NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That's much worse than the original full-body logo.  What's up with those stupid tummy whiskers?

That's what the crawler has looked like this whole time.

spacer.png

It definitely has aged about as well as, well, its head. Id love to see a fresh crawler on the sleeves.

• Like 7

The sartorial history of the Jacksonville Jaguars has been a progressively worsening s***show since 2002. It's been one dubious design decision after another from that season on.

There was no need for black jerseys or black pants... and certainly no need for black unitard combos. There was no need for logos on the hips. No need for black numbers and black names. There was no need for teal flake helmets. No need for wispy, barely-there piping. There was no need to drop the unique alphanumeric font introduced in 1998. There was absolutely no need for gold-to-black fade helmets. No need for a complete overhaul of the primary logo into something more akin to an illustration, when a slight tweak to the original logo's lower jaw would have sufficed. There was no need for team logo "shields" over the heart. No need for truncated insert stripes on the pants. There was no need for mustard - pardon, gold - jerseys or pants... and sure as s*** no need for mustard - pardon, gold - unitard combos. There was no need for teal pants... and no need for the inevitable teal unitard combos that followed.       

Bottom line? The best the Jacksonville Jaguars franchise ever looked was during the 1998 through 2001 NFL seasons when they sported a certified modern classic uniform that - to my mind - stands as one of the best in NFL history.  Full stop.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1

22 hours ago, simtek34 said:

On the Steelers thing, I'm pretty sure the patch being aded in 1997 was a Nike thing. Since at the time, Nike was trying to get the NFL teams they had "manufacturing deals" with to make uniform changes. The Broncos were the only team to go for a full makeover, leading to the current side-paneled robo bronco we have today. Other teams didn't give in, but made minor tweaks to their already existing uniforms. The Packers were convinced to shorten their sleeve stripes from five to three, Cowboys added the star to the sleeve stripes on the Navy jersey, Jaguars added drop shadow numbers (removed after preseason,) side panels (removed after 1997,) and a custom number font, and as we all know, the Steelers were pressured into using the italic helmet numbers on the Jerseys and the logo patch. The Bears, Raiders, and Panthers didn't budge.

IIRC they did convince the Bears to make a small tweak to the GSH.

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

1 hour ago, Bathysphere said:

That's what the crawler has looked like this whole time.

spacer.png

It definitely has aged about as well as, well, its head. Id love to see a fresh crawler on the sleeves.

I don't know where this notion that the Jaguars' full-body logo was bad is coming from, but I wholeheartedly and vehemently disagree. That logo was rendered about as well as one could've rendered a full-body animal, in the mid-'90s, with that many markings on it--and in such a short turnaround time, too. (Might I remind everyone that basically the entire identity package had to be redone from the debuting of the first prototype uniforms to the first preseason game once Jaguar the automotive company kicked up static about their original logo too closely resembling their auto marque.)

Anyway, none of that is why I quoted the above post...I quoted it to declare, definitely, that that jersey in particular and that uniform in general was definitely one of the absolute best in NFL history--and then they blew it. Which segues nicely into this...

43 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

The sartorial history of the Jacksonville Jaguars has been a progressively worsening s***show since 2002. It's been one dubious design decision after another from that season on.

There was no need for black jerseys or black pants... and certainly no need for black unitard combos. There was no need for logos on the hips. No need for black numbers and black names. There was no need for teal flake helmets. No need for wispy, barely-there piping. There was no need to drop the unique alphanumeric font introduced in 1998. There was absolutely no need for gold-to-black fade helmets. No need for a complete overhaul of the primary logo into something more akin to an illustration, when a slight tweak to the original logo's lower jaw would have sufficed. There was no need for team logo "shields" over the heart. No need for truncated insert stripes on the pants. There was no need for mustard - pardon, gold - jerseys or pants... and sure as s*** no need for mustard - pardon, gold - unitard combos. There was no need for teal pants... and no need for the inevitable teal unitard combos.       

Bottom line? The best the Jacksonville Jaguars franchise ever looked was during the 1998 through 2001 NFL seasons when they sported a certified modern classic.  Full stop.

Straight...up. No lies detected anywhere in this.

(Now, side note, and I may have asked this before a long time ago--we've been on these boards a long time: how did a Bostonian transplanted to L.A. become a Jaguars fan in the first place? I was always curious about that.)

• Like 13

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 2/25/2021 at 10:01 AM, Gothamite said:

Do they? 

Honest question, I have no idea.  Would love to know what the breakdown is between the various levels.

It would be next to impossible to find reliable stats across different sports but counterfeit jerseys blur the line even further. To make matters more complicated, basketball and football have mid level options (swingman) available. Anecdotal evidence but when I go to hockey games, I see more knockoffs than replicas and authentics are excessively rare. When I go to CFL games, it's 99% replicas and 1% game worn since it's such a small league that counterfeiters don't bother making fakes and game worn jerseys are actually priced reasonably lol

23 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

It would be next to impossible to find reliable stats across different sports but counterfeit jerseys blur the line even further. To make matter more complicated, basketball and football have mid level options (swingman) available.

That’s true.   But in the NFL’s case, only the cheapest level has printed numbers.  So I’m pretty confident that they don’t represent “98%” of jersey sales, which was the claim that started this digression. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

That’s true.   But in the NFL’s case, only the cheapest level has printed numbers.  So I’m pretty confident that they don’t represent “98%” of jersey sales, which was the claim that started this digression. 

Oh I totally pulled that number out of my ass lol but the point is, what the players wear on the field/ice is kinda irrelevant to us since we don't even have access to those jerseys cause even "authentics" aren't even close to what the players wear in most cases. Especially in football with the baggy cut and 3/4 sleeves "authentics" vs form fitting and short sleeves on field jerseys. All the tech and breathability in the world don't really matter if you're just watching the game on your couch

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Oh I totally pulled that number out of my ass lol but the point is, what the players wear on the field/ice is kinda irrelevant to us since we don't even have access to those jerseys cause even "authentics" aren't even close to what the players wear in most cases. Especially in football with the baggy cut and 3/4 sleeves "authentics" vs form fitting and short sleeves on field jerseys. All the tech and breathability in the world don't really matter if you're just watching the game on your couch

Nike authentics since the vapor untouchable template came out have the elastic sleeves and and the shoulder area are cut the same as the game worn jerseys, basically chest down though is cut looser to fit Joe Shmoe at a bar, and it might not even really be looser because I accidentally ordered the wrong size. But they are cut shorter and don’t have the elastic waist like onfield do.

• Like 2

I'm really glad the Eagles didn't fall into the "body around the head" trap.  I can't see any way to pull that off without it being a complete train wreck of a bird.

EDIT:  Ad me to the list of people that never realized just how bad the crawling jaguar was (the stomach lol) but I don't care.  I still love it, and those jerseys, and the original logo.  

• Like 9

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I heard a thing. For reasons I have to be a little vague. I do not care if you believe me and I will not provide proof.

Jeff Bezos is in contact with Nike about a redesign for a team he is about to purchase (I would say this gets done in June or July)

It is not the Washington Football Team and that is all I will say. So when news breaks he’s purchased this team, just know there’s a good chance the team will change uniforms in 2022 since he’s already started the process and it’s well under way.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

27 minutes ago, Justpassingby said:

I heard a thing. For reasons I have to be a little vague. I do not care if you believe me and I will not provide proof.

Jeff Bezos is in contact with Nike about a redesign for a team he is about to purchase (I would say this gets done in June or July)

It is not the Washington Football Team and that is all I will say. So when news breaks he’s purchased this team, just know there’s a good chance the team will change uniforms in 2022 since he’s already started the process and it’s well under way.

This is a fun nugget!

The Seahawks have nice uniforms and don't need new ones. And I'd much rather Bezos spend his money on an NBA team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

No idea why they didn't go for a horizontal logo that, I don't know, looks like a horse(?) instead of turning the Bronco into a furry thirst trap.

I was always under the impression they were trying to make it in the general shape of a D.

• Like 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

6 hours ago, Hat Boy said:

452.gif

"It's now time for a brand new challenge on Hollywood Game Night. We call this 'Mascot Morph'. We're going to show you a logo featuring the mascot of a professional sports franchise, give you a scenario into which the mascot is to be placed, and your job is going to be to sketch - as quickly as you possibly can - a depiction of said scene. First up, it's Tony Hale. Tony, take a look at the monitor. That is the logo mascot of the National Football League's Denver Broncos. You may not have known this Tony, but apparently he's an arachnophobe... and he just spotted a spider as he was about to step into his shower. SKETCH!"    

• Like 2
  • LOL 1