NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

5 hours ago, grubstreet said:

Unfortunately I think it has less to do with trying to design a good look and more to do with a new prerequisite to have custom numbers.  I recall reading (probably here) that one of the main motivators for the introduction of unique number fonts is to curb counterfeiters from producing accurate knockoffs.  The Vikings nailed it with a clever tweak to a traditional look, fortified with an extra level of minutiae of doing it on the leading number. The Seahawks and Rams also have the extra layers in addition to the custom shape. I'm afraid that this is the way going forward. Bad structural design and superfluous details on top. It's going to get ugly.

This makes sense.

8 hours ago, O.C.D said:

a designer who's been educated scholastically

Can you imagine how much better modern artists would be if they were able to dedicate themselves like this?

OK, I have questions.  

With the first comment, are you suggesting that you believe the designers currently working at the major athletic suppliers didn't go to school?   

And with the second... are you saying that if they had been educated in a renaissance-style sweat shop, apprenticed to an old master in an indentured servant relationship for a decade or more, upon finally breaking away and establishing themselves they would be much more likely to commit to the exclusive use of traditional block numbering in all their designs?

I love this place.

• Like 28

They showed Bucco Bruce at the end of the reveal trailer so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic, then again if we got multiple helmets this year wouldn't the Colts have opted for blue? I don't know, but I'm hopeful for a creamsicle return... 

Also, although they might have been in Baltimore during the era these are nice throwbacks!

The Colts throwbacks are fine, but I think what they need to do is find a way to return to shoulder hoops that actually connect under the armpit.  I hate the new version shoulder stripes that just stop at the chest.  We need some of these (with or without sleeves, make it happen!!!)

spacer.png

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, rorinator said:

They showed Bucco Bruce at the end of the reveal trailer so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic, then again if we got multiple helmets this year wouldn't the Colts have opted for blue? I don't know, but I'm hopeful for a creamsicle return... 

Also, although they might have been in Baltimore during the era these are nice throwbacks!

We aren’t getting them this year. Next year is when the rule will be put into place, and even then most teams didn’t have uniforms scheduled for them 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WideRight said:

The Colts throwbacks are fine, but I think what they need to do is find a way to return to shoulder hoops that actually connect under the armpit.

It can't be THAT difficult to create a CCSLC post-bot where you input the team and the poster type (classic, new school, design snob) and it outputs the proper complaint...

• Like 19

7 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

OK, I have questions.  

With the first comment, are you suggesting that you believe the designers currently working at the major athletic suppliers didn't go to school?   

And with the second... are you saying that if they had been educated in a renaissance-style sweat shop, apprenticed to an old master in an indentured servant relationship for a decade or more, upon finally breaking away and establishing themselves they would be much more likely to commit to the exclusive use of traditional block numbering in all their designs?

I love this place.

I'm suggesting their execution is so poor it's hard to believe they have art degrees.

And with the second, I'm saying that if they became traditional master artisans they'd be better artists for it.

Your second question is pure head canon, but i'm glad it made you happy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Does Nike have excess Elite 51's in royal blue? It's the only way this makes sense.

When the Colts “new” uniforms debuted last year they still had the 51 template, I think someone asked the Colts and it’s a team preference. 

• Like 2

zyyMk1d.png

48 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

I'm suggesting their execution is so poor it's hard to believe they have art degrees.

And with the second, I'm saying that if they became traditional master artisans they'd be better artists for it.

Your second question is pure head canon, but i'm glad it made you happy.

Their execution isn’t the problem. The designs are made well, it’s the design choices that are bad, and the design choices are bad because they are trying too hard to be unique, and a lot of that comes from teams wanting just that. When teams want classic design choices you get the browns current uniform. When they don’t you get what what the browns had before.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, dont care said:

Their execution isn’t the problem. The designs are made well, it’s the design choices that are bad, and the design choices are bad because they are trying too hard to be unique, and a lot of that comes from teams wanting just that. When teams want classic design choices you get the browns current uniform. When they don’t you get what what the browns had before.

I'd consider incorporating bad design choices as poor execution, but I can understand your reasoning for a distinction. In essence we agree the designers are trying too hard to reinvent the wheel

On 7/20/2021 at 6:14 PM, grubstreet said:

Unfortunately I think it has less to do with trying to design a good look and more to do with a new prerequisite to have custom numbers.  I recall reading (probably here) that one of the main motivators for the introduction of unique number fonts is to curb counterfeiters from producing accurate knockoffs.  The Vikings nailed it with a clever tweak to a traditional look, fortified with an extra level of minutiae of doing it on the leading number. The Seahawks and Rams also have the extra layers in addition to the custom shape. I'm afraid that this is the way going forward. Bad structural design and superfluous details on top. It's going to get ugly.

Which is pointless because the people who buy knockoffs don't care about how accurate the details are. As long as it's "close enough" and most importantly, only $22 on some shady overseas website

• Like 4

21 hours ago, WideRight said:

The Colts throwbacks are fine, but I think what they need to do is find a way to return to shoulder hoops that actually connect under the armpit.  I hate the new version shoulder stripes that just stop at the chest.  We need some of these (with or without sleeves, make it happen!!!)

spacer.png

If Under Armour can figure it out with UCLA, I'm sure Nike can too. I think it's absurd after all these years and they haven't produced a uniform that can properly display looping shoulder stipes. 

• Like 2

XM4KeeA.png