NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

7 minutes ago, BBTV said:

What's that have to do with anything?

At least “Football Team” has relevancy to the current league landscape. Pretty sure there’s no need to keep saying “FOOTBALL Giants” after 63 years of the other Giants being out West.

• Yawn 1

15 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

At least “Football Team” has relevancy to the current league landscape. Pretty sure there’s no need to keep saying “FOOTBALL Giants” after 63 years of the other Giants being out West.

No but it's neat so 🤷‍♂️

• Like 14

26 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

The Giants have nothing to do with any discussion about whether or not WFT is a good name.  Literally nothing.

• Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

edit: not worth it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Can we all agree that the biggest menace is people still referring to the Giants as “The New York FOOTBALL Giants” as if it still has any real meaning anymore.

Does anyone OTHER than Chris Berman still do this?

@BBTV is, as often the case, correct

• Like 7

It's where I sit.

13 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Does anyone OTHER than Chris Berman still do this?

@BBTV

I’ve heard it quite often honestly. I’m not entirely sure why anyone still says it. It’s irrelevant to even mention the “Football” part for the Giants.  As is “THE Ohio State”.  At least with Washington there’s currently and legitimately a necessary reason to say the “Football” part.

More of a “grinds my gear” kind of deal, I suppose. To each their own.

• Yawn 1

37 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I’ve heard it quite often honestly. I’m not entirely sure why anyone still says it. It’s irrelevant to even mention the “Football” part for the Giants. 

Point it out the next time you hear it, unless it is said by Berman or someone goofing on Berman.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

To be fair, my degree says “The Ohio State University.” Whether or not the extra emphasis is needed is up for debate, though. 

I feel like that extra emphasis was made up by people that hate the team and mostly Michigan fans.

• Like 2

bSLCtu2.png

55 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

I feel like that extra emphasis was made up by people that hate the team and mostly Michigan fans.

Former running back Robert Smith claims to have started it in the mid-90s. Said people in the program really made a point around that time  to emphasize that it was the official name of the university. 

I first remember hearing it during the player intros during Monday Night Football in the early 2000s. Can’t say I’ve ever noticed fans if any other teams using it with a negative connotation, though, at least not until the university tried to trademark “THE” last year. Most Ohio State fans see it as a point of pride, honestly.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

6 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

Former running back Robert Smith claims to have started it in the mid-90s. Said people in the program really made a point around that time  to emphasize that it was the official name of the university. 

I first remember hearing it during the player intros during Monday Night Football in the early 2000s. Can’t say I’ve ever noticed fans if any other teams using it with a negative connotation, though, at least not until the university tried to trademark “THE” last year. Most Ohio State fans see it as a point of pride, honestly.

Yeah, we are obnoxious enough to have started it, but most fans don't emphasize "the" much these days unless it's a rival making fun. 

Saying "New York Football Giants" is silly, but that makes it fun to me. It's like their the Giants of football itself!

10 hours ago, tigers said:

Football Giants, never heard it live.

It's a Chris Berman gimmick that still exists because he still works for ESPN. Outside of him, I've never heard another broadcaster use that term, other than people making fun of him or some guy with his own YouTube channel that gets upset about everything New York sports.

On that note, what if the San Francisco BASEBALL Giants decided to move back to New York? Or MLB Cleveland became the Cleveland BASEBALL Buckeyes? Both are probably pretty unlikely but you never know. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

Robert Smith is full of it. I saw a reference to it in the late '80s and wondered what the deal was.

11 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I’ve heard it quite often honestly. I’m not entirely sure why anyone still says it. It’s irrelevant to even mention the “Football” part for the Giants.  As is “THE Ohio State”.  At least with Washington there’s currently and legitimately a necessary reason to say the “Football” part.

More of a “grinds my gear” kind of deal, I suppose. To each their own.

But it's not like they are officially called the "Football Giants", and are forcing every media outlet to refer to them this way. It's just a fun nickname that ties into the history of sports in New York. It might be a nitpick or pet peeve of yours, but comparing it to the WFT is like apples & oranges.

A broadcaster starting a game by announcing "tonight the Football Giants take on the Eagles", isn't as much of an issue as hearing them say "tonight the Football Team takes on the Cowboys".

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

But it's not like they are officially called the "Football Giants", and are forcing every media outlet to refer to them this way. It's just a fun nickname that ties into the history of sports in New York. It might be a nitpick or pet peeve of yours, but comparing it to the WFT is like apples & oranges.

A broadcaster starting a game by announcing "tonight the Football Giants take on the Eagles", isn't as much of an issue as hearing them say "tonight the Football Team takes on the Cowboys".

I think they officially still are, at least they were when there were two Giants teams in New York. 

New York Giants Logo | Symbol, History, PNG (3840*2160)

• Like 6

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

26 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Except for the fact that “Football Team” is the official name so it’s not an issue. There’s a big irrelevancy to “Football Giants” still being used. It may be fun to say, but there’s no point in referring to New York as such.