NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

As long as the NFL keeps the rule of being able to wear alternates 3 times a season then I am completely fine with this.  Everyone should just chill out, we got 18 weeks in the NFL season now and a large majority of it will still be in the primary uniforms for each team.

• Like 10

bSLCtu2.png

7 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

As long as the NFL keeps the rule of being able to wear alternates 3 times a season then I am completely fine with this.  Everyone should just chill out, we got 18 weeks in the NFL season now and a large majority of it will still be in the primary uniforms for each team.

I suppose if this were to remain true, I would be okay with it. But I don't trust any league as far as I could throw any of its commissioners. After all, corporate logos on NHL teams' helmets was supposed to be a one-season thing, to "recoup losses from COVID-19".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

We’ll probably see the faux leather helmets for Washington. Once the rebranding happens, it’s open season on helmets for that team

The article said that the deadline for 2022 had passed and no new uniforms could be made for 2022 that haven't already been submitted.  Not sure if that means "no change unless you've filed with the league for a change" or "no change unless you have your design submitted already".

Coincidentally, the local news just mentioned this story as I am typing this.  It said the Eagles were bringing back kelly green alts for 2022, but 1) if so, that means no black helmet, and 2) means they must have put in for the kelly green alt based on speculation.  I don't think the news people really bothered to research a uniform story very much, so I think that the earliest we'll see a kelly green alt would be 2023.  If that's the case, I expect a black helmet for 2022.

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, BBTV said:

Something else it mentions at the end:  The deadline for 2022 uniform changes has passed, and apparently this doesn't change that fact.  So a team can design an alt color helmet by July 31 of this year, but don't expect it to be worn with any new uniform next year - it would have to go along with their existing alts.

So I imagine the earliest you'll see a throwback for Patriots, Bucs, or Eagles would be 2023.

Not necessarily the case. Some teams but not all left their throwbacks with different helmets in their uniform guide even though they knew they could not use them until the rule was changed.

These are the teams that have at least a look or more from their past that would require another helmet to be used... if an * is shown then ey still have said look as an option in official uniform guide.

Bears - Brown or white leather helmet era
Bills - silver or Kelly era Red
Broncos - brown, orange, or Orange Crush era lighter blue
Browns - Previous shade of Orange or all white from leather era
Bucs - creamsicle era white
Cardinals - 50's era red helmets or old leather helmet era styles
Chargers - Fouts era blue, Darker navy era as well
Colts - 50's era blue
Cowboys - 60's era white *
Eagles - Kelly green, White, or 30's yellow and blue
Falcons - 70's and 80's Red
49ers - 40's white, Silver and Red also
Giants - looking through their history they wore brown leather, and white leather too 
Jaguars - the black/teal color change ones or the gradient (I hope for neither, but they are options)
Jets - Titan era blue or white
Lions - looking through their history they actual wore red, white, blue and even gold helmets at one point or another.
Packers - they wore brown leather early, blue and gold, green with yellow accents, a pale gold and even white.
Patriots - White *
Raiders - Black
Rams - Red from the 30's and 1949, pale gold also from those early years, and yellow
Saints - different shade of gold (unlikely but is a possible option)
Seahawks - silver, different shade of blue
Steelers - Yellow or white
Titans - White, silver or a lighter blue
Washington - Brown leather era, or yellow.

• Like 1

Good info - but if it's only the Patriots and Cowboys, then it stands to reason that the others will have to wait until 2023, which is kind of a bummer.  

What's the Raiders "black"?  I don't recall them ever having a black helmet in their past.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

16 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

It's all fun and games until we realize half the teams that utilize another helmet will do it for some  monochromatic, Color Rush style Arena League look rather than a classic Throwback.

To be fair, for most people it literally is just “fun and games”.

• Like 14

16 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

It's all fun and games until we realize half the teams that utilize another helmet will do it for some  monochromatic, Color Rush style Arena League look rather than a classic Throwback.

Possibly the only team I’m okay with doing this is Baltimore. They’ve only ever had a standard black helmet plus they can’t exactly do their original helmet logo for legal reasons. All purple* would be fine by me.

*- with the inclusion of black socks.

spacer.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

I may have missed it in this thread, but It also sounds like the alternate helmets can only be worn with classic, alternate, or color rush uniforms and not with primary home and road unis.

The Article stated the following

"The revised policy allows teams to utilize a second (alternate color) approved helmet to pair with their Alternate, Classic and/or Color Rush uniforms."

So from that it appears you are correct and a different helmet cannot be used with the primary home and away looks. I will say though that just b/c the article wrote that we are unsure what the official policy sent to the the teams stated.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

What's the Raiders "black"?  I don't recall them ever having a black helmet in their past.

The first ever Raiders uniform had a plain black helmet from 1960 to 1962. In 1962 they added a yellow stripe. I doubt the Raiders ever throw back to this look unless the fanbase really pushes for it and from everything I've seen, nobody is down for black and yellow. The 1970 throwback is here to stay.

A2jaOjQ.jpg

• Like 3

bSLCtu2.png

25 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

The first ever Raiders uniform had a plain black helmet from 1960 to 1962. In 1962 they added a yellow stripe. I doubt the Raiders ever throw back to this look unless the fanbase really pushes for it and from everything I've seen, nobody is down for black and yellow. The 1970 throwback is here to stay.

A2jaOjQ.jpg

I believe #15 is HOF Coach Tom Flores.

• Like 1
PersonDivided-2-1.png

3 hours ago, Froob said:

Steelers yellow helmet would be great. It’d probably look nice with their color rush too.

And white pants with yellow stripe with two black stripes on the side of it. 

Steelers Set to Unveil New Throwback Alternate Uniform – SportsLogos.Net  News

UNOFFICiAL ATHLETIC | Pittsburgh Steelers Rebrand

• Like 4
  • Hurl 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, canzman said:

The Article stated the following:

"The revised policy allows teams to utilize a second (alternate color) approved helmet to pair with their Alternate, Classic and/or Color Rush uniforms."

So from that it appears you are correct and a different helmet cannot be used with the primary home and away looks. I will say though that just b/c the article wrote that we are unsure what the official policy sent to the the teams stated.

If this is the official rule that would technically mean the Bengals would not be allowed to get white helmets and wear it with their away jersey which is what everyone has been wanting to happen. Maybe they will bypass this and say that when they wear white jerseys/pants/socks it is color rush like how the Colts, Chiefs, Packers, Bears, and WFT all share their color rush jersey with either their primary home or away jersey.

1 minute ago, DNAsports said:

Look up on this page

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

A2jaOjQ.jpg

Is this what you're referring to? I thought this was the Bears.

• Like 3