Reverse Retros inspired by Past Franchises (Red Wings 18/32)

StevenGrant94

I've decided to do a series of Reverse Retro concepts, but as a twist all the concepts will be inspired by past franchises.  To start off here's a Calgary Cowboys (WHA) inspired Flames concept.

Calgary Flames

spacer.png

The only changes from the Cowboys' actual jerseys are yellow replacing white, and the Flames logo replacing the cowboy hat logo used by the Cowboys.

I probably won't make concepts for every NHL team, but it should be more than half the teams for sure.

stevengrantdesign.blogspot.com - Twitter: @StevenGrant94 - Instagram: @stevengrant94

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minnesota Wild

spacer.png

Next up is a Wild concept based off of the Minnesota Fighting Saints.  I chose "wheat" as the base jersey colour since the Wild have never had a wheat jersey before, but went with a green helmet since a wheat helmet wouldn't look as good (in my opinion).

stevengrantdesign.blogspot.com - Twitter: @StevenGrant94 - Instagram: @stevengrant94

On 1/8/2021 at 3:21 PM, B-mer said:

Hard to make a bad Wild concept. I like it. 

Thanks!

St. Louis Blues

spacer.png

This was a fun one to do, the Blues in the style of the short-lived St. Louis Eagles!  The base colour becomes the bright blue from the Blues third jersey, while yellow and navy replaces the Eagles red and royal blue.  The arched "Blues" script comes from their 1984-87 logo.

Ottawa Senators

spacer.png

I've always liked the mismatching striping patterns on the Ottawa Nationals' jerseys, so I brought back that design for this Senators Reverse Retro concept.  My initial plan was to use gold as the base colour, but it looked terrible so I went with silver instead.

New York Islanders

spacer.png

This is my take on an Islanders Reverse Retro based off of the Brooklyn Americans' 1941-42 jersey.  Orange becomes the primary colour instead of white (I also swapped red for blue, and blue for white), while I used the Islanders alternate "NY" logo as the crest.  The socks are actually from the Americans' 1925-26 set.

On 1/15/2021 at 4:33 PM, StevenGrant94 said:

Thanks!

St. Louis Blues

spacer.png

This was a fun one to do, the Blues in the style of the short-lived St. Louis Eagles!  The base colour becomes the bright blue from the Blues third jersey, while yellow and navy replaces the Eagles red and royal blue.  The arched "Blues" script comes from their 1984-87 logo.

I think the gold elements need a navy outline. It's a little grating between the brighter blue and the bright yellow. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 1/22/2021 at 1:49 PM, StevenGrant94 said:

Ottawa Senators

spacer.png

I've always liked the mismatching striping patterns on the Ottawa Nationals' jerseys, so I brought back that design for this Senators Reverse Retro concept.  My initial plan was to use gold as the base colour, but it looked terrible so I went with silver instead.

What about trying it with a white base instead of silver? 

1 hour ago, colinturner95 said:

I think the gold elements need a navy outline. It's a little grating between the brighter blue and the bright yellow. 

Good idea!

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

What about trying it with a white base instead of silver? 

Here's how a white base looks...

spacer.png

Columbus Blue Jackets

spacer.png

The Cleveland Barons were the NHL's first team from Ohio, so I based this Blue Jackets Reverse Retro concept off of their jerseys.  For the primary colour I choose the "Steel Blue" from Columbus' third jersey (also using the cannon logo from that jersey), and I made sure to include the Barons' Ohio state outline behind the sleeve numbers.

Philadelphia Flyers
spacer.png

This was the obvious Flyers concept for this series, a Philadelphia Quakers jersey with orange and black reversed and the Flyers logo on the front.  The arms would probably look better with fewer stripes, but I wanted to keep it accurate to the original.

Montreal Canadiens

spacer.png

The Montreal Wanderers only played four games in the NHL, but that didn't stop me from using them as inspiration for this Canadiens Reverse Retro concept.  The jersey uses the Canadiens red and blue (instead of the Wanderers white and red), and the logo combines the Canadiens "CH" with the Wanderers shield.

Archived