NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

7 hours ago, dont care said:

What are you going off about? How are using seamless, form fitting, moisture wicking, lighter, stronger fabrics cheap and cost cutting? 

I think these outfitters are using adjective word salads in order to sell fans a bill of goods while they're saving money on mass produced jersey's. In comparison to what they used to sell fans, these new uniforms look cheap in design and in execution. This isn't even exclusive to the NFL. MLB and NBA have done the same thing (much less experience with NHL). I've got a closet full of what those leagues used to offer. There used to exist a quality of craftsmanship that you don't find today.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

I think these outfitters are using adjective word salads in order to sell fans a bill of goods while they're saving money on mass produced jersey's. In comparison to what they used to sell fans, these new uniforms look cheap in design and in execution. This isn't even exclusive to the NFL. MLB and NBA have done the same thing (much less experience with NHL). I've got a closet full of what those leagues used to offer. There used to exist a quality of craftsmanship that you don't find today.

This is a fair way to look at it. I'm not an expert on textiles or apparel construction, but if there are two givens with publicly traded sportswear brands like Nike and Adidas, it's that they answer to shareholders and they are masters at product marketing. That means it's within their core priorities and skill sets to both make things cheaper (therefore higher profit margins) and sell them by using language that helps to obscure that fact.

But I'm also not an athlete, and I'm willing to believe that it's possible the evolution of uniforms has led to a better-performing product for the people wearing them.

Perhaps somewhere in the middle of those two schools of thought lies the truth. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dont care said:

They’re all the same version, just different cuts that they couldn’t/wouldn’t make the stripes the same across the cuts and templates.

Yeah I know, I thought it was obvious that I meant that I liked the first template/cut. Just a little misunderstanding, I know they're all the same jersey, on paper

• Like 1

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

these new uniforms look cheap in design and in execution. 

Which uniforms look cheap in design and execution? It's hard for me to agree with, or to be convinced by, your argument without talking about specifics. 

Are you talking about authentic jerseys or replicas?

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just now, WSU151 said:

Which uniforms look cheap in design and execution? It's hard for me to agree with your argument without talking about specifics. 

The Jaguars do, because they almost nothing on them anymore. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

Most people don't buy on-field authentics though. It doesn't matter what the players wear when 99% of the fans buy the screen printed replicas anyway. And I don't know how different the "authentics" are from the actual team-issue jerseys are in the NFL compared to hockey, but even then, they're very different in quality. I do agree that replicas used to be much nicer in the past, especially hockey and basketball jerseys

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

The Jaguars do, because they almost nothing on them anymore. 

But minimalism is a thing. I love how spartan the Raiders unis are...and they aren't new. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

But minimalism is a thing. I love how spartan the Raiders unis are...and they aren't new. 

The problem is the Jags went from having splashes of gold on their uniform to none, save for the logo which is on the front of the jersey instead of the sleeves. the Raiders have been a plain looking team since 1962, when they switched over to silver and black. The Jaguars don't even have pant stripes anymore. They look more like a college team than a pro team. Minimalism is a thing, but when you've never been known as a minimalist, changing over to that is a bit depressing visuals wise. 

• Like 5

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Tom Coughlin should never be allowed near uniform design ever again.

I don't think he'll be allowed in the NFL's vicinity again after 25% of complaints to the NFLPA involved him. He performed a Seifert-level ruination of his legacy.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

22 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

The issue with that aquafresh piping was that it went through so many changes under Reebok depending on what kind of template was used. And for players like MJD, he wore all three. A design function that can't translate well through different players on the same team is not good. 

91026154_original.jpg?1279761039

136319809.jpg

4dccf8c296f689afd6764e04b9316823.jpg

hi-res-131162524_crop_north.jpg?13686428

Yep, they had like 4-5 different patterns on the field at once depending on jersey cut. They were terrible. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TSHARE18 said:

Yep, they had like 4-5 different patterns on the field at once depending on jersey cut. They were terrible. 

Any support for this set is just reminds me how little people really watch the Jaguars. They were not only plain in concept, but were also just garbage on the field. The only features on the entire uniform were the toothpaste piping and single number outlines (the sleeves COMPLETELY blank??), both of which ended up serving no visual purpose other than looking fuzzy and non-distinguishable from more than ten feet away. Watch any clip from the period (especially the white and black jerseys) and just watch in horror as the teal accents get just suffocated by by the black and white. I truly think this was a trial for single number outlines being not a great idea for the Jags. Double or nothing, and currently? Nothing works fine.

And, of course, there was Reebok deciding to use the Jags to demo their hideous experimental template that ended up being a precursor for Adidas's infamous techfit, leaving skill players like MJD and David Garrard looking like absolute clowns until Nike cleaned up the template before moving on a year later.

And, honestly, I don't even want to hear about the teal flake helmets. That's how I know you REALLY didn't watch any Jaguars football. Even with our brand new hd TV, my dad and I tried and struggled so hard to see if we could make out a crumb of teal in that paint. You just weren't passively noticing it. Every couple of weeks you would see a little glint during a super closeup, and we would joke "omg! its The Thing! look! The Thing!!" and no more frequently than that. That picture with Tyson Alualu in it is the only one out of the several in this thread where it actually makes out. Great idea with lame execution, tbh. 

I remember being a kid in middle and high school watching this team week in and week out (except 2009, we don't talk about 2009) and thinking "Man, they did my boys dirty." It had few features, and the ones that it had were non-descript at best and completely stunk at worst. The only things it had in its favor is that it was the last time they wore teal and was replaced by, head-to-toe, some of the worst superhero costumes this league has put up with.

What a marred uniform, given the only events of significance during its reign were a hail mary, MJD's rushing title, and the team getting sold.

• Like 10

The teal flaked helmet to me was the only good part of that awful set. I think because the helmet was essentially black. And when some teal was seen under the sun, it wasn't such a drastic change that it wasn't that big of a deal. With that said, having a solid black helmet is still better. The teal flake was just a cool thing -- a nice paint job to an ugly car. 

• Like 8

Go A's!

6 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

That's the whole purpose of the Jags design. Tom Coughlin drew inspiration from Penn State's uniform. 

Tom Coughlin embracing a model set by Joe Paterno..

Confused, emoticon, yikes icon - Download on Iconfinder

• Like 6
  • WOAH 1

6uXNWAo.png

10 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Which uniforms look cheap in design and execution? It's hard for me to agree with, or to be convinced by, your argument without talking about specifics. 

Are you talking about authentic jerseys or replicas?

Generally the fabric used now is thinner and lacks the shine that past authentic jersey's used to use. The jersey's numbers and names used to feature layered thick fabric embroidered to the jersey. The teams ability to design uniforms and identity seems to be limited by the outfitters templates and the fabrics they use (color accuracy, stripping, design element sizing consistency)

I can understand why form fitting templates have become popular because it provides a functional element during game play. Aesthetics have taken a back seat. Uniform real estate has diminished and elements on the uniforms become distorted.

My idea about these changes being cost cutting measures have more to do with my general distrust of big business. Ultimately I'm not privy to their financial records but the product seems inferior to what I used to buy in the late 90's and early to mid 2000's.

11 hours ago, O.C.D said:

Generally the fabric used now is thinner and lacks the shine that past authentic jersey's used to use. The jersey's numbers and names used to feature layered thick fabric embroidered to the jersey. The teams ability to design uniforms and identity seems to be limited by the outfitters templates and the fabrics they use (color accuracy, stripping, design element sizing consistency)

I can understand why form fitting templates have become popular because it provides a functional element during game play. Aesthetics have taken a back seat. Uniform real estate has diminished and elements on the uniforms become distorted.

My idea about these changes being cost cutting measures have more to do with my general distrust of big business. Ultimately I'm not privy to their financial records but the product seems inferior to what I used to buy in the late 90's and early to mid 2000's.

They’re thinner, but more durable. You don’t see players having their jerseys ripped off them like back in the day. Your number issue doesn’t even exist they are sewn on tackle twill numbers across the board now unlike in the 90’s when half the teams used screen printed numbers. As far as templates go Nike has been very good about altering their templates to fit teams designs. Even ones with weird side panels like the Broncos, and falcons got transferred over. Even the example posted on this thread of the Jaguars Nike actually fixed their design to be consistent across the players rather than the issues Reebok was having of 5 different striping patterns. As far as color accuracy all manufacturers have had that issue throughout time. There are examples of Washington going to a redder burgundy color because the manufacturer that Lombardi brought in couldn’t supply the right colored fabrics. 

• Like 6