NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Wasn't so long ago but feels almost out of body at this point.

I call it the 2020 effect. 2020 makes things that happened six months ago feel like they happened 6 years ago. I just celebrated an insignificant anniversary of something that took place on July 11, 2020. It feels like that little event took place five years ago. 2020 really knocked us off our time axis or whatever you want to call it. I've been around a long time and I can't remember a year that has as much of a "before and after" feel. Even 2001 never felt like this.

Since I'm here, the new Rams jerseys are pretty solid. Nothing to write home about, but it could have been a lot worse. I give them a 7.

• Like 14

BB52Big.jpg

On 7/14/2021 at 6:43 PM, ssj_homeslice said:

Dan Snyder is indeed a petty, spiteful man but I don't think you can use the placeholder name of "Football Team" as proof of that. It takes years to create a new brand and corporate identity, and the 'Skins sponsors rebelling essentially forced a change overnight. 

The Edmonton Elks just proved you don't need years to create a new identity. 

• Like 14

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

Seriously, the idea that it takes YEARS to come up with a identity is ridiculous. Hell, there are current and former members of this site that could probably put together a solid identity in a week under the right circumstances.

But, I guess people just don't understand that the NFL 2 year (or however long it is) advance deadline for new identities is both a supply side thing and a risk aversion thing.

Obviously, these franchises are putting a ton of money on the line designing a new identity and don't want to risk screwing it up, so they have a ton of safety measures. The team has to like the design and if they don't it's back to the drawing board for alterations or entirely new designs, then the fans have to like it and if they don't love it 100%, back to make more changes until everyone is happy except the designers. Then there are the legal processes of applying for trademarks, etc. Again, under the right circumstances, I'm positive that one of the professionals on the site could get a solid identity out the door, including the testing and legal stuff in a matter of months if everyone's on board. As IceCap noted, the Elks did just that. But, by making a team do it so far in advance, the NFL guarantees that 1) a team doesn't just rush something out without full coordination with the league, and 2) even if someone drags their feet during the process, it can be ready on schedule for the manufacturing and distribution of merchandise.

That manufacturing and distribution is the second consideration. The NFL clearly wants to have everything ready for sale the moment an identity or jersey is properly unveiled. You can't exactly call up your suppliers out of the blue and expect for tens to hundreds of thousands of pieces of merchandise to be ready in a few days. There are an astronomical number of things they need to have and know in order to get things prepped and out the door. Getting them all that information takes time, and it all needs to be done well in advance.

TLDR, The creative process doesn't need to take years. The NFL and its teams are afraid of losing money so the 2 year rule allows them to be cautious about the process to make sure everything is done correctly with plenty of time to spare (making it extra infuriating when they inevitably screw up).

(This post isn't directed at you, IceCap. I know you know all this already).

• Like 14

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

It's not fair to compare the NFL and CFL.  There's way more at stake with an NFL rebrand, as there's way more stakeholders, fans, partners of all types, etc.  There's probably half as many people with a vested interest in the WFT team name (whether financial or emotional) than reside in the entire country of Canada.  The fan bases are way different too, and there's even subtle cultural differences between the countries that make the WFT job more difficult than the Elks.

Snyder is an idiot, and it didn't have to drag on this long, but saying "the Elks did it in x time so WFT should have been able to too" isn't fair.  While it doesn't necessarily need to be more complicated, there's more at stake, more pressure to get it right, and more eyes on it.

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On the other hand, WFT came together pretty quick and the reaction a year later to the team name, logo, and uniforms remains pretty positive.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, MDGP said:

Seriously, the idea that it takes YEARS to come up with a identity is ridiculous. Hell, there are current and former members of this site that could probably put together a solid identity in a week under the right circumstances.

But, I guess people just don't understand that the NFL 2 year (or however long it is) advance deadline for new identities is both a supply side thing and a risk aversion thing.

Obviously, these franchises are putting a ton of money on the line designing a new identity and don't want to risk screwing it up, so they have a ton of safety measures. The team has to like the design and if they don't it's back to the drawing board for alterations or entirely new designs, then the fans have to like it and if they don't love it 100%, back to make more changes until everyone is happy except the designers. Then there are the legal processes of applying for trademarks, etc. Again, under the right circumstances, I'm positive that one of the professionals on the site could get a solid identity out the door, including the testing and legal stuff in a matter of months if everyone's on board. As IceCap noted, the Elks did just that. But, by making a team do it so far in advance, the NFL guarantees that 1) a team doesn't just rush something out without full coordination with the league, and 2) even if someone drags their feet during the process, it can be ready on schedule for the manufacturing and distribution of merchandise.

That manufacturing and distribution is the second consideration. The NFL clearly wants to have everything ready for sale the moment an identity or jersey is properly unveiled. You can't exactly call up your suppliers out of the blue and expect for tens to hundreds of thousands of pieces of merchandise to be ready in a few days. There are an astronomical number of things they need to have and know in order to get things prepped and out the door. Getting them all that information takes time, and it all needs to be done well in advance.

TLDR, The creative process doesn't need to take years. The NFL and its teams are afraid of losing money so the 2 year rule allows them to be cautious about the process to make sure everything is done correctly with plenty of time to spare (making it extra infuriating when they inevitably screw up).

(This post isn't directed at you, IceCap. I know you know all this already).

Wait, so you’re telling me the Rams had 2 whole years to come up with something and we ended up with this??!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IceCap said:

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

It's not fair to compare the NFL and CFL.  There's way more at stake with an NFL rebrand, as there's way more stakeholders, fans, partners of all types, etc.  There's probably half as many people with a vested interest in the WFT team name (whether financial or emotional) than reside in the entire country of Canada.  The fan bases are way different too, and there's even subtle cultural differences between the countries that make the WFT job more difficult than the Elks.

Snyder is an idiot, and it didn't have to drag on this long, but saying "the Elks did it in x time so WFT should have been able to too" isn't fair.  While it doesn't necessarily need to be more complicated, there's more at stake, more pressure to get it right, and more eyes on it.

I don't think the CFL is as wrapped up in making money off of a new identity as the NFL is. I also wonder how many people decided to copyright names for the Edmonton team changes compared to the US.  Had he been able to get immediate access to the name he wanted, I think Washington would be using that name now instead of a placeholder for two years. I also think he may have been hoping to see a change in the waters so he could keep the old name, but the flood waters at Washington Park kept going up with all of the BS that team has been doing over the years coming to light. 

26 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Washington Soccer Workforce is sitting there waiting for you, Dan Snyder.

I still like the 32's better.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

21 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Contrasted with the Rams who should have just reverted back to their classic 80's-90's look, one that is heavily associated with both LA and their only Super Bowl win during the early St. Louis years... and instead they came out with the disjointed horns, plastic gradient numbers, brighter yellow, and the bone... This year's uniform starts to fix that, but really it's a no brainer what they need to do. They need look no further than their rivals to the north in Santa Clara to know what needs to be done. 

The Rams clearly had different intentions than the Chargers. They definitely knew a large portion of their fanbase just wanted the throwbacks to come back, but they also knew that those hardcore fans wouldn't bail on the team just because they didn't like the uniforms. 

It seems like they were targeting the lost generation of LA football fans who grew up without the same attachment to the old Rams look. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I don't think the CFL is as wrapped up in making money off of a new identity as the NFL is.

CFL teams don't want to make money? Come on, man. 

Hell, there's a tweet in the Edmonton Elks thread about a team official reporting that the new identity was selling incredibly well. 

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I also wonder how many people decided to copyright names for the Edmonton team changes compared to the US.  Had he been able to get immediate access to the name he wanted, I think Washington would be using that name now instead of a placeholder for two years.

That's a red herring. NFL teams can easily afford to pay off whatever copyright squatters are in the way. It wasn't a hinderance. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, IceCap said:

CFL teams don't want to make money? Come on, man. 

Hell, there's a tweet in the Edmonton Elks thread about a team official reporting that the new identity was selling incredibly well. 

That's a red herring. NFL teams can easily afford to pay off whatever copyright squatters are in the way. It wasn't a hinderance. 

I'm sure they do, but I don't think they have as many nitnoid regulations that the NFL seems to have as far as needing 2 years of lead time for production reasons and to get rid of current stock.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Since it's come up multiple times, the name squatters thing is a trademark issue, not a copyright issue (at least not at this stage), which makes a big difference since there isn't a guaranteed right to a trademark like copyrights. 

If you hold a copyright, it's yours assuming there isn't some agreement limiting your right, and you hold that right for a set period. Unless you violated copyright law in obtaining it or you don't actually hold the copyright, it generally can't be forcibly taken away until it goes into the public domain.

A trademark however, you must show that the mark is actually being used for trade (hence the name). If you just purchase a domain name and apply for a trademark, but don't actually use it, you will lose that trademark if someone who legitimately wants to use it makes a challenge.

And since it'll get brought up, a guy purchasing a bunch of names immediately after the team announced they were changing and then selling a t-shirt design with the names to like 20 people almost guaranteed wouldn't prevail in a challenge by Washington. That's pretty much the trademark equivalent of someone posting full episodes of a TV show on youtube and then saying "this video was posted to foster discussion and analysis therefore no copyright infringement is intended."

• Like 5

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

13 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I call it the 2020 effect. 2020 makes things that happened six months ago feel like they happened 6 years ago. I just celebrated an insignificant anniversary of something that took place on July 11, 2020. It feels like that little event took place five years ago. 2020 really knocked us off our time axis or whatever you want to call it. I've been around a long time and I can't remember a year that has as much of a "before and after" feel. Even 2001 never felt like this.

Since I'm here, the new Rams jerseys are pretty solid. Nothing to write home about, but it could have been a lot worse. I give them a 7.

Dude, I feel you. My last haircut was sometime around February of 2020. It feels like I’ve been growing it out in a Fabio-esque fashion for my whole adult life, almost. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The Rams clearly had different intentions than the Chargers. They definitely knew a large portion of their fanbase just wanted the throwbacks to come back, but they also knew that those hardcore fans wouldn't bail on the team just because they didn't like the uniforms. 

It seems like they were targeting the lost generation of LA football fans who grew up without the same attachment to the old Rams look. 

I think the Rams also have an "All-In" type attitude in their entire organization.

They hired the youngest head coach in history, they trade draft picks for top end talent, they signed players to huge contracts, they traded away their QB.

They have been kind of living on the edge and doing risky things for the past 5 years.

Something tells me they knew they could just put out a slight variation of the classic and almost perfect look -- but they didn't think going safe would fit with what their ethos is right now.

I can't stand what they did with the rebrand, especially the helmets, but I can't blame them for risking it if that was their thought process. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm sure they do, but I don't think they have as many nitnoid regulations that the NFL seems to have as far as needing 2 years of lead time for production reasons and to get rid of current stock.

That's my point though. You don't need two years of lead time to rebrand. The Edmonton Eskimos became the EE Football Team and then became the Edmonton Elks in the span of a year. 

Surely the NFL and Nike- who have way more resources and money than the CFL and New Era- could accomplish something in a similar timeframe. The Elks' rebrand basically laid bare all the bs behind the standard corporate double talk that goes into this stuff. 

"It's a process," "we want to tell the right story," blah blah blah. Edmonton put some names on a website, asked fans to vote, and then ran with the winner. It's not rocket science. It only seems that way because the people at the helm of branding in the NFL and Nike are way too fond of the smell of their own farts. 

14 minutes ago, ramsker said:

Something tells me they knew they could just put out a slight variation of the classic and almost perfect look -- but they didn't think going safe would fit with what their ethos is right now.

Kind of short sighted and dumb if true. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, IceCap said:

You don't need two years of lead time to rebrand.

At least not from the uniform and logo angle. If Dan Synder came to these here boards and started a thread asking for ideas, he'd have at minimum 10 viable options within 24 hours. (Not counting the ones already here) And they'd all probably be better than whatever bull-:censored: the hacks in Beaverton would come up with. 

Viva la coceptos seccion! 🙃

• Like 8

BB52Big.jpg

Still thinking about the new Rams away Jersey (manifesting that). I liked the blue Jersey last year, but was really sad about the bone debacle. I finally saw the new jersey and the blue together in this photo today, and now I love the blue. The set finally feels complete. Both of these over the the yellow pants with the blue socks and I’m down with the Rams looking like this for a long time.

G5vUsUQ.jpg

I wanted a modern take on the classics and they did it. If I have to complain the gradient can go, and the bone uniform MUST be relegated to alternate or destroyed next year. Other than that I’m happy, new horn and all.

• Like 15

19 hours ago, IceCap said:

Surely the NFL and Nike- who have way more resources and money than the CFL and New Era- could accomplish something similar...

They could but don’t want to. And don’t call me Shirley. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

They could but don’t want to. And don’t call me Shirley. 

Shame cause the CFL needs to start being serious about merchandise. There is no centralized CFL store and the exposer is always last to everything. If they want to make money then they need to grow through merch. 

• Like 1

zyyMk1d.png