NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

Carolina's inaugural unis were perfect. The original logo > the updated version. 

My only complaint is the existence of white pants. They need to wear silver with all three jerseys. 

Honestly? I find the calls for the Panthers to radically alter their look kind of frustrating. They've kept essentially the same identity since the 1990s, and it's a solid one.

Here we have a modern uniform that manages to look good and not seem overdone, and it's only been ever so slightly tweaked since 1995. That should be the standard- a new team gets their look right on the first go and doesn't muck it up. Their expansion cousins in Jacksonville are perfect examples of what happens when you muck it up. 

The Panthers, though, are the gold standard of a new team establishing a bold new look, and making it their own through commitment to it. It's such a rarity in the Big Four that I want to see their identity stick around as long as possible. 

• Like 22
  • Applause 1

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The Jaguars wear teal. What color do the Panthers wear (in addition to black and silver)?

People are saying both electric and Carolina blue, both of which are wrong. The official shade is "Panthers blue", or PMS Process Blue.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

Carolina's inaugural unis were perfect. The original logo > the updated version. 

My only complaint is the existence of white pants. They need to wear silver with all three jerseys. 

Honestly? I find the calls for the Panthers to radically alter their look kind of frustrating. They've kept essentially the same identity since the 1990s, and it's a solid one.

Here we have a modern uniform that manages to look good and not seem overdone, and it's only been ever so slightly tweaked since 1995. That should be the standard- a new team gets their look right on the first go and doesn't muck it up. Their expansion cousins in Jacksonville are perfect examples of what happens when you muck it up. 

The Panthers, though, are the gold standard of a new team establishing a bold new look, and making it their own through commitment to it. It's such a rarity in the Big Four that I want to see their identity stick around as long as possible. 

Expansion teams starting with a great uniform then changing it over and over again is such a sad thing to see, and it happens constantly. Never understood it

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

Carolina blue, which is considerably different than teal. 

Yes, very much so different. I know they call it " panthers blue" now but I remember it being called "process blue" at some point. I wouldn't say its Carolina either its not the same shade as UNC blue, its richer and darker. 

• Like 2

#DTWD #GoJaguars

6 minutes ago, Claystation360 said:

Yes, very much so different. I know they call it " panthers blue" now but I remember it being called "process blue" at some point. I wouldn't say its Carolina either its not the same shade as UNC blue, its richer and darker. 

5 minutes ago, Claystation360 said:

I thought so. 

Yeah, in fact, the reason they went with that shade is it was between Carolina blue and Duke's royal blue. So it's purposefully not Carolina blue.

• Like 4

I have always liked the Panthers having the black jersey/silver pants combo and the white on white combo as their only combos ever. I didn't mind so much when the blue jersey came around since it was only worn a couple times a year. But once Richardson was kicked out then the mix and matching over everything really killed this team's identity uniqueness IMO. It was cool that an expansion team made little to not changes for so long and then all this happened in terms of combos. Now we got three jerseys and four pants in the rotation. 

• Like 5

Go A's!

1 hour ago, QCS said:

People are saying both electric and Carolina blue, both of which are wrong. The official shade is "Panthers blue", or PMS Process Blue.

It’s actually PMS Process Blue C, whereas the Jaguars are PMS 3155 C, but we call that teal, right? 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Expansion teams starting with a great uniform then changing it over and over again is such a sad thing to see, and it happens constantly. Never understood it

Yep. The Wild, Texans, Jags, and Panthers all had great uniforms on day one, and only the Panthers have had the wherewithal to keep from messing with it. The Texans are the next closest, but they ruined their road look when they stopped pairing red socks with the blue pants. 

The Panthers are an expansion team that made their modern uniforms their rock-solid identity. It's the closest a modern expansion team's identity has gotten to being "established"* and people want to futz with it. No thanks. The Panthers can look like they look now forever. I don't need them jumping on the five year uni rotation.  

*the Oklahoma City Thunder are a new team that's made their inaugural look an "established" look, but it's awful. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

I have always liked the Panthers having the black jersey/silver pants combo and the white on white combo as their only combos ever. I didn't mind so much when the blue jersey came around since it was only worn a couple times a year. But once Richardson was kicked out then the mix and matching over everything really killed this team's identity uniqueness IMO. It was cool that an expansion team made little to not changes for so long and then all this happened in terms of combos. Now we got three jerseys and four pants in the rotation. 

I wouldn't mind the silver if it wasn't so matte and dull, but if Nike refuses to make shiny pants then the "silver" pants won't look good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

Yep. The Wild, Texans, Jags, and Panthers all had great uniforms on day one, and only the Panthers have had the wherewithal to keep from messing with it. The Texans are the next closest, but they ruined their road look when they stopped pairing red socks with the blue pants. 

The Panthers are an expansion team that made their modern uniforms their rock-solid identity. It's the closest a modern expansion team's identity has gotten to being "established"* and people want to futz with it. No thanks. The Panthers can look like they look now forever. I don't need them jumping on the five year uni rotation.  

*the Oklahoma City Thunder are a new team that's made their inaugural look an "established" look, but it's awful. 

The Diamondbacks are an unfortunate victim of the trend too. Hell they won a championship in their original look and still felt the need to change everything

• Like 7

9 hours ago, IceCap said:

I actually much prefer the new logo. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I became a fan at the exact time that they switched. So that's just always how they've looked to me, and the old one looks outdated. But I think it has the exact right amount of detail in it, while the old one has just a bit too little. As far as the uniforms go, I think the jerseys are absolutely perfect. Like others, I don't love the silver pants / helmet but I haven't liked their other combinations lately either. The black pants make both combinations look unbalanced with such a light helmet. I think a blue helmet with the old blue color rush pants on both the home and road (and white pants with the blue alternate) with untouched jerseys would be their perfect look. But it'll never happen, so I'm fine with black/silver at home and white/white on the road.

• Like 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

5 hours ago, QCS said:

Thanks.

I wasn't trying to say the Jags and Panthers use the same color; they clearly don't.

I was just thinking that if you ask a layman what color the Panthers are, I feel like the default would be teal. Especially in the vain of a mid-90s color option.

And, for that matter, if pressed I would probably say "light blue," which feels unsatisfying.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I would say light blue, too. They don't lean green enough to be teal. Yet the Hornets don't, either, at least in my mind's eye, and I wouldn't hesitate to call them teal. Tertiary colors are tricky like that.

I'd call the Fins teal no matter how much I get yelled at for not saying "aqua." 

• Like 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫