NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

1 hour ago, NormMacdonald said:

I've noticed the Panthers have been using blue a lot this off-season. They even photoshoped Darnold into the blue jersey instead of black. Did I miss an announcement or is this normal?

It’s probably just more visually pleasing to use the blue than just black

• Like 7

Not strictly uniform related but this is the first year within memory that I've actually liked the crop of draft hats the NFL released. They're not the greatest designs ever but they're light-years better than any draft hats they've had for  close to a decade

• Like 2

On 4/9/2021 at 4:58 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Rugby still does this, which is why there are no names on the back of international uniforms. In fact, if you wanted to order England jerseys with a number other than 1-15 it had to be a multiple of 5 (20-100), for an anniversary year. Pro leagues allow NOB now, but some leagues still stick to the number being determined by position. 

Rugby Union still, to my knowledge, has no names on the back of any major league(Pro14, Top 14, Premiership, SuperRugby) nor international as you've said. The 7s teams do but they can because short tournament.

Rugby League, closely related but different sport, has names though. And a different numbering system.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

Rugby Union still, to my knowledge, has no names on the back of any major league(Pro14, Top 14, Premiership, SuperRugby) nor international as you've said. The 7s teams do but they can because short tournament.

Rugby League, closely related but different sport, has names though. And a different numbering system.

rugby league has names on the back? not in the NRL

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

1 minute ago, DiePerske said:

I know(think) wolfpack did but I'll gladly be corrected. I'm a union man myself.

NRL is the australian rugby league, and it's what i usually watch. they have a league wide font and no names on the back like this

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

Back to the number rule change, why do LBs need 90-99 if they now have 1-59?  And why shouldn't OLs be able to have 50-79 and 90-99 now?

On one hand, they're doing away with the relatively arbitrary assignment of numbers to positions, but on the other hand, by leaving a few out there that now don't seem to make any sense.

Also, what happens when a team's WRs, RBs, DBs, and LBs consume most of the 1-19s, and their new QB ends up wearing some trash number because the LBs have 7, 11, and 12 (and the other options are used by others?

I do hope this leads to the end of players making their numbers part of their "brands", since there's not an increased likelihood of having to change numbers when traded or signed as a FA, since while usually 12 would be available for a traded QB, now it's very likely that the popular numbers will be in used by previously-unexpected players.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/8/2021 at 9:12 AM, ssj_homeslice said:

It feels a lot like im an old man yelling at a cloud, but i don't like this change at all. 

I’m only okay with WRs and RBs wearing 1-19 and maaaaybe 0.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

And why shouldn't OLs be able to have 50-79 and 90-99 now?

I've wanted to see offensive linemen wear 90s for the longest. 

FWIW I know some college football programs force offensive players wearing 1-19 to change their jersey number if there aren't any numbers in that range available for a QB. You would think some NFL teams would do the same.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

58  55  59
21            99  77  75  95              22
80          77  66  55  65  76  81
                    12                    82

There's just something about this that makes me happy.

• Like 12
  • Love 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, BBTV said:

Also, what happens when a team's WRs, RBs, DBs, and LBs consume most of the 1-19s, and their new QB ends up wearing some trash number because the LBs have 7, 11, and 12 (and the other options are used by others?

QBs, Kickers and Punters will still be required to wear 1-19, so if all of those numbers are retired or used by other positions, then someone will need to give theirs up to the new player. (How is a star linebacker going to react if he is forced to give his single digit number to a rookie kicker!)

Bonus: Which team could this happen on first? Well, that would be the New York Giants who have 7 retired numbers between 1-19 (1,4,7,10,11,14,16)