NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

No confirmation on that, yet. And if that decision had been made early enough that teams would already be making design decisions over it, I'd think we'd have heard by now.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen.

I agree. As much as I'd like to see the Falcons' red helmets and Bucs' creamsicles, the one-helmet rule is essential to maintaining brand identity in this ever-turbulent uniform world. It does more good than harm.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

fiowXOD.png

On 1/29/2021 at 8:26 PM, DNAsports said:

So for the Browns, one could reasonably assume that we’ll just get these throwbacks, but on the Nike template 

spacer.png

Casual fans wouldn’t know the difference. “They only changed the helmets”

7 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Maybe the NHL should unretire #99 since it's the highest jersey number and just rubs in that Gretzky scored the highest number of points ever. So no one's feelings get hurt.

You sure you’re in the right thread, buddy?

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

4 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

I agree. As much as I'd like to see the Falcons' red helmets and Bucs' creamsicles, the one-helmet rule is essential to maintaining brand identity in this ever-turbulent uniform world. It does more good than harm.

What's the difference between having more than one helmet color and more than one jersey color?

• Yawn 1

20 minutes ago, colortv said:

What's the difference between having more than one helmet color and more than one jersey color?

Take a look at the NBA, and tell me what you see. In the NFL, you can tell what teams are playing within 5 seconds...with the NBA it takes 5 minutes...all because Adam Silver gave Nike a little to much leeway. You better be grateful that Roger Goodell runs the No Fun League

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

14 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Take a look at the NBA, and tell me what you see. In the NFL, you can tell what teams are playing within 5 seconds...with the NBA it takes 5 minutes...all because Adam Silver gave Nike a little to much leeway. You better be grateful that Roger Goodell runs the No Fun League

Agreed. I don't trust Nike with multiple helmets.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Helmets are basically logos.  Other than for throwbacks, there should not be alternate helmets.  It already looks like high school or college with the extra-long slob shirts that the idiots wear and the biker shorts and non-matching socks.

• Like 14

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm not saying multiple helmets, I'm saying I don't see the difference between a team having jerseys in their two primary colors and having helmets in their two primary colors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Both of these, College is crazy, NBA is crazy. Just give me the Normal Helmet and a Throwback.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colortv said:

I'm not saying multiple helmets, I'm saying I don't see the difference between a team having jerseys in their two primary colors and having helmets in their two primary colors.

Jerseys are never used as standalone graphics in newspapers, on websites, and as part of television coverage.   Helmets are.

Which means there's a pretty significant difference.

I mean, this is a pretty standard image in football; the helmet face-off.  You don't see this with baseball caps, or basketball shorts, or hockey sweaters, or even football jerseys.  Only helmets.

super-bowl-2020.jpg

• Like 15
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Jerseys are never used as standalone graphics in newspapers, on websites, and as part of television coverage.   Helmets are.

Which means there's a pretty significant difference.

I mean, this is a pretty standard image in football; the helmet face-off.  You don't see this with baseball caps, or basketball shorts, or hockey sweaters, or even football jerseys.  Only helmets.

super-bowl-2020.jpg

Sure, helmets are an iconic signature of football, no ones disputing that.

What I'm saying is, I don't see how a team using it's primary colors dilutes the brand...the primary colors are by definition the brand.

• Yawn 1

5 minutes ago, colortv said:

What I'm saying is, I don't see how a team using it's primary colors dilutes the brand...the primary colors are by definition the brand.

But that’s exactly it. Helmets are the iconic signature of an NFL team. You should(and can, at least right now) be able to look only at a helmet and identify the team. Period. That’s why helmets are used often as standalone symbols—because they are the primary identifier of said team. Changing the helmet dilutes the brand, so if the Chiefs run out with yellow helmets, it takes a second to process which team it is, because yellow helmets are the Packers’ signature. The consistency and clarity is what makes a helmet a helmet.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, colortv said:

But they often aren’t the visual identifier like helmets are.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, debo0775 said:

But they often aren’t the visual identifier like helmets are.

Elaborating, there are a handful of teams that I think can lay claim to their colors being their visual ID:

Baltimore

Miami

Jacksonville

Tampa Bay

Minnesota

Seattle

Green Bay

NYJ

SF

Those teams are unmistakably identified by their colors. Maybe another couple of teams could be added. Beyond that, there‘s mostly a muddled mess of Blue/White, Blue/Silver, Blue/Red, Red/White teams (not to mention Chicago and Denver with remarkably similar colors).

The NFL is also defined largely by its brand rather than its players (save the superstars). Removing the helmet as the visual identifier for a club would dramatically alter how we consume the NFL in viewership and in public persona.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, debo0775 said:

Elaborating, there are a handful of teams that I think can lay claim to their colors being their visual ID:

Baltimore

Miami

Jacksonville

Tampa Bay

Minnesota

Seattle

Green Bay

NYJ

SF

Those teams are unmistakably identified by their colors. Maybe another couple of teams could be added. Beyond that, there‘s mostly a muddled mess of Blue/White, Blue/Silver, Blue/Red, Red/White teams (not to mention Chicago and Denver with remarkably similar colors).

The NFL is also defined largely by its brand rather than its players (save the superstars). Removing the helmet as the visual identifier for a club would dramatically alter how we consume the NFL in viewership and in public persona.

I would add:

Pittsburgh

LA Rams(Blue/Yellow)

Raiders

Browns/Bengals

Philadelphia

Washington

New Orleans

• Like 2

Just now, colortv said:

I would add:

Pittsburgh

LA Rams(Blue/Yellow)

Raiders

Browns/Bengals

Philadelphia

Washington

New Orleans

Pittsburgh and LV is a miss on my part. I guess NO, too.

LAR - No. Recent color swap and similarity to Chargers over the past 2 decades.

Bengals - maybe.

Browns - nope. Their colors and name are in conflict. Casual fans wouldn’t ID them.

Philly - good point - take NYJ off of my list.

Washington - too similar to KC and AZ

The call out on the Browns - “casual fans wouldn’t ID them” - is the barometer I think. The helmet is definitive. The colors are not in the case of most (which is probably an argument for crappy color chimes, but that’s another argument...)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Late fifties? 

I believe Lombardi was on Paul Brown’s staff when the team switched to orange helmets, which in turn inspired him to put the Packers in yellow helmets. 

EDIT: Lombardi was never with the Browns. I’m pretty sure their look inspired Green Bay’s, though. 

The story I always recalled was that Paul Brown was Vince Lombardi's idol and did indeed base the Packers uniforms on the Browns. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, colortv said:

Two examples I think that show how a more than 1 helmet rule would work:

Falcons - black/red

Bills - red/current white

Would anyone think that's a problem? I think both teams are just as identifiable with either helmet.

Yes it would be a problem because then you’d have teams like the Rams coming out with black helmets because “LA Nights” or some crap. You are just opening yourself up to teams and Nike doing stupid things.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Yes it would be a problem because then you’d have teams like the Rams coming out with black helmets because “LA Nights” or some crap. You are just opening yourself up to teams and Nike doing stupid things.

It’s only a problem if the NFL lacks guidelines. Primary and secondary colors only. Black is not a team color for the Rams at all so its eliminated as a possibility. That’s how you do it. Make it as simple as possible, only color swaps, no logo alterations, etc.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

bSLCtu2.png