NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

13 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Didn't @andrewharrington suggest that the OG logo looked like it had a broken jaw?

Jacksonville-Jaguars-Logo-History-500x24

yeah it's really misaligned, but I still prefer the original. Maybe it's mid bite and it's about to chomp on some prey? It doesn't bother me. The original logo toes the line nicely between detailed and simple. It's also got some good action and movement where the new one is stagnant. It's perfect as a sports logo whereas the current logo is perfect for the wall of a high school gymnasium. It's an overly detailed illustration that you might find on a stock logo website. It's awful and I'm amazed it was approved with all that detail. 

A lot of people have tried to combine the two, but I think the best course of action is fix the lower mandible on the original and call it done. 

32 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I'm willing to be wrong on this, but I really doubt the reason the Steelers added the logo to the jersey was to fill a logo gap left by having one blank side of the helmet.  And I also doubt the logic behind the Jaguars patch has anything to do with the jerseys being too plain.

It's more likely about making the jerseys retail friendly. It's the same reason we see teams repeat helmet logos on jersey sleeves. On the whole, it looks redundant, but for streetwear, the logo becomes an identifier and an opportunity for brand exposure.

But even then, despite it having a function, I'd still argue that it's unnecessary and the Steelers and Jaguars could — and should — lose the patches.

two things can be true at the same time. 

But why do you think they should lose the patches? Especially the Jaguars and it being the one element of gold on the entire jersey? Football jersey patches is one area that people seem hot about that's just never concerned me one way or the other. 

• Like 6

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 2/24/2021 at 9:03 AM, PaleVermilion81 said:

The black pants were debuted with the flake helmet. The helmet did not work with the away set.

spacer.png

I think it did. Yeah you see the flakes but the helmet still for the most part was a black helmet with some teal on it, like the black pants with some teal on it. 

• Like 4

Go A's!

2 hours ago, Sport said:

But why do you think they should lose the patches? Especially the Jaguars and it being the one element of gold on the entire jersey? Football jersey patches is one area that people seem hot about that's just never concerned me one way or the other. 

Yes, two things can be true. But the patches in these examples are only there because they add some value to the product at retail, not because they add value to the aesthetics. 

Jersey patches aren't something that generally bother me. But the question at hand was to whether the patches in these examples are necessary, and I'm suggesting they aren't.

• In the case of the Steelers, the patch does nothing but add clutter to a jersey that doesn't need it. It looks better without the patch. And I think the Steelers are well known enough to not generate confusion with the Iowa Hawkeyes anytime soon. Their look can stand on its own without adding knick-knacks. 
  • As for the Jaguars, I can understand why someone might be bothered by the lack of gold in the jersey. But a patch, seemingly placed at random, shouldn't be the answer to a design flaw. Again, its only function is to make the jersey recognizable on its own. It's not there because it looks good. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Gr3g3 said:

Really am hoping for a Jaguars throwback for several reasons, but one reason would be seeing how the full body cat would fit on a modern cut of uniform. I am skeptical.

JYrQiS2.png

osT8omI.png

I set these up using the original uniform in Madden. It's definitely workable. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Unpopular opinion, I am sure, but the full-body jag would look great on a helmet.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On the Steelers thing, I'm pretty sure the patch being aded in 1997 was a Nike thing. Since at the time, Nike was trying to get the NFL teams they had "manufacturing deals" with to make uniform changes. The Broncos were the only team to go for a full makeover, leading to the current side-paneled robo bronco we have today. Other teams didn't give in, but made minor tweaks to their already existing uniforms. The Packers were convinced to shorten their sleeve stripes from five to three, Cowboys added the star to the sleeve stripes on the Navy jersey, Jaguars added drop shadow numbers (removed after preseason,) side panels (removed after 1997,) and a custom number font, and as we all know, the Steelers were pressured into using the italic helmet numbers on the Jerseys and the logo patch. The Bears, Raiders, and Panthers didn't budge.

• Yawn 1

da0Lbhs.png

22 hours ago, QCS said:

I definitely appreciate the simplicity of it. @mcrosby made a brilliant update that I really like:

spacer.png

Combines the simplicity and general shape of the old logo with the spots and modern feel of the new one.

That jawline looks so broken. Extend the back part of the jaw so it matches and lines up with the whiskers, then we'd be having a conversation.

8 hours ago, gothedistance said:

All the Jaguars love deserves a jaguar roar. 

I would not want to root for a jaguar tearing apart a man, but if that is how this scene ended, I would have to say, "dude, you were kind of asking for it."

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

23 hours ago, Sport said:

Patches on jerseys aren't a traditional football aesthetic.

I have no other reaons than that. That isn't to say it is the only or the correct answer, but it is my answer to your first question. I recognize that it is only my opinion, so nobody ought to get bunged up that I am declaring the end of the debate.

😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1

It's where I sit.

On 2/24/2021 at 6:48 AM, TruColor said:

Two different colors.

Process Blue is a Pantone base ink color, while Process Cyan is a primary color in CMYK printing:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yes, I’m just saying that blues of that hue and value are often colloquially called “cyan.”

On 2/24/2021 at 6:26 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Didn't @andrewharrington suggest that the OG logo looked like it had a broken jaw?

Jacksonville-Jaguars-Logo-History-500x24

Not me, but I don’t disagree on that particular point. The composition needs work, but stylistically, the old one is much more suited to succeed as a logo, in my opinion.

• Like 7

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Bot me, but I don’t disagree on that particular point. The composition needs work, but stylistically, the old one is much more suited to succeed as a logo, in my opinion.

I agree. I'd never considered this before, but I feel like the black-and-white lines on the original logo (essentially on the jaguar's cheek) could be incorporated as a design element elsewhere on the uniform, perhaps as sleeve stripes. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

That's much worse than the original full-body logo.  What's up with those stupid tummy whiskers?

Geez, you're right.  I never really looked closely at that logo before.

• Like 3

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃