NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

Why do the Saints hate gold so much? It's so bizarre

well, Cam Jordan is pushing hard to bring back the ugly gold jerseys from the late 90s. Even tweeting at Sean Payton while coach is on his honeymoon. Cam been hit in the head one too many times...and I'm a fan of his. We are way more likely to see the 69 preseason black Saints helmet and jerseys. 

• Like 6

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

... oops...
  • LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, aaa333bbb said:

More details here. One that stands out is that the new helmet must be paired with an alternate uniform.  I was kind of hoping that a team could have different color helmets that they could interchange with their home and road sets like college.  

Something else it mentions at the end:  The deadline for 2022 uniform changes has passed, and apparently this doesn't change that fact.  So a team can design an alt color helmet by July 31 of this year, but don't expect it to be worn with any new uniform next year - it would have to go along with their existing alts.

So I imagine the earliest you'll see a throwback for Patriots, Bucs, or Eagles would be 2023.

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I’m looking forward to seeing the new designs teams come up with if they don’t really have a throwback option for helmets. And by looking forward, I mean looking forward to how horrible they’ll be like Turn Ahead The Clock Night.

Here, enjoy a pre-beard and World Series winner Johnny Damon in those monstrosities.

spacer.png

Edited by Red Comet

12 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I’m looking forward to seeing the new designs teams come up with if they don’t really have a throwback option for helmets. And by looking forward, I mean looking forward to how horrible they’ll be like Turn Ahead The Clock Night.

Here, enjoy a pre-beard and World Series winner Johnny Damon in those monstrosities.

spacer.png

Somehow this is more embarrassing than his DUI mugshot.

johnny-damon-1.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

The issue is it’s not going to be a much of fun, colorful, interesting looks (except gaudy color rush options like Seattle). It’s going to be the occasional throwback, and a TON of Blackout and “Stormtrooper” looks. I dunno man, this could be tough. 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

I wonder if the new helmet rule would allow for teams to have up to 5 different jerseys now. If the Seahawks were to go with silver helmets for throwbacks they would have 5 different jerseys that they could wear. 

If you read the full release, it implies that it has to be worn with an existing alt, color rush, or a throwback.  So it seems like those are the four options.  It also says no new uniforms for 2022 (unless already submitted), so don't expect much besides maybe a few alt helmets for existing alt / CR jerseys until 2023 (unless team has already submitted new uniforms for 2022.)

• Like 8

I wonder what the definition of logo from the team's history. Helmet logos only? Or other logos from sleeves and other media?  I'm sure we have a good idea of throwback options, nut what team's will be mixing and matching novel hemlet/logo combos to use with alts and color rush?

• Like 1

I don't understand the sentiment that this will somehow destroy the league's aesthetics. Nothing is stopping that already. Teams put out bad looks all the time. Having the option for an accurate throwback or a different helmet for your alternate changes nothing.

• Like 14

Kind of annoying that everybody knew this was coming, and yet they waited until the deadline passed for uniforms to be planned next season. Oh well, still a long overdue change that will lead to some beloved looks returning along with some chances for more cohesive and interesting alternates. Consider me intrigued for what will come from this.

• Like 6

spacer.png

3 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Doesn’t this:

spacer.png

Look better than this?: 

spacer.png

It’s kind of a wash. I like Kyler’s yellow shoes in the bottom pic, to be honest. 

Of course, the Cardinals should not be dressing up as blood clots in the first place. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Look for two, possibly three nice throwback looks, followed by an avalanche of absolute garbage.

Buccaneers, Broncos, Eagles, Patriots, Titans/Oilers, Chargers, Falcons, Steelers, Bills...heck, a couple years ago people were clamoring on here to see the Jets stick with white helmets while going back to kelly green. They can do the proper Namath throwback that they wouldn’t do when their unis were so close that casual fans wouldn’t have noticed the difference. 

Now, will some teams trot out garbage? Um, yeah. (Looking at you, Rams.) I do like the idea of throwbacks being possible again, though. 

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Buccaneers, Broncos, Eagles, Patriots, Titans/Oilers, Chargers, Falcons, Steelers, Bills...heck, a couple years ago people were clamoring on here to see the Jets stick with white helmets while going back to kelly green. They can do the proper Namath throwback that they wouldn’t do when their unis were so close that casual fans wouldn’t have noticed the difference. 

Now, will some teams trot out garbage? Um, yeah. (Looking at you, Rams.) I do like the idea of throwbacks being possible again, though. 

My biggest fear is the hype around all black “night looks” will eventually become more exciting then throwbacks. Sure the Jets can go for throwbacks the first couple seasons but after, what is it, 4 seasons? They’re going to roll out a black helmet of course to go with the black uniforms. 

There’s also the fear that this opens the door to the NFL removing other good restrictions such as the 4 year rule, or the restrictions on how often alternates can be worn.

Who says in 5 years the NFL hasn’t introduced a city uniform program that changes once a year similar to the MLB and NBA and the Packers are trotting out in red or black uniforms 4-5 games out of the year.

• Like 2

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

Of those teams, only the Buccaneers, Chargers, and possibly the Patriots will have the opportunity to wear interesting throwbacks that shouldn't just replace their primary helmets.  The Bills in red and the Steelers in yellow do nothing for me.  As for the others... the Broncos, Eagles, Titans, Seahawks and Falcons... all of those team's current uniforms and helmets blow... they don't need throwback helmets, they need to dump their current ugly looks and just go back to versions of the old uniforms permanently.  In fact, the idea that they can now trot out throwbacks means they have less incentive to start wearing their clearly better uniforms as primaries.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1