NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

9 hours ago, DNAsports said:

It’s an acknowledgment of something they shouldn’t acknowledge any further. The history is the franchise. Not the name.

spacer.png

Acknowledging now that the name is racist does not means you pretend it was never used.  But it does mean you don’t glorify it, and you don’t use it (or derivatives) anymore. 

• Like 3

Fruit of a poisoned tree is what needs to be avoided. I'm in the camp of burn it all down, new colors and logos and all. 

That said, it isnt happening. If it is fruit of the poisoned tree, then it and anything derived from it cannot be used because it is related to the old name and imagery.

• Like 2

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

44 minutes ago, dont care said:

Hasn’t been a problem for other teams that have changed .

Yes, but most of these changes happened with relocated teams, or ones without as much history. I can really only think of two/three with complete rebrands in their same city, all in the NBA:

-New Orleans Hornets rebrand to Pelicans when Tom Benson took over.

-Charlotte Bobcats rebrand to Hornets when name was made available with the Pelicans dropping it (although it could be much more of an "update" since the Hornets name had history in Charlotte).

-Washington Bullets rebrand to Wizards after a close friend of the then-owner Abe Pollin was assassinated. The franchise, however, had only existed for 30 years or so at the time, although they had won a championship under the name.

I think the Washington Football Team case is distinct from these since the history of the team is both much more prestigious and long (almost 90 years at this point). And unlike the other changes mentioned here, the owners were more willing to change the name. My point being is that Washington as a franchise has a rich traditions that fans will find hard to drop, and a complete rebrand in terms of colors/name/logo/etc. is near impossible with their owner being very hesitant to change in the first place.

I do believe that the burgundy/yellow will stay, as a sort of olive branch to the fans, and a consolation prize for Snyder. It's not a matter of if they can choose to disconnect from their past, because they can act like it, but rather the fact that the fans and Snyder won't let it happen. And even if the franchise completely dropped all ties back to their former name, there will be a very vocal and loyal crowd who won't let it die, as has already happened. This is much more than just a rebrand, it's a delicate process of reinvention. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

8 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

(A lot of words, saving space)

The burgundy & gold are staying. Ownership already said months ago that was the only thing going to survive. It’s definitely a way of saying “This is the team you know and love.”

No one is saying the franchise or fans are “dropping the team’s tradition” cold turkey and starting anew. There’s really nothing the team is trying to disconnect either in terms of tradition. They don’t erase the logo or the name from photos, documents, etc. Its all still there. The team has just chosen to not say the name or acknowledge the old logos. Everything pre-2020 is “in Washington franchise history”. Which is completely fine on all accounts.

The fans that don’t like the name change are just stubborn mules at this point. You can’t do anything to change their minds.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

But the name Red? Used within the context of the team color? This horse is already on its way to the grave, but I think the word Red can stay.

But they don’t wear red, they wear burgundy. There is no reason to keep Red in the name.

• Like 2

If they want Redtails for the new name, they can easily pick Pilots or Aviators to honor the Tuskegee Airmen. It doesn’t explicitly have to be “Redtails” to get the point across.

Same deal for Redwolves. They can call themselves the Wolves and be done with it.

Utilizing “Red-” would 100% be a deliberate handicap the team can absolutely avoid.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

There is no burgundy on the visible spectrum. 

Burgundy is red. It's just a fancy way to say dark red.

spacer.png

It still doesn’t mean they should keep “Red-” nor should they be meta about it and say “Dark Red[insert name]”

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

There’s just no way the team rebrands itself after another group of people, even if the intention is to honor that group. Learn from your past, choose an animal-based name and avoid any potential/unforeseen issues down the road. 

If they go with an animal, it would be wise to avoid a bird name. There are five bird teams already. No need for a sixth.

“Wolves” is probably the best one to go with, however there could be other interesting options like-

• Coyotes (Regional)

• Cottontails (Regional)

• Mammoths (Honoring the Smithsonian)

As far as personal opinion, I still hold my stance that “Thirty-Twos” is the most intriguing option.