NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

56 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Yeah - that link doesn't inspire confidence that it was real.

I'm suspicious as well, but on the designer's site he says the Eagles requested an update. But it's also filled with Nike-speak garbage, so who knows how honest his statement is.

Just look at this drivel:

The Philadelphia Eagles requested our help to update their brand by developing a new primary mark, logotype, and uniform design. It was an incredible opportunity to work on a team steeped in so much history and that has such an avid fan base. We first adjusted the primary mark by shifting the head of the Eagle in an attempt to create more of a connection between the viewer and the subject. We used its eyes, said to be a window to the soul, to highlight the club’s intensity and drive. We then simplified the logotype and picked up some of the personality of the primary mark in order to bring the two together more closely. The wing on the helmet stayed true to what an Eagles wing has looked like, so that there is no mistaking it for any other bird. The uniform design was simplified while bringing in the toughness of the heather pattern, inspired by the team’s hardworking, blue-collar fans. Befitting the spirit of the City of Brother Love, it was an All Business and No BS approach.

Gross.

• Like 5

spacer.png

6 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

8 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

spacer.png

This is very interesting to me. I normally don’t buy into things like this, but I can’t help but feel like this one’s legit. If you look at the designer’s site that article links to, the quality of those mockups look too nice for it to be fake to me. If it is fake, it’s an extremely nice Photoshop job.

As for the actual uniform itself, I don’t mind it! I love the elevation of midnight green & silver to the primary colors,  with a bit of kelly green included, too. The number font isn’t bad (looks almost identical to Georgia’s), and I would rather just keep the current helmet wings as opposed to those more “realistic” ones. I’m also not huge on the transition towards kelly green on the pants and the kelly green socks.

I think this is probably a rough draft mockup that the Eagles were presented, and decided not to pursue further. All things considered, I probably wish they did pursue it further, to be honest.

32 minutes ago, burgundy said:

I'm suspicious as well, but on the designer's site he says the Eagles requested an update. But it's also filled with Nike-speak garbage, so who knows how honest his statement is.

Wouldn’t Nike-speak like that make it more likely that it’s legit? ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MJD7 said:

This is very interesting to me. I normally don’t buy into things like this, but I can’t help but feel like this one’s legit. If you look at the designer’s site that article links to, the quality of those mockups look too nice for it to be fake to me. If it is fake, it’s an extremely nice Photoshop job.

ALL it is is a Photoshop. It looks like a creation in a more modern format than what was typical of the time. The Nikespeak, website, presentation all look good, but I don't buy that this was a real consideration by the Eagles.

Maybe some of the pros here could comment on whether they would be allowed to share a work product like this after the fact.

• Like 5

It's where I sit.

23 hours ago, BBTV said:

As helmet shapes continue to evolve due to the safety enhancements, and more vent holes get added everywhere, I wonder how sustainable the Eagles, Rams, and Vikings designs are.  We're seeing that even "normal" decals are starting to be problematic, but the ones like those teams could be particularly awkward on modern helmets.

Perhaps those teams could take a Bengals'-esque approach and paint them on?  I'm sure that'd be pretty labor-intensive, but that'd be one solution, at least...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

16 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

ALL it is is a Photoshop. It looks like a creation in a more modern format than what was typical of the time. The Nikespeak, website, presentation all look good, but I don't buy that this was a real consideration by the Eagles.

Maybe some of the pros here could comment on whether they would be allowed to share a work product like this after the fact.

It does, however, seem to track with the trend at the time of Nike putting team wordmarks in unusual places.  2012 was the start of the Nike/NFL contract and the year of the Seahawks redesign, which also featured the wordmark forced onto the left shoulder. The since-replaced Browns redesign carried on with that trend, with the wordmark along the pants. 

Not saying that is evidence of this being more or less legit, of course. Just noting the pattern. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, tBBP said:

Perhaps those teams could take a Bengals'-esque approach and paint them on?  I'm sure that'd be pretty labor-intensive, but that'd be one solution, at least...

I don't think that is a solution, because all the ridges and bump outs, combined with the vent holes would warp the wings/horns in all but the perfect straight-on view.

I think in 10-20 years we might not even have helmet logos because the helmets could be shaped completely differently than they are now, rendering logos impractical.  The other option would be to go back to the old VSR4 and let their brains get turned to mush, but at least the logos look good, so maybe it's a push?

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

48 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I don't think that is a solution, because all the ridges and bump outs, combined with the vent holes would warp the wings/horns in all but the perfect straight-on view.

I think in 10-20 years we might not even have helmet logos because the helmets could be shaped completely differently than they are now, rendering logos impractical.  The other option would be to go back to the old VSR4 and let their brains get turned to mush, but at least the logos look good, so maybe it's a push?

Or, more likely, some inventive helmet manufacturers or sporting goods brand will see the challenge and come up with an answer.  Most innovations are borne from a problem in need of a solution. Call me an optimist.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

Most innovations are borne from a problem in need of a solution. Call me an optimist.

When it comes to sports, lately it seems that most 'innovations' are borne from a problem of product differentiation or brand promotion, not legitimate performance related issues.  I have no doubt that some of the changes in shapes and addition of vents are directly related to safety improvements, we already know that in some cases manufacturers add vents and other gimmicks to helmets as a form of branding in lieu of having their actual logo plastered on them.  The Rawlings batting helmets are exhibit A.

I'm no design engineer, but I'd wager it's possible to create a safe helmet that's also logo friendly - if the manufacturers wanted to.  Unfortunately, wacky futuristic designs serve to provide brand recognition - you can tell almost instantly if a guy is wearing a Vicus, Riddell,  Schutt, etc. even if their logo isn't on the bumper.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 minutes ago, dont care said:

Is it just my tv or do the cowboys pants look near powder blue now rather than the silver green they use to?

Noticed that last Monday too.  Wasn't sure if it was my TV, or if maybe they changed to the Nike fabric and it now reflects differently.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Is it just my tv or do the cowboys pants look near powder blue now rather than the silver green they use to?

50 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Noticed that last Monday too.  Wasn't sure if it was my TV, or if maybe they changed to the Nike fabric and it now reflects differently.

They changed it last season. More powder blue than seafoam green.

https://uni-watch.com/2020/09/22/cowboys-confirm-two-different-patches-new-pants-color/

2019: Dallas Cowboys 2019 Roster Projection: Final Edition ✭

2020: Dallas Cowboys: 3 roster issues and the level of concern - Page 2

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Moseph said:

What a terrible uniform set that is. Maybe one day they'll pair the white jerseys with silver pants and finally decide on one shade of blue.

Regular Navy Blue jersey, White Color Rush jersey, one pair of silver pants, maybe the white pants, and navy blue socks. Boom. Done. Solid set that only allows for one shade of blue.

The cowboys' white color rush jersey sucks.  And navy is a dull choice for them. 

I will continue to advocate for dark royal and metallic blue-silver... the color scheme they wore in the 70's when that uniform was designed, when they actually became the f'n Cowboys, before their sacks shriveled up and they decided their actual blue jerseys were "cursed".  Losers.

• Like 13

18 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

They changed it last season. More powder blue than seafoam green.

https://uni-watch.com/2020/09/22/cowboys-confirm-two-different-patches-new-pants-color/

2019: Dallas Cowboys 2019 Roster Projection: Final Edition ✭

2020: Dallas Cowboys: 3 roster issues and the level of concern - Page 2

I simply can't understand how the most valuable pro sports franchise in the world is okay with looking like a low-budget Pop Warner team that can't afford matching equipment. Even the "tradition" argument doesn't work anymore since there's an entire generation of fans who weren't born yet the last time the Cowboys won anything.

• Like 15

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Whatever the Cowboys do I'd like to see them actually wear their navy jerseys. They're so much better than the whites its a shame they're never seen due to a really dumb superstition. I can understand opting for white in the playoffs due to a tradition (though I still think its silly) but once you opt to exclusively wear one uniform as much as possible, you're throwing out whatever jinx you may believe exists because now all your losses are in the uniform you believe to be good luck.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

I simply can't understand how the most valuable pro sports franchise in the world is okay with looking like a low-budget Pop Warner team that can't afford matching equipment. Even the "tradition" argument doesn't work anymore since there's an entire generation of fans who weren't born yet the last time the Cowboys won anything.

Speaking of which...1996 was when the switched the blue jersey to what it is today.  it's somewhat ironic that they haven't won anything since the change.

• Like 1