NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

17 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I’m still of the opinion that the Raiders should’ve made the switch to black facemasks upon their arrival in Las Vegas

I'm probably in the minority for this but I think the Raiders should've added black pants as an alternate for their arrival in Vegas as well. They need to do something to differentiate their identity from Oakland to Las Vegas. Black facemasks with an all black alternate and white/black alternate that are both worn 2x a year would be perfect. 

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

I'm probably in the minority for this but I think the Raiders should've added black pants as an alternate for their arrival in Vegas as well. They need to do something to differentiate their identity from Oakland to Las Vegas. Black facemasks with an all black alternate and white/black alternate that are both worn 2x a year would be perfect. 

An all black uniform is something I've wanted for quite awhile, but other than that and maybe silver numbers on the road, they don't need to mess around with anything else.

• Like 7

bSLCtu2.png

On 4/1/2021 at 9:35 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Only these, no others...

spacer.png

Pats in grey is a major downgrade (especially now that red has overtaken silver in the color scheme).

As is the Chargers, that yellow face mask is great.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

The hate for gray facemasks is stupid. It's like the grey away uniforms in baseball, it's a neutral color that works for every possible helmet in the NFL. There's only like a handful of teams I don't think would benefit from wearing a grey face mask permanently. 

I just don't see grey as a neutral color at all, regardless of the unique, old-fashioned traditions within baseball. I mean, this board coined terms like GFGS for a reason, right? Otherwise, I think that uniforms like these might wouldn't get so much hate.

7947ded4-0a49-4885-a40f-a331756ff234-USA

hi-res-154074390_crop_exact.jpg?w=3072&h

630632734-850x560.jpeg

patrick-towles-1702a609c011d217.jpg

Aside from that, you can't look at modern helmets like the Jags or expressive helmets like Bengals and tell me that a grey mask looks good for them. Any "one size fits all" mentality toward aesthetics is a bad idea.

• Like 17
  • Love 1

spacer.png

gray can only be neutral if everyone uses it.  When the first team switched from gray to color, the facemask ceased being just "equipment" and started being an intentional design choice.  

As is the case with everything, not just design, speaking in absolutes is stupid.  Some teams look better with gray, others don't.  

IMO, gray is the wrong choice for the Cardinals while they're wearing this uniform.  They lost the ability to use "tradition" as a crutch once they switched to the piped-and-paneled mess of a costume they've been wearing for the last decade.  If/when they overcorrect and become the red version of the Jags, then they can go with a gray mask.

• Like 15

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not sure if this is something or not, but the Eagles black jerseys are shown on their site without TV numbers.  The green and white have them.   https://store.philadelphiaeagles.com/mens-philadelphia-eagles-zach-ertz-nike-black-alternate-game-jersey/p-23326864913882+z-883-856968152?_ref=p-DLP:m-GRID:i-r10c1:po-31

EDIT: It's inconsistent - some black jerseys have them, others don't.  Still, they don't need to photoshop these so I'm not sure how an error would be made.

FF_1928254ALT1_full.jpg&w=900

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

By that logic, wouldn't a white facemask be better? It doesn't get more "neutral" and "invisible" than being the same color as the rest of the helmet.

White and black aren’t neutral in terms of brightness/value. They’re actually the least neutral examples of achromatic shades.

52 minutes ago, henburg said:

I just don't see grey as a neutral color at all, regardless of the unique, old-fashioned traditions within baseball. I mean, this board coined terms like GFGS for a reason, right? Otherwise, I think that uniforms like these might wouldn't get so much hate.

7947ded4-0a49-4885-a40f-a331756ff234-USA

hi-res-154074390_crop_exact.jpg?w=3072&h

630632734-850x560.jpeg

patrick-towles-1702a609c011d217.jpg

Aside from that, you can't look at modern helmets like the Jags or expressive helmets like Bengals and tell me that a grey mask looks good for them. Any "one size fits all" mentality toward aesthetics is a bad idea.

It’s just context. Grey isn’t intended to be neutral in any of these. It’s the star of the show, which is why it doesn’t communicate the same way.

21 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Not sure if this is something or not, but the Eagles black jerseys are shown on their site without TV numbers.  The green and white have them.   https://store.philadelphiaeagles.com/mens-philadelphia-eagles-zach-ertz-nike-black-alternate-game-jersey/p-23326864913882+z-883-856968152?_ref=p-DLP:m-GRID:i-r10c1:po-31

EDIT: It's inconsistent - some black jerseys have them, others don't.  Still, they don't need to photoshop these so I'm not sure how an error would be made.

FF_1928254ALT1_full.jpg&w=900

Many of these are photoshopped. The number of photos that need to be continually created and edited, year after year, players who switch teams, new designs, number changes, et cetera, is enormous. There are also sometimes minor differences between jerseys that come in finished with the player’s name and number already (typically the biggest stars) and jerseys that come in blank and are printed domestically with the player’s name and number (which are usually overflow orders and players with more niche followings).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Zach Ertz has been one of the most popular players on the team and biggest sellers for around 7 years give or take.  I'd expect they'd have plenty of stock of 86 (though he's likely to get traded by the draft).

Yeah that's most likely a photoshop, but it's still weird that would happen.  I wonder if it's been that way forever.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Zach Ertz has been one of the most popular players on the team and biggest sellers for around 7 years give or take.  I'd expect they'd have plenty of stock of 86 (though he's likely to get traded by the draft).

It’s irrelevant. Think about the amount of time and money/expertise required to set up a green-screen photo studio, get the position right, get the camera settings right, get the lighting right, capture the photos, cut out the background, and color correct the image...

Versus opening up the blank Eagles jersey, typing the correct name and number, and exporting it. No one is going to take individual photos of every SKU given the alternative.

Heck, some of this stuff isn’t even done with photos anymore. Almost 100% of the photos in the IKEA catalog are composited 3D models now. Same with car commercials. Nike’s signature graphic tee and jersey thumbnails have a very smooth, idyllic look to them, which makes me think those are 3D models.

• Like 2

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Every team wears white to some degree, not every team wears grey. Its not neutral. It's a decided part of the team's identity. Try to tell me grey/silver isn't an integral part of the Lions or Cowboys looks. It's like black. In the strictest sense its "neutral" but that doesn't mean it isn't affecting the expression of a team's uniforms. Would the Packers or Vikings or Dolphins look right with a black facemask? No.

Also grey facemasks rarely look good anyway in my personal opinion. It looks okay on a grey heavy team like the Giants due to their colour balance, but something about the grey facemasks look cheap to me. It reminds me of unpainted models or hardware or something of that ilk, which is why I think its offputting on a team without grey in their colourscheme.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

Would the Packers or Vikings or Dolphins look right with a black facemask? No.

While I completely agree with your main point, it is funny you mentioned the Vikings:

JZhYDMB.jpg

While the black facemask looks fine to me, it ties in the outline of the horn, I do think purple would probably be better.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

While I completely agree with your main point, it is funny you mentioned the Vikings:

JZhYDMB.jpg

While the black facemask looks fine to me, it ties in the outline of the horn, I do think purple would probably be better.

Yeah I was just rattling off teams off the top of my head with particularly vibrant colour schemes lacking black, I forgot the Vikings actually had a black mask. I do think a purple mask would be better though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I think andrewharrington said it for me

5 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

It’s just context. Grey isn’t intended to be neutral in any of these. It’s the star of the show, which is why it doesn’t communicate the same way

Those uniforms are horrible, they try and center around grey unnecessarily. That's why they're GFGS. The grey facemask isn't GFGS because it's just the neutral color of the equipment. 

I really don't understand how people hate it so bad. It's one thing to prefer then to be colored, it's another thing to despise it this much. It looks good. 

I don't hate colored facemasks, there's some situations where they look better than grey, but usually they don't. I wouldn't have a single problem if every team swapped to grey facemasks right now. 

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

3 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Y’all really think this-

looks better than this?

IMO, anytime a helmet and facemask are the same color (outside of white and black), it looks very cheap.

A prime example of a team that would look best with a grey facemask. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

2 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

I can't believe I've been on this forum for a decade and we're still having the grey facemask debate. It's what really makes this place feel like home. 

It is the rock this church was built upon.

• Like 8
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter