NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Of course it is. 

But that doesn’t mean everything they think is in the best interests of ownership is actually in the best interest of ownership. 

The cartel is more or less capable depending on who comprises those 32 votes.  And in the 90s, those 32 votes made some pretty bad decisions. 

Other than shortsighted awarding of a franchise to jax, I am having a hard time pinpointing any bad financial moves that the ownership collective has made. Since tagliabue they have been hellbent on growing tv revenue which they have excelled at. Now since goodell took over they have had multiple pr failures and scandals which has generated bad press but any of their recent viewership issues are more a byproduct of the secular decline of broadcast tv. The biggest long term financial risk that they have taken in my opinion is saturating the calendar with so many non-Sunday game because that has really diluted the product in my opinion. I would like to hear about some of these other decisions that I am probably overlooking though.

8 minutes ago, colortv said:

Which teams have gone the longest without a major uniform change/rebrand?

Excluding "traditional" teams that won't change like Green Bay, Las Vegas, Chicago, Steelers, Chiefs?

“Which teams have gone the longest without a change other than the teams that have gone the longest without a change?”

• Like 21
  • LOL 1

15 minutes ago, colortv said:

Excluding "traditional" teams that won't change like Green Bay, Las Vegas, Chicago, Steelers, Chiefs?

Broncos have gotta be up there. They've had their same basic template since the mid-90s

fiowXOD.png

17 minutes ago, colortv said:

Depending on how technical you want to be, the Eagles are either 1996 or 2003.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, dont care said:

Well there are the panthers who never made a change since 1995 when they were founded.

Technically they changed their logo, but I wouldn't count that.  If they've essentially never changed, then should they be put in the category as the Packers, Chiefs, et al? 

They haven't changed until they have.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, BBTV said:

Technically they changed their logo, but I wouldn't count that.  If they've essentially never changed, then should they be put in the category as the Packers, Chiefs, et al? 

They haven't changed until they have.

But the packers and chiefs have changed. Actually the packers have redesigned their uniforms after the panthers were founded. The chiefs changed their uniforms after moving to KC and changed from the Texans to the Chiefs.

The biggest change the Panthers have ever made to the design of their uniform (aside from updating the logo, of course) was removing the logo from the pants in 2018 when they updated templates. The Panthers are a very traditionally-minded team in terms of uniform design and quite honestly they should stay that way.

• Like 5

the user formerly known as cdclt

34 minutes ago, dont care said:

But the packers and chiefs have changed. Actually the packers have redesigned their uniforms after the panthers were founded. The chiefs changed their uniforms after moving to KC and changed from the Texans to the Chiefs.

The Chiefs also changed their uniforms in 2012 when they moved to Nike. The stripes on the cuffs got moved to the sleeve. 

• Like 1

If moving striping from the cuffs to the shoulder caps is a "major change", then wouldn't changing the primary home uniform constitute as a major change as well? Even if that weren't the case, the Cowboys redesigned in 1996, beating out the Broncos

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dont care said:

10 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

The Chiefs also changed their uniforms in 2012 when they moved to Nike. The stripes on the cuffs got moved to the sleeve. 

For purposes of this discussion, I think it's fair to say the Packers and Chiefs haven't changed their "basic look" for a long time.  

The OP counted the Steelers as a "traditional team that won't ever change", even though they changed their numbers (pretty dramatically) 20ish years ago.

Now if you want to count the Packers stupidly adding the G to their sleeves as a big change, then OK, but IMO it didn't change their look.  I think we're talking about full redesigns, like the Broncos going from orange crush to high-school side paneled trash, the Falcons going from Deion to the nascar-numbered set with all the piping, or the Eagles going from kelly green/silver to midnight green/black.

• Like 4

And on that note, here's the last major update for every team. I'm defining it as either a primary jersey color change or something casual fans would recognize as a new set.

Browns: 2020

Buccaneers: 2020

Chargers: 2020

Falcons: 2020

Patriots: 2020

Rams: 2020

WFT: 2020

Jets; 2019

Jaguars: 2018

Titans: 2018

Lions: 2017

Dolphins: 2013

Vikings: 2013

Broncos: 2012 (primary jersey color change; white jersey last changed in 1997)

Seahawks: 2012

Bills: 2011

49ers: 2009

Cardinals: 2005

Giants: 2005

Bengals: 2004

Texans: 2002 (never changed)

Saints: 2000

Ravens: 1999 (minor tweaks in 2000)

Steelers: 1997

Cowboys: 1996

Eagles: 1996 (minor tweaks in 2003)

Panthers: 1995 (never changed)

Packers: 1989 (I'm counting the sleeve G as a separate set; otherwise 1961)

Colts: 1987 (they've made minor tweaks here and there, but nothing outright new)

Bears: 1973

Raiders: 1971

Chiefs: 1968 (I'm counting the addition of the sleeve stripes; otherwise 1963, never changed post-relocation)

• Like 4