NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

1 hour ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

I never realized how bad the previous bolt was until this came out.

I think the previous primary bolt logo might have been adopted off a merch specific interpretation of the helmet bolt. For quite some time I only remember seeing that bolt forced into an arc on hats and car stickers (which may explain the horrible curvature) but somehow kept creeping into other applications. The new one is much more representative of the helmet bolt being presented as a primary logo.

• Like 3

On 10/19/2021 at 8:09 PM, ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ said:

The first logo DID do one thing better: A proper attempt at representation of jaguar rosettes (spots). The current one looks more leopard-like — dare I say even cheetah-esque, due to the solid dots, albeit in larger form — than jaguar.

Jaguars typically have singular spots on the head and front quarters. The rosettes generally start forming around the shoulder area and continue down the midsection/back.

• Like 4

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

7 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

Ja'Whaun Bentley for the Pats has been wearing black leggings as his socks recently. Never seen a guy wear a non-team color before. They've really abandoned enforcing any kind of sock rules.

Jawhaun Bentley Stock Photos, Editorial Images and Stock Pictures |  Shutterstock

Also all undershirts are suppose to be the same color for the team so while i like the look of Mathew judons red sleeve and wish the rest of the team followed suit. He should be getting fined based on the rules.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2021 at 1:49 PM, Sport said:

If you think it's 10x better then I'm not sure I can explain why one is good and the other isn't because that comes down to personal taste, but I'll try.

I don't want my sports logos to be photo-real depictions of the thing they represent because at that point you might as well just use a photograph of the animal as your logo. This is the emblem for your team, not just a depiction of the animal you're named after. I want the logo to be a logo because these aren't literally jaguars, they're a football franchise named the Jaguars. That's an important distinction. I want it to convey the subject in a sharp way while also being the instant identifier for that team. One of these accomplishes that, the other is an overly-detailed illustration reminiscent of the cheap images found on stock websites. One is a bespoke sports logo befitting a franchise in the National Football League, the other would look at home on the wall of a high school gymnasium. 

Fundamentally speaking the old logo is stronger, literally. Uses heavier, consistent line weights throughout, conveys motion, and manages to cast it all with a not so serious tone, which gives it a charm and character that the new one lacks. The new logo uses lines too thin, colors too many, and is just too literal for my liking. Is the new one mechanically better? Yes, but I don't always want mechanically better. Same reason I'd rather listen to a human play a guitar solo than listen to the same guitar solo played through Garage Band. When you get too technical and literal you lose some soul. Does that make sense? I want a logo a kid could effectively draw on his notebook, a logo that could be easily embroidered on a hat without losing too much detail. The current logo on the other hand is so detailed you need to be a studied artist to replicate it. 

This is a well constructed argument that makes a lot of great points even though I still disagree personally.

Being overly detailed is not necessary/can be a detriment for sports logos. And if someone sees character in the original Jags logo, that's a matter of individual taste. But I still prefer the new logo. The Cheeto puff spots didn't work for me and when I actually look at the original, the face makes me think of the Waterboy's Dad (Roberto). The new mark feels more professional, but you're right that it violates some commonly accepted design rules.

Vyvuhga.png

The Lions are a team that strikes the balance really well. They updated their outline to be more accurate & slightly more detailed, but it's still enough of an emblem, as opposed to a photo-realistic portrayal, to feel right for a sports team. Doubt the Jags will ever handle their identity that well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

Ja'Whaun Bentley for the Pats has been wearing black leggings as his socks recently. Never seen a guy wear a non-team color before. They've really abandoned enforcing any kind of sock rules.

Jawhaun Bentley Stock Photos, Editorial Images and Stock Pictures |  Shutterstock

#36 for the 9ers was wearing black sleeves, socks, and cleats last night. While black is a trim color with the throwback alt, I think that's the most egregious deviation from the standard uniform rules that I've seen in quite some time.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2021 at 10:27 AM, EddieJ1984 said:

The Rams horn is hard to screw up but they went ahead and still did!

The segment would be fine if they had used a two tone (or finish) detail like they use on the numbers and shoulders. Make the horn matte and the outline glossy. Essentially filling the blue gap with a "darker" gold.

12 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Other than Washington and possibly Detroit (if the rumors are true), are there any other teams making uniform changes for next season?

Given that article was from March 2021, and there's a 2-year lead time, there's no way they can make any changes for next year besides adding only an alternate helmet.

Also... 

“I haven’t really gone into the design phase yet, but that’s certainly something that, once the window is up, we’ll probably take a step back and look at the current roster that we have, any changes we want to make, do we continue with the color rush, etcetera,” Wood said on Wednesday. “It’s on my mind, but nothing official.”

Look at the current roster?  What the hell does the "current roster" have to do with any uniform changes, unless you draft the next franchise QB and want to time a rebrand with that (in which case, you'd have to be clairvoyant and predict that a year or so out.)

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Given that article was from March 2021, and there's a 2-year lead time, there's no way they can make any changes for next year besides adding only an alternate helmet.

Agreed, we're looking at 2023 at minimum for any Detroit changes.

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

Agreed, we're looking at 2023 at minimum for any Detroit changes.

If all Detroit did was remove the “WCF” patch and maybe had a number font change, would they still need to wait an extra year? It’s not a total uniform overhaul. Just some minor fixes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

If all Detroit did was remove the “WCF” patch and maybe had a number font change, would they still need to wait an extra year? It’s not a total uniform overhaul. Just some minor fixes.

You assume that the Lions ownership thinks thats all they need.  While I agree, they dont need much of a change, that decision isnt mine.

• Like 4

Detroit's current uniforms aren't bad by any means (well except for the gray ones--those are just 💩), but if they were to tweak them up some, here's what I'd do:

- 86 the half-italic numbers. I don't know who thought those were a good idea, but they've annoyed the mess out of me since since start of this uniform cycle.  (I personally wouldn't mind a return to those teardrop numbers they used to have or something similar--single-outlined, of course.)

- reduce the width of those stripes back to something more normal. Those are a relic of Nike's at-the-time-forward-thinking innovation of oversizing certain uniform elements in the name of making things "modern".  <_< (That same ideology is what got us the last CLEVELAND BROWNS uniform set that thankfully got canned.)

The rest--well, short of the WCF thing--is good as is.

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Probably - especially the numbers.  It would instantly render all retail stock outdated, and require Nike to make whatever changes are needed to print / sew the new numbers and I assume it's not as simple as simply changing the font like you do when you're typing here.

Removing a patch might not be that big a deal - we see special patches come/go all the time - but since this one is an actual design element of the uniform that's produced as part of the jersey and not a separate patch that the team seamstress sews on for a special anniversary or memorial, it probably counts.

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Other than Washington and possibly Detroit (if the rumors are true), are there any other teams making uniform changes for next season?

I have nothing to back this up other than a Kyler Murray tweet from 2020 but I hope the Cardinals get an update next year.  The 2000s era unis seem to have phased out except for the team in the desert. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, tBBP said:

The rest--well, short of the WCF thing--is good as is.

The LIONS wordmark on the other sleeve is ass too.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

How little does an FO have to care to keep these atrocities for so long? No team treats their uniforms as more of an afterthought than Arizona

It's a hokey organization that relies on gimmicks - be it their uniforms, their ugly-ass stadium, the dumb sirens they play, the cheerleader PA announcer - to get any attention, and even then, their stadium is typically filled with visiting fans.   Joke uniform, and joke franchise.

• Like 10