NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

2 hours ago, pepis21 said:

So with that 5 years rules should be applied to Colts or not? They basically only changed numbers font and rest were a minor tweaks.

While a decent question, the Colts aren't changing their iconic look (again) anytime soon.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

57 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

The Bengals will have new uniforms, if the rumors about them is true. Green Bay and the LA Rams will have a new alternate. Who else will have something new in 2021?

Cardinals gotta do something. Kyler Murray is pressuring the team by publicly saying they currently look like shyte. You can only hope ownership is listening

• Like 5

6uXNWAo.png

46 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

Where did you hear Green Bay will have an alternate

I don't remember where in the thread it is and don't really have the energy to look, but they were supposed to have a new throwback this year but things got all jumbled with Covid, so it got pushed back a year. At least if I'm remembering correctly, that's what happened.

• Like 2

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 1/23/2021 at 9:47 AM, SFGiants58 said:

At the very least, the Texans can switch to white helmets and replace navy with powder. They should do everything in their power to be the Oilers in all but name. 

Co-signed. The Texans logo is out-freaking standing and should live forever, but the rest of their identity is so incredibly "meh".

The only question is: Would the Titans try and stop the Texans from touching the Oilers brand, even if it is just the colors. Tennessee sued the XFL for "paying homage" to the Oilers, wouldn't put a tantrum over the Texans use of Luv Ya Blue past them.

Tʜᴇ Tᴀᴏ ᴏғ Sᴛᴇᴠᴇ B. on Twitter: "Saw this online. What the @HoustonTexans  would look like with the old Oilers colors. I like.… "

• Like 7

6uXNWAo.png

2 hours ago, pepis21 said:

So with that 5 years rules should be applied to Colts or not? They basically only changed numbers font and rest were a minor tweaks.

I think minor changes mean template changes, i.e. the Panthers last year going from the Reebok template to the new Nike template, or small patch/word mark/ logo changes like the Patriots changing the chest word mark to the current arched PATRIOTS from the script Patriots. Although I could be wrong, but that is what “minor changes” would mean to me. If that is the case, the Colts would probably be considered a redesign because a whole new number font was used, new logos were added, and the anvil-forge-Nikespeak black was added to the away uniform.

On 1/23/2021 at 8:47 AM, SFGiants58 said:

At the very least, the Texans can switch to white helmets and replace navy with powder. They should do everything in their power to be the Oilers in all but name. 

Bad idea, imo for a number of reasons:

1. We've already got the Chargers and Titans using powder in the AFC. We've already got them plus Patriots, Colts, Bills all using blue as the dominant color. Texans current color scheme stands out more.

2. IMO again, but everything about the Texans brand is far superior to the Oilers.

3. The fanbase has had 20 years to get used to the Texans, there's an entire generation who only knows the Texans. No need to alienate them potentially.

4. You don't want the fanbase to be stuck in the past, you want to establish the TEXANS, not remind everyone that you're NOT the Oilers.

• Like 5

In response to @colortv

1. We've already got the Chargers and Titans using powder in the AFC. We've already got them plus Patriots, Colts, Bills all using blue as the dominant color. Texans current color scheme stands out more.

If the most of AFC East can wear white helmets...

if every team in the NFC South can use black...

then 3 of 32 teams can use powder blue.

2. IMO again, but everything about the Texans brand is far superior to the Oilers.

Dead wrong. Aside form the Texans logo (which is 10/10), there is not one thing that excels or stands out about the identity.

3. The fanbase has had 20 years to get used to the Texans, there's an entire generation who only knows the Texans. No need to alienate them potentially.

20 years of what, Dom Capers and Bill O'Brien? A losing culture is good by Houston fans, but they'll split if you dare change the color scheme.. Gotcha.

4. You don't want the fanbase to be stuck in the past, you want to establish the TEXANS, not remind everyone that you're NOT the Oilers.

Tell this to Cleveland fans. Imagine in '99 if they came back as something completely opposite of the Browns. There's no reason why the Texans can't do something similar, even if it is just swapping navy with powder blue to pay homage to the Oilers.

• Like 5

6uXNWAo.png

The only change the Texans need to make to their current uniforms is adding red socks back to their primary road combo. 

spacer.png

• Like 15

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

8 hours ago, colortv said:

But I'm not sure the Texans have managed to "establish the Texans" in their 20 years of existence. The only thing they have going for them in that argument is that they've managed to exist for that long. Its entire look can be defined as inoffensive and uninspiring. 

Frankly, I see similarities between the Texans today and the Buccaneers in 1997. That team embraced a completely new brand identity after also being around for 20 years with very limited success during that period. The Texans, in my view, don't need to wipe the slate clean with their logo, but this could be an opportunity for them to advance their brand in a way that doesn't alienate its core fan base and energizes an old one. 

Another corollary is the Chargers: a team that evolved its existing brand by making a permanent link back to its past by embracing its powder blue history. I wouldn't characterize that move as being "stuck in the past."

The Titans may be a different franchise than the Oilers, but making a similar move would reconcile its present and future to the city's storied football history.  

Honestly, I can't even believe that this is a debate. It's so simple. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Cujo said:

While a decent question, the Colts aren't changing their iconic look (again) anytime soon.

That's for sure, but it would be good to know which parts are listed as a "Minor adjustments" and which as a "redesign".

14 hours ago, kb105 said:

If that is the case, the Colts would probably be considered a redesign because a whole new number font was used, new logos were added, and the anvil-forge-Nikespeak black was added to the away uniform.

On the other hand whole design is still the same even template is still from flywire era. They also didn't add any new logos on uniforms (except that  inner-collar "C" logo but it's invisible in game) and helmet probably didn't count if we look at Rams and their white horns which were re-introduced in 2017. Nike logo shouldn't be considering as a change too because it's a manufacturer logo. So imo from all of these changes only numbers could be a reason to applied 5 years rule in this case.

4r2eer.png

I don't get the call for the Texans playing dressup as the Oilers.  With so much issues and complaining about the bass ackwards revisionist history that the NBA does, why would the Texans get an exception?

The Texans are taking their colors from the Texas flag.  the bull logo emulates the design with the solid blue and red/white. changing the Deep Steel Blue to the Oiler blue would remove that aspect of it.

Houston's team is now the Texans.  The Oilers left. Should the identity have stayed in Houston? Probably.  But the people there also just accepted the move like so many others before had. Which is weird as the Browns had left the year prior and there was enough of an uproar from fans in Cleveland to retain the Browns identity/history/colors/etc.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Cujo said:

Co-signed. The Texans logo is out-freaking standing and should live forever, but the rest of their identity is so incredibly "meh".

The only question is: Would the Titans try and stop the Texans from touching the Oilers brand, even if it is just the colors. Tennessee sued the XFL for "paying homage" to the Oilers, wouldn't put a tantrum over the Texans use of Luv Ya Blue past them.

Tʜᴇ Tᴀᴏ ᴏғ Sᴛᴇᴠᴇ B. on Twitter: "Saw this online. What the @HoustonTexans  would look like with the old Oilers colors. I like.… "

They’ll likely never get the opportunity to use those colors, but my favorite concept I’ve seen of those colors being used is this one-

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 13

12 hours ago, Cujo said:

Cardinals gotta do something. Kyler Murray is pressuring the team by publicly saying they currently look like shyte. You can only hope ownership is listening

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Better players have worn bad or worse uniforms. A player making noise on social media does not justify a uniform change. And for the record, I think the Cardinals' current look is dated and tired. 

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

They’ll likely never get the opportunity to use those colors, but my favorite concept I’ve seen of those colors being used is this one-

spacer.png

Reminds me of a commerical back in 2013, as noted on this board:

1cGNr0Sh.jpg

EDlMzzwh.jpg

• Like 4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The problem is, you've got a great color scheme (oilers) and a great logo (texans) but they don't mix together. The powder blue is not "aggressive" enough for the Texans current logo. Either fully commit to the Texans (and emphasize use of red) or go back to being the Houston Oilers (if the titans would allow it)

• Like 4

fiowXOD.png

3 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

The problem is, you've got a great color scheme (oilers) and a great logo (texans) but they don't mix together. The powder blue is not "aggressive" enough for the Texans current logo. Either fully commit to the Texans (and emphasize use of red) or go back to being the Houston Oilers (if the titans would allow it)

They wont

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Luv Ya Blue is probably never happening for the Texans, but I could see them pulling off a more "rustic" color scheme that comes close enough.

spacer.png

Perfect, as it (incoming Nikespeak)

a) harkens back to the history of football in Houston

b) brings a rustic Texas vibe to the Texans brand

c) incorporates “bone” as the primary light uniform

• Like 1