NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

4 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

So your best argument is that the Super Bowl is important because look, everyone says so. That's a bad argument. And every single pro athlete cares about their contracts above all else - which they get by being the best they can be, not by winning championships.

The super bowl is important because it determines who the NFL champion is for that season, which is objectively more important than who had the best regular season record. That's the whole reason we have a playoff, it's to determine who the best team is.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

On 3/18/2021 at 11:13 AM, throwuascenario said:

Clearly that's not true. The Patriots are the only team in history to win 18 games in a season. The goal of football is to win. That makes them indisputably the best team to ever play.

That's only because the NFL played a 14-game regular season in 1972...

On 3/18/2021 at 11:21 AM, ManillaToad said:

I hate being an "um ackshully" guy but the 1984 49ers and 1985 Bears both did

Sho' nuff. But yet...

3 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

Okay, you got me. So those are the only two teams that have been better.

Mercury Morris & rest of that 1972 Miami Dolphins squad might have something to say about that...

3 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

Who cares about a trophy? The goal of anything you do competitively is to be the best. Winning the most games makes you the best. Losing all year just to get hot in January and February has no logical path to an argument that you're the best.

Try telling that to the 1984-2001 Florida State Seminoles, 1995-2005 Atlanta Braves, 2001 Seattle Mariners--and oh yes, those 2007 New England Patriots.  On the other hand, getting hot at the right time is exactly what propelled the 1999 Tennessee Titans, 2006 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008 Arizona Cardinals--and oh yes, the 2020 Tampa Bay Buccaneers into the Super Bowl, with all but one of those teams winning it all.

Actually, those '08 Cardinals pretty much got Jean-Claude Van Damme helicopter-kicked backwards into the playoffs, but then got up, got hot, had the fortune of feasting on The Bakery 1.0 aka Jake Delhomme, and then made it into the Super Bowl--and if not for Ken Whisenhunt's boneheaded attempt at spiting his former team by abandoning the very formula that got his Cardinals to the Super Bowl in favor of "out-Steelering the Steelers", up until he saw that wasn't going to work, only too little too late, there'd be a Lombardi sitting in Glendale, too. But who's keeping track?

• Like 7

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 hours ago, GoGreenGoWhite said:

The super bowl is important because it determines who the NFL champion is for that season, which is objectively more important than who had the best regular season record. That's the whole reason we have a playoff, it's to determine who the best team is.

But that's not furthering the argument in any way. The Super Bowl is important because it determines the NFL champion, which is important because it tells you who won the Super Bowl, and on and on. You're not adding anything new or saying in any way why it's so important. And there's nothing objective about just saying the word "champion" and automatically being better than the team that won the most games. And they don't play the playoff to determine who the best team is, they play the whole season to determine who the best team is. They play the playoffs to play up the drama.

Also, I didn't say the regular season is what's important exclusively. It's your performance as a whole, regular season and postseason combined that is what's important.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

3 hours ago, tBBP said:

Try telling that to the 1984-2001 Florida State Seminoles, 1995-2005 Atlanta Braves, 2001 Seattle Mariners--and oh yes, those 2007 New England Patriots.  On the other hand, getting hot at the right time is exactly what propelled the 1999 Tennessee Titans, 2006 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008 Arizona Cardinals--and oh yes, the 2020 Tampa Bay Buccaneers into the Super Bowl, with all but one of those teams winning it all.

Reveal hidden contents

Actually, those '08 Cardinals pretty much got Jean-Claude Van Damme helicopter-kicked backwards into the playoffs, but then got up, got hot, had the fortune of feasting on The Bakery 1.0 aka Jake Delhomme, and then made it into the Super Bowl--and if not for Ken Whisenhunt's boneheaded attempt at spiting his former team by abandoning the very formula that got them to the Super Bowl in favor of "out-Steelering the Steelers, up until he saw that wasn't going to work, only too little too late, there'd be a Lombardi sitting in Glendale, too. But who's keeping track?

My entire point is that, from any standpoint by which you measure greatness: talent, wins, anything, the first group of teams is just better than the second group of teams.

3 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

My entire point is that, from any standpoint by which you measure greatness: talent, wins, anything, the first group of teams is just better than the second group of teams.

If you measure those teams' playoff and championship game wins then the second group of teams is better. Greatness isn't measured in talent or regular season wins.

2 hours ago, GoGreenGoWhite said:

If you measure those teams playoff and championship game wins then the second group of teams is better. Greatness isn't measured in talent or regular season wins.

great·ness
/ˈɡrātnəs/

noun

1. the quality of being great, distinguished, or eminent.

Nowhere does it say anything about February or October or June being more important towards determining greatness. You just keep repeating that the playoffs and championships are so important. You haven't answered my question of WHY it's so important.

8 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

But that's not furthering the argument in any way. The Super Bowl is important because it determines the NFL champion, which is important because it tells you who won the Super Bowl, and on and on. You're not adding anything new or saying in any way why it's so important. And there's nothing objective about just saying the word "champion" and automatically being better than the team that won the most games. And they don't play the playoff to determine who the best team is, they play the whole season to determine who the best team is. They play the playoffs to play up the drama.

Also, I didn't say the regular season is what's important exclusively. It's your performance as a whole, regular season and postseason combined that is what's important.

I don't need to add anything. The Super Bowl determines the NFL champion, which is the highest achievement in the league. Winning a championship eclipses any other accomplishment a team can achieve. That's just how sports work.

• Like 4

Just now, throwuascenario said:
great·ness
/ˈɡrātnəs/

noun

1. the quality of being great, distinguished, or eminent.

Nowhere does it say anything about February or October or June being more important towards determining greatness. You just keep repeating that the playoffs and championships are so important. You haven't answered my question of WHY it's so important.

Do I really have to explain why winning a championship is important?

2 hours ago, GoGreenGoWhite said:

I don't need to add anything. The Super Bowl determines the NFL champion, which is the highest achievement in the league. Winning a championship eclipses any other accomplishment a team can achieve. That's just how sports work.

Those are all opinions, supported by nothing.

17 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

Because the Super Bowl is the last game of a playoff where the best teams have been playing against eachother to make it. Once it gets to those 2 teams who ever wins is the champion. What are you not getting about this?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, dont care said:

Because the Super Bowl is the last game of a playoff where the best teams have been playing against eachother to make it. Once it gets to those 2 teams who ever wins is the champion. What are you not getting about this?

This will be my last response about this, because you guys are just repeating the same thing over and over. As I see it, the best team is the one who has been the best through the course of the year. The fact that it is February, June, or October is not a rational way to determine who is the best. No one has given one single reason besides just parroting "championship" why it would be.

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

This will be my last response about this, because you guys are just repeating the same thing over and over. As I see it, the best team is the one who has been the best through the course of the year. The fact that it is February, June, or October is not a rational way to determine who is the best. No one has given one single reason besides just parroting "championship" why it would be.

Because being the champion by definition means you are the best

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

Why do those teams want win all those regular season games? To make the playoffs. Why do they want to make the playoffs? So they can have a chance to be named the best at their sport, no matter how they play in the regular season. The 72-10 Bulls are still considered the best NBA team in history, even though the 73-9 Warriors won more games. Why? Because when it mattered most, Jordan was able to win one more game, and Curry was not. The 2007 New York Giants are the best team that year, because they beat an undefeated team in the biggest game of the year. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Why do those teams want win all those regular season games? To make the playoffs. Why do they want to make the playoffs? So they can have a chance to be named the best at their sport, no matter how they play in the regular season. The 72-10 Bulls are still considered the best NBA team in history, even though the 73-9 Warriors won more games. Why? Because when it mattered most, Jordan was able to win one more game, and Curry was not. The 2007 New York Giants are the best team that year, because they beat an undefeated team in the biggest game of the year. 

But the 2007 Giants lost to the exact same team that year in a game with the exact same rules. Why is one bigger or more important? You're just going in circles, saying "it's important because it determines the champion, which is important", never saying why either is important

And to my point, the Warriors DIDN'T win more games. They won an equal number of games. The playoffs still matter.

This is a such a stupid argument.  Ask any sports fan which they would prefer:

1) undefeated in the regular season but wash out of the playoffs in the first round; or 

2) sneak into the playoffs and run the table to a championship. 

The better team is the one that’s better when it counts.  

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

Which is why calling the winner of the Super Bowl the champion no matter what is a bastardization of the word champion.

You lied. You responded again.

• Like 7

It's where I sit.