the EXTRA craziness." excuse.

Also it was super cool to see the city react. The fireworks and the cars honking and the drunk people stumbling home cheering. I love being part of it.

8 hours ago, tBBP said:

If I were y'all, I'd monetize that. Get some t-shirts printed, get ol' boy's face on there, and if the Bucks DO pull it out in 6, rake in the moolah outside the Bucks' arena. Just the emotional high alone will sell the stuff.

Bucks In 6 is only used by the organization as the name for their pre-game fashion socials for the culture.

As for the relevance, I'm unfortunately not old enough to remember the 2001 miracle run, but I loosely know the Bucks history and from late 80s to the 3 years ago, it's been first round exits except for 2001.  My youngest Bucks memory is the change to green-red from purple-green being a big deal, and I think I have some purple Bucks bobbles from games I went to, but I am aware that more people are older than me on these boards.

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

The switch back to green and red was a great move and they should have stuck with it permanently -- none of this green and black and painter's-tape blue stuff.

I don't hate this new look, but I loved the green and red color scheme and that identity and it's still superior to me when I see it now.