NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

4 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

The alternative helmet can only be worn with the alternative jersey 3x in the regular season. Problem solved. 

Yeah, problem solved, until some team decides they want to do it differently and then just goes ahead and does it. Which has happened in the past with alternative rules. Once the options are out there, if enough teams decide they want to rework the rules, the league isn't going to fight about it. These things aren't quite as important to them as they are to most of us.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, debo0775 said:

Elaborating, there are a handful of teams that I think can lay claim to their colors being their visual ID:

Baltimore

Miami

Jacksonville

Tampa Bay

Minnesota

Seattle

Green Bay

NYJ

SF

Those teams are unmistakably identified by their colors. Maybe another couple of teams could be added. Beyond that, there‘s mostly a muddled mess of Blue/White, Blue/Silver, Blue/Red, Red/White teams (not to mention Chicago and Denver with remarkably similar colors).

The NFL is also defined largely by its brand rather than its players (save the superstars). Removing the helmet as the visual identifier for a club would dramatically alter how we consume the NFL in viewership and in public persona.

Jags can’t even make up their mind how much each color matters to them. 

Raiders are silver and black and instantly recognizable as such. You could take out all logos and words and it would be incredibly obvious still. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, pepis21 said:

I wonder why Packers didn't do the same faux leather helmet as WTF which was amazing looking and I would love to see it again on field.

I'm guessing it's because the Packers throwback was designed during the Reebok era.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, pepis21 said:

Except it was introduce one year before WTF and reebok didn't manufacture helmets.

It was a Nike design and they did have a partnership with HGI at the time who did WTF’s helmets. From what I heard the packers were going to go to the Leather helmet wrap but the 1 helmet rule was put in place so they just stripped the decals off their regular helmets.

30 minutes ago, dont care said:

It was a Nike design and they did have a partnership with HGI at the time who did WTF’s helmets. From what I heard the packers were going to go to the Leather helmet wrap but the 1 helmet rule was put in place so they just stripped the decals off their regular helmets.

if they were going to do a wrap then the one-helmet rule shouldn't have mattered.  I imagine the wraps are no longer allowed, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a safety thing, like maybe the friction is different and helmets don't slide off each other when one or both are wrapped.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

59 minutes ago, BBTV said:

if they were going to do a wrap then the one-helmet rule shouldn't have mattered.  I imagine the wraps are no longer allowed, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a safety thing, like maybe the friction is different and helmets don't slide off each other when one or both are wrapped.

It’s not a wrap like a decal, it’s hydro dipped which is another version of getting graphics on stuff like Oregon’s carbon fiber helmets.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Honestly, I think it's probably more of a cost-value judgment. Helmet wrapping isn't exactly the fastest process in the world, and for a full NFL team of 52+ players that would be a pretty short window to apply and then remove the wraps between games. I can't imagine teams want their equipment staffs dealing with that midweek, and it's likely not viable to send them off-facility and have them returned quickly enough for players who have to wear them in practice.

With a two helmet rule teams could just have that done before the season and the weeks leading up to the game for every player.

• Like 2

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

17 minutes ago, dont care said:

It’s not a wrap like a decal, it’s hydro dipped which is another version of getting graphics on stuff like Oregon’s carbon fiber helmets.

Didn't realize that.  Wrapping is a thing though, right?  Even if not in this case.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Didn't realize that.  Wrapping is a thing though, right?  Even if not in this case.

Yeah, vinyl wrapping isn't at all uncommon for things like cars and motorcycle helmets. In theory it could also be used for a football helmet, but the process is slow, requiring removal of all decals, a lot of cleaning to make sure no dirt is under the vinyl (that stuff becomes extremely obvious when wrapped), then heat, and a good amount of time to apply. As I noted above, this process just likely isn't worth it for teams when you can approximate with a team color helmet and it'll look fine.

• Like 2

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 1/31/2021 at 1:58 AM, Old School Fool said:

In my opinion if you don’t want the one helmet rule to change then you can’t have throwbacks ever again either. Pick one. Either the throwbacks are accurate or you don’t get to do it.

I would love to see a Seahawks Faux-back. Current colors, but stylized for the 80's and 90's uniform.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BBTV said:

You could wrap A helmet, but the process is long, unless you an assembly line of guys doing multiple helmets at once to do a full team including spare helmets it will take a few day which a team can’t exactly do with practices during the week. You could use platidip but that looks like trash 9/10 times. There is also the issue of durability. Plastidip will peal right off, and vinyl wraps might be better but not by much. At the end of the day the process is too long, not cost effective, and/or not durable to last a game and practices.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2021 at 1:39 PM, shstpt1 said:

And... We are in a world where some teams have 2 alternates now, and it used to be limited to just one alternate. Just saying... things change, and I could see a team like Baltimore or Houston that have only had one helmet color in their history, say that if Tampa can have a second helmet for their throwbacks, we should be able to have one for our "Battle Red" or Purple Color Rush uniform. Just a thought... 

This is a great argument against changing the one-helmet rule.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, dont care said:

The Packers' first throwbacks predated the 1-helmet rule.

But for what it's worth, I heard that a leather wrap was proposed in 2009 but the Packers didn't like the look it so they decided to use a simple brown shell instead.  I don't know if the proposed wrap was the same one Washington later used or not.

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

This is a great argument against changing the one-helmet rule.

Is it though? That whole argument is essentially slippery-slope stuff that may or may not happen. 

The easy counter is "Ok you can have one alternate helmet and one throwback helmet. If you don't have a throwback jersey, then you're limited to one alternate helmet." 

We've seen in every league that just because teams wear throwbacks doesn't mean that every other team gets another alternate. . 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

39 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Is it though? That whole argument is essentially slippery-slope stuff that may or may not happen. 

The easy counter is "Ok you can have one alternate helmet and one throwback helmet. If you don't have a throwback jersey, then you're limited to one alternate helmet." 

We've seen in every league that just because teams wear throwbacks doesn't mean that every other team gets another alternate. . 

But the slippery slope is exactly what we have gotten, the NFL keeps changing rules to increase profits and make teams happy. It use to be 1 alternate or one throwback uniform, you could only wear them 3 times during the season and couldn’t wear them after a certain week (I forget it’s been awhile) now each team can have an alt, throwback, and color rush uniform all at the same time, and wear each of them up to 4 times if they want. I’m surprised a team like the Jaguars hasn’t done this yet and literally not wear a single jersey more than 4 times in a year. The same thing will happen with helmets because we have seen it happen with jerseys.

• Like 4