NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

I'm going to echo what bbtv said. Purely from an aesthetic standpoint, the extra formality with the number system, socks etc gave an air of professionalism to the sport that was distinctive at 1st glance. That distinct aesthetic line between pro and amateur no longer exists.

It feels like this is an argument that, like the debate over Nike turning the NBA into a weekly fashion show, is becoming another one that breaks down along a generational divide.

I know I've said it before on here, but I'm a lot like @guest23 and @BBTV in finding comfort in the order and structure of number conventions in the NFL. I'm 44, and I remember when I first put on pads in junior high and how much pride I felt wearing a number that matched my position. I was a fullback and wore No. 44, much like John Riggins did in the NFL.  

You can argue that it's better this way, and if your favorite player was a linebacker that wore No. 12, then you could just wear that number no matter where you played. But to me, the beauty of that traditional numbering system isn't just about the aesthetics. It's in how the numbers were exclusive to certain groups. Your number helped explain who you were as a player — whether it be a running back or lineman or linebacker, etc.  It meant you were part of that group of players. There was something tribal about it, which is lost when the numbers no longer have meaning. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

There was something tribal about it, 

That's a great point too.  I used to work at the stadium so I'd always see the pre-game warmups when the guys were in their position groups, and all the TEs were 80s, all the OTs were 70s, the DLs were 90s, LBs were mostly 50s, etc.  It was like those were the identifying marks of their "club".  "Yo 55... get out of here - this is a 90s only club".

That has nothing to do with the game day aesthetic or the topic at hand, but it was a cool side-effect of the number rule that's lost. 

Football and baseball are the sports with the most order.  Basketball and hockey players are all over the court/ice, but football and baseball players are mostly in set formations.  Baseball players aren't really near each other, but football players are in some cases 6" apart from one another, and it was just cool to see the 50s behind the 90s.

I'll concede that also has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but the people that don't care need to also acknowledge that there's plenty of people that do.

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I'll concede that also has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but the people that don't care need to also acknowledge that there's plenty of people that do.

We also have another discussion that already covers it. 

• Like 9

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Last year when there were 8 uniform changes coming out it made Madden worth getting, add to the fact that there would be two new stadiums; Sofi Stadium and Allegiant Stadium. This year there are many uniform changes, but most of them are throwbacks being added to teams. The Bengals are the only team with a new overall uniform. The Jaguars made the switch from black to teal as the primary color. The Giants added white pants with red stripes to compliment the road jersey. 

Would it be better to wait for Madden 23? Washington will get a new name and the Rams will get their 4th uniform set. Those are the changes for when the 2022 season comes around, and other changes will probably come along the way. If I get Madden 22, I'll buy it when the price drops.

11 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

Last year when there were 8 uniform changes coming out it made Madden worth getting, add to the fact that there would be two new stadiums; Sofi Stadium and Allegiant Stadium. This year there are many uniform changes, but most of them are throwbacks being added to teams. The Bengals are the only team with a new overall uniform. The Jaguars made the switch from black to teal as the primary color. The Giants added white pants with red stripes to compliment the road jersey. 

Would it be better to wait for Madden 23? Washington will get a new name and the Rams will get their 4th uniform set. Those are the changes for when the 2022 season comes around, and other changes will probably come along the way. If I get Madden 22, I'll buy it when the price drops.

It’s always 50%+ off during Black Friday week.

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

The interesting thing about the Giants is that they've never really adopted uniform changes that were a drastic departure from prior eras. They didn't really go BFBS or, like the Niners, adopt dramatically different shades of their primary colors.  All they've done is vacillate between variations on two primary logos, played around with striping and tossed in gray as an occasional tertiary color.

What you're left with is a team that could easily mix and match those various elements, blending pieces from prior eras to create something new within the context of its design history. I'm not sure there are many teams that can do that. (And I'm not including the Bears/Packers/Raiders, et. al, which are essentially unchanged from earlier eras, minus small cosmetic tweaks.) 

In contrast, I think of the Jets. The white-helmeted Namath-era uniforms of the 60s and  2000s are so distinct form the kelly green '80s and current sets that you could mistake them for representing an entirely different franchise. 

They never really adopted uniform changes except when they adopted uniform changes…

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dont care said:

They never really adopted uniform changes except when they adopted uniform changes…

That's some selective trolling right there. 

What I wrote: 

The interesting thing about the Giants is that they've never really adopted uniform changes that were a drastic departure from prior eras. 

• Like 9

Until 2015, the giants had pretty much the perfect uniform. Since then, they've been slowly chipping away at it, with those dumb home white pants and the throwback/color rush uniforms, which look like garbage because of the all white socks. Now it looks like thry've flushed it completely, which is too bad.

The "LT" uniforms, the ones worn from the late 80'd thru the 90's are quite possibly the most generic, paint-by-the-numbers uniforms ever worn in the NFL. Everything is exactly what you'd expect if you were tuning to a movie of the week drama  about a fake NFL team.  I can only believe it's naked nostalgia for the big Tuna, Mark Bravaro, and Phil Simms that make anyone long for those off-the-rack snoozers.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, gothedistance said:

It would be better to wait for Madden to release a game that actually improves the gameplay and is not just a slightly reskinned version of the previous year

• Like 10

4 hours ago, gothedistance said:

I am holding out hope that the Cardinals, Broncos, and Lions make uniform changes along with Washington. 

• Like 3

spacer.png

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The "LT" uniforms, the ones worn from the late 80'd thru the 90's are quite possibly the most generic, paint-by-the-numbers uniforms ever worn in the NFL. Everything is exactly what you'd expect if you were tuning to a movie of the week drama  about a fake NFL team.  I can only believe it's naked nostalgia for the big Tuna, Mark Bravaro, and Phil Simms that make anyone long for those off-the-rack snoozers.

But weren't nearly all uniforms of that era the same?  The Eagles was simply a plain-green jersey with sleeve logo and numbers.  Many others were just generically-striped jerseys that could all be interchanged for one another.  That doesn't mean they were bad tho.

Same goes for the NHL of the '80s - most of the sweaters had the same generic rounded-yoke cut with the yoke being colored on the white version of the jersey.  Both NFL and NHL were paint-by-numbers for quite a while... but I don't think that either of those eras was necessarily bad.

• Like 9

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, gothedistance said:

I get Madden every year mostly because of changes like this, I just can't help it when it comes to that stuff. I mean I enjoy the games because I guess I'm simple but yeah.

• Like 5

bSLCtu2.png

This would be my ideal Giants set. It keeps the current home jersey with a smidge of red, restores the 80s stripe but keeps the red numbers/socks for the road like they’ve had for much of their history, and there’s a gray pants option too. The blue socks could also be worn with the white jersey. 

Most importantly, there’s continuity between the home and road uniforms. 

Giants

• Like 17

19 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

It feels like this is an argument that, like the debate over Nike turning the NBA into a weekly fashion show, is becoming another one that breaks down along a generational divide.

I know I've said it before on here, but I'm a lot like @guest23 and @BBTV in finding comfort in the order and structure of number conventions in the NFL. I'm 44, and I remember when I first put on pads in junior high and how much pride I felt wearing a number that matched my position. I was a fullback and wore No. 44, much like John Riggins did in the NFL.  

You can argue that it's better this way, and if your favorite player was a linebacker that wore No. 12, then you could just wear that number no matter where you played. But to me, the beauty of that traditional numbering system isn't just about the aesthetics. It's in how the numbers were exclusive to certain groups. Your number helped explain who you were as a player — whether it be a running back or lineman or linebacker, etc.  It meant you were part of that group of players. There was something tribal about it, which is lost when the numbers no longer have meaning. 

This is a pretty good summary of my feelings on the subject.  Certain numbers/number groups had a feel that went with them.  That is lost when (to use the first example I can think of) Patrick Queen is playing ILB and wearing No. 6.*

* -- It's still weird enough to me that he used to wear 48, but LBs in the 40s are just common enough now for it to be less jarring.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

22 hours ago, guest23 said:

I'm going to echo what bbtv said. Purely from an aesthetic standpoint, the extra formality with the number system, socks etc gave an air of professionalism to the sport that was distinctive at 1st glance. That distinct aesthetic line between pro and amateur no longer exists.

I don’t care much about the numbers, but I’m with you on the socks.   

• Like 4

16 hours ago, gothedistance said:

I'll probably buy it at the end of the year when it goes on sale since it's on PC and there are groups that use it to create the uniforms not in Madden and to make other leagues as well. The advantage of Madden 21 is that they have the yard which is 7v7 football and I'll probably get it to recreate some of my arena football leagues. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 hours ago, BBTV said:

But weren't nearly all uniforms of that era the same?  The Eagles was simply a plain-green jersey with sleeve logo and numbers.  Many others were just generically-striped jerseys that could all be interchanged for one another.  That doesn't mean they were bad tho.

That's a pretty fair point, I can't really argue with.  Maybe the reason I see it that way is that most of those other "generic"  style uniforms were changed for the worse in the early 2000s (Vikings, Falcons, Cardinals) and the Giants were changed for the better. 

The Giants' gray pants uniform is pretty much exactly what I would want in a uniform. It's quirky, unique, and still somehow absolutely classic in style. It hits all my sweet spots. I'm just annoyed to see it go.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That's a pretty fair point, I can't really argue with.  Maybe the reason I see it that way is that most of those other "generic"  style uniforms were changed for the worse in the early 2000s (Vikings, Falcons, Cardinals) and the Giants were changed for the better. 

I think another reason for the relative genericism of the '80s-early 2000s Giants uniforms was the color scheme...how much more basic can one get than simple blue and red? (Aside from just blue and white, I guess, like the Colts...)

28 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Giants' gray pants uniform is pretty much exactly what I would want in a uniform. It's quirky, unique, and still somehow absolutely classic in style. It hits all my sweet spots. I'm just annoyed to see it go.

I 100% agree on this point. If anything, the Giants should've just designated the white pants as a once-in-a-while change-of-pace alternate set (like how Florida State used to do with their very-rarely-seen white pants). But I suppose the perceived popularity of the pants from their color rush sets rendered all that moot.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||