NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

You put the Jets' modern NY on a helmet and even make it the primary logo, and it'll be more iconic and/or distinguishable in a hurry. 

Any NFL primary mark is pretty distinguishable considering the popularity of the league. 

I think the Jets are in an enviable position. The Jets name has such versatility and visual potential, especially when compared with the Giants, a term that's difficult to covey without resorting to cartoonish cliches. 

The Jets, though, could really have the best of both worlds here. There's no reason why they couldn't build a brand that evokes "jets" while also including a NY logo into its collection.  

I, and others, have suggested earlier in this thread that the '80s Jets logo — or some modernized variant of it — could be modified by placing the Jet silhouette atop an NY. I think that would work as a perfect secondary to a JETS primary.  

The Giants don't really have that option. All they have is the NY and the underlined GIANTS mark.  

• Like 11

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

Not a fan of the idea of the Jets joining the Giants by putting an "NY" monogram on the helmets.  Biggest city in the country and the best their two teams can do is a "NY"?  Pretty lame.  NFL helmet logos tend to represent the team name rather than the city, and the Jets, if they ditch the "JETS" logo should embrace that.  Unlike a giant, which is hard to depict in a logo, the Jets have an easy to depict, exciting, in-motion, aggressive team name and could maximize that rather than being just another NY team to rely on the NY monogram.  

I grew up on Long Island, and I will openly admit that one of the reasons I am a diehard Bills fan is that when I was a kid I thought the green helmet "JETS" and white on blue helmet"GIANTS" logos on the helmets were boring and lame, so I found the only other NY team and they had a cool charging Buffalo, which was so much cooler.   (Add to this Joe Ferguson's hail  mary vs the Pats in 1980 and then his playoff game v. San Diego when he played with a broken ankle and I was hooked on the Bills).  

Your Buffalo Bills would like to speak to you.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, WideRight said:

Not a fan of the idea of the Jets joining the Giants by putting an "NY" monogram on the helmets.  Biggest city in the country and the best their two teams can do is a "NY"?  Pretty lame.  NFL helmet logos tend to represent the team name rather than the city, and the Jets, if they ditch the "JETS" logo should embrace that.  Unlike a giant, which is hard to depict in a logo, the Jets have an easy to depict, exciting, in-motion, aggressive team name and could maximize that rather than being just another NY team to rely on the NY monogram.  

I grew up on Long Island, and I will openly admit that one of the reasons I am a diehard Bills fan is that when I was a kid I thought the green helmet "JETS" and white on blue helmet"GIANTS" logos on the helmets were boring and lame, so I found the only other NY team and they had a cool charging Buffalo, which was so much cooler.   (Add to this Joe Ferguson's hail  mary vs the Pats in 1980 and then his playoff game v. San Diego when he played with a broken ankle and I was hooked on the Bills).  

So, NFL helmet logos should represent the team name and not the city, and your argument in favor is that a team from Buffalo with a buffalo on its helmet is the gold standard? 😊

• Like 13

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

24 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

So, NFL helmet logos should represent the team name and not the city, and your argument in favor is that a team from Buffalo with a buffalo on its helmet is the gold standard? 😊

I definitely forget that the buffalo represents the city if I'm not thinking about it.

Teams with letters on their helmet:

• Green Bay
  • Chicago
  • NYG
  • San Francisco
  • Kansas City
  • NYJ (no city currently)
  • Las Vegas (no city)
  • Pittsburgh (no city)
  • Baltimore
  • Tennessee

Most of these are classic teams, so clearly the modern aesthetic is to emphasize the mascot. The only exceptions are franchises that moved to a new city in the modern era, and in both cases the letters are just a part of a larger logo representing the team name.

For the Jets, it's tough IMO, because having the team name on the helmet is the only constant, but it's boring and the fact that they are in New York matters more than the team name ever has. If they updated to a modernized streaking jet logo, it would've given purpose to the uniform updates.

• Like 2

I guess it's (like everything else around here) all in the eye of the beholder. On the one hand, if the Jets were able to come up with a distinctively styled NY monogram logo that actually looked good enough to go on both sides of the helmet without one side looking backwards, I could see it. Short of that, I do agree that there definite should be an NY logo somewhere in their logo set, even if not as a primary. As it is now, what Bosack n' em pulled off for the Alliance's Memphis Express (dang I wish that league would've worked out) is about the best "jet" iconography I think we're going to get as far as football helmets go, so just for that fact alone the Jets in a tough spot. Not impossible, just doggone tough.

Someone's gonna have to get reeeeeaaaalllly creative to best the Express' helmets...and man would those look slick in bright Kelly green and white...

• Like 7

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/27/return-of-two-helmets-remains-possible-for-2021/

According to the NFL, there’s still no update on the possible return of multiple helmets for 2021. Even though the issue wasn’t raised at the ownership meetings conducted this week, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said that this change, if it happens, requires no discussion or vote among ownership.

Our buddy who throws pennies as he passes by said the one helmet rule was gone and the NFL is just waiting to announce it as a surprise...which I still find highly doubtful despite this PFT news.

It seems to me that the NFL would make a big announcement to get the merchandise train rolling, and the sooner, the better. 

• Like 6

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Also, you have to wonder if, at this point, how quick can teams really throw anything together? Unless they already know, and have the designs ready.

To reinforce your point, such a late announcement would not fit within the standard uniform and equipment ordering lead times so even pre-existing throwback designs seeing the field this year does not seem likely.

• Like 1

The original color rush announcement didn’t come until the end of October, correct? I also find it odd that the leaked Browns and 49ers throwbacks, as well as the already announced Packers throwback, hasn’t been officially unveiled yet. You’d think at least one of them would have been already unveiled by now. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if this weren’t a complete surprise.

I just want to say that the idea of a giant football player in New York City makes for a great logo.

568a1e324218e18ddc62aa1e80187dc1.jpg

This wouldn't be a good primary logo today as is, but it could definitely be simplified and made into a modern classic.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Ark said:

I just want to say that the idea of a giant football player in New York City makes for a great logo.

568a1e324218e18ddc62aa1e80187dc1.jpg

This wouldn't be a good primary logo today as is, but it could definitely be simplified and made into a modern classic.

Decent logo. Wouldn’t work on a helmet. It would also be quite easy to go overboard with a modernization and make the dude cartoonish. This one has a classy look that might be hard to duplicate. 

• Like 6

On 5/26/2021 at 5:03 PM, Claystation360 said:

Wasn't there talk when one of them ( Giants or Jets ) moved to Jersey they were gonna take on the NJ moniker but obviously decided against it.  

No.  That was never going to happen.

The Giants tried to downplay New York by taking "NY" off their helmets (as the Cosmos did to their badge when they also moved to the Meadowlands), but neither of those teams was ever going to actually cut ties.  That would have been suicidal. 

• Like 6

On 5/28/2021 at 11:40 AM, WSU151 said:

Our buddy who throws pennies as he passes by said the one helmet rule was gone and the NFL is just waiting to announce it as a surprise...which I still find highly doubtful despite this PFT news.

It seems to me that the NFL would make a big announcement to get the merchandise train rolling, and the sooner, the better. 

i agree that the timing would seem to be off, but it is worth noting that the league and retailers have sort of gotten away from the traditional timeline, whether that's pandemic-influenced (i assume the case with the NHL's reverse retro) or not (nike seems like it had this timeline for city connect planned, but maybe i'm wrong).

if the NFL did waive the one-shell rule, i could see them taking, like...six teams and trotting out throwbacks/existing designs on thanksgiving weekend (maybe like cowboys, bucs, pats, etc.). could goose holiday retail sales and put new merch in the pipeline for after the crucial catch/salute to service stuff wraps up.

• Like 5

sig2024.png