Reverse Retros inspired by Past Franchises (Red Wings 18/32)

StevenGrant94

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pittsburgh Penguins

spacer.png

I based this Penguins Reverse Retro concept off of the Pittsburgh Pirates 1925-28 jerseys, but I could have chosen any of the three jerseys that NHL team wore.  I decided to use yellow pants mostly as an experiment, and also because I thought it might add to the vintage look.

On 2/27/2021 at 10:49 PM, SportsDemon said:

The Canadiens jersey is the definition of a reverse retro jersey! The pants seem out of place, and could use modernizing but I get that it's supposed to be like that. Nice job so far!

Thanks!  Here's how it looks with blue equipment...

spacer.png

stevengrantdesign.blogspot.com - Twitter: @StevenGrant94 - Instagram: @stevengrant94

Arizona Coyotes

spacer.png

The latest concept in this series is a Coyotes jersey based off the 1974-75 Phoenix Roadrunners.  I chose "Desert Sand" as the base colour, and went with the logos from the Coyotes Kachina set.  You'll notice the sock stripes don't match the jersey, they didn't on the Roadrunners original white jersey either.

stevengrantdesign.blogspot.com - Twitter: @StevenGrant94 - Instagram: @stevengrant94

San Jose Sharks

spacer.png

I've seen many Sharks concepts based off of the California Golden Seals, this here is my version.  As you can see, I chose white as the base colour (with teal and black stripes), and used the Sharks original logo as the front crest.  The striping pattern follows the Golden Seals 1974-76 jerseys as accurately as I could.

Buffalo Sabres

spacer.png

I'd love to see the Sabres try another yellow jersey, here is one based off of the old Buffalo Bisons of the AHL.  I went with white numbers to better match the Bisons' jerseys, but I'm now thinking blue numbers would have been the better option.

On 1/8/2021 at 1:49 PM, StevenGrant94 said:

Minnesota Wild

spacer.png

Next up is a Wild concept based off of the Minnesota Fighting Saints.  I chose "wheat" as the base jersey colour since the Wild have never had a wheat jersey before, but went with a green helmet since a wheat helmet wouldn't look as good (in my opinion).

Shut up and take my money. 

On 3/26/2021 at 5:32 PM, StevenGrant94 said:

Buffalo Sabres

spacer.png

I'd love to see the Sabres try another yellow jersey, here is one based off of the old Buffalo Bisons of the AHL.  I went with white numbers to better match the Bisons' jerseys, but I'm now thinking blue numbers would have been the better option.

Mmmm, idk. The white numbers, at least in this mockup don't look bad. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 3/5/2021 at 2:13 PM, StevenGrant94 said:

Pittsburgh Penguins

spacer.png

I based this Penguins Reverse Retro concept off of the Pittsburgh Pirates 1925-28 jerseys, but I could have chosen any of the three jerseys that NHL team wore.  I decided to use yellow pants mostly as an experiment, and also because I thought it might add to the vintage look.

Thanks!  Here's how it looks with blue equipment...

spacer.png

The Pens / Pirates RR!
The Flyers / Quakers RR!

Still think the NHL needs to play on that concept! Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia, State rivals, Division rivals and the fact that the two Cities share a unique Hockey history with the Pittsburgh Pirates Hockey Club moving to Philadelphia and becoming the Quakers

Absolutely LOVE the Sharks RR! they really need to look into using this concept

Vancouver Canucks

spacer.png

The Canucks could really use green jersey in their arsenal, so I did a Reverse Retro of the Vancouver Millionaires' jersey in green and navy.  It was either going to be this or a WHL Canucks inspired concept.

On 3/12/2021 at 1:57 PM, StevenGrant94 said:

Arizona Coyotes

spacer.png

The latest concept in this series is a Coyotes jersey based off the 1974-75 Phoenix Roadrunners.  I chose "Desert Sand" as the base colour, and went with the logos from the Coyotes Kachina set.  You'll notice the sock stripes don't match the jersey, they didn't on the Roadrunners original white jersey either.

Did you try something with the following years WHA Roadrunners style with the character inside the Arizona state outline?  or would that look too cluttered?

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

On 4/3/2021 at 8:17 AM, greyraven8 said:

Did you try something with the following years WHA Roadrunners style with the character inside the Arizona state outline?  or would that look too cluttered?

Good idea!  I don't think it looks too cluttered.

spacer.png

On 4/2/2021 at 11:52 PM, StevenGrant94 said:

Vancouver Canucks

spacer.png

The Canucks could really use green jersey in their arsenal, so I did a Reverse Retro of the Vancouver Millionaires' jersey in green and navy.  It was either going to be this or a WHL Canucks inspired concept.

Oooooooooooh. That’s nice. 

New Jersey Devils

spacer.png

This jersey concept for the New Jersey Devils is based off of the old jerseys worn by the Jersey Devils of the Eastern Hockey League.  I reversed the colours by swapping black and white, and I also recoloured the Devils logo.

New York Rangers

spacer.png

This concept was especially enjoyable to make, a Rangers Reverse Retro design in the style of the New York Americans' 1926-27 jersey (which happens to be the same year the Rangers debuted).  I tried to match the name and number fonts to those on the aforementioned Americans jersey, and I added a star to the tan pants as an experimental idea.

On 4/16/2021 at 9:57 PM, StevenGrant94 said:

New York Rangers

spacer.png

This concept was especially enjoyable to make, a Rangers Reverse Retro design in the style of the New York Americans' 1926-27 jersey (which happens to be the same year the Rangers debuted).  I tried to match the name and number fonts to those on the aforementioned Americans jersey, and I added a star to the tan pants as an experimental idea.

21 Things Only People Who Went To Summer Camp Will Understand | Tony stark,  Robert downey jr iron man, Tony

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 4/16/2021 at 11:57 PM, StevenGrant94 said:

New York Rangers

spacer.png

yo the Rangers need to do this for their next Winter Classic

ZUH86xc.png

On 4/17/2021 at 11:57 AM, StevenGrant94 said:

New York Rangers

spacer.png

Can I see the normal version of this jersey? I'll glad wear it.

On 4/22/2021 at 2:57 AM, StevenGrant94 said:

Is this what you meant?

spacer.png

Well, can't say it shouldn't be worn the next Winter Classic that's for sure. So yeah, thanks. I take this and the RR version of it.

Archived