NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

22 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Except it kinda does. It’s still derived from the older Native American head logos that Washington used.

Hence, I said it doesn't reference anything explicitly native.  Feathers can go into a lot of different contexts, especially if the team is named after a species of bird.  That's why a lot of colleges that dropped their native mascots adopted a bird as their new one.

That said, the more I think about it, the more I'm intrigued by Redhogs.  Hogs became associated with the franchise so organically, and how often do you see a swine related identity in sports?  The Arkansas Razorbacks and Nippon Ham Fighters are the only two I can come up with off the top of my head.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Hence, I said it doesn't reference anything explicitly native.  Feathers can go into a lot of different contexts, especially if the team is named after a species of bird.  That's why a lot of colleges that dropped their native mascots adopted a bird as their new one.

Except for the fact that the second anyone looks at those feathers, they’d know exactly what’s implied. You can’t tell me someone could look at this and not think of the previous name

spacer.png

Of my own opinion, I think it’s aesthetically a great logo on paper. However, it’s time to cut all physical ties to the old name. That includes the feathers. Regardless of whatever coverup you want to give it.

• Like 4

Maybe the other thread could get reopened?  Otherwise this one will just become that one.

• Like 9

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

55 minutes ago, NicDB said:

That said, the more I think about it, the more I'm intrigued by Redhogs.  Hogs became associated with the franchise so organically, and how often do you see a swine related identity in sports?  The Arkansas Razorbacks and Nippon Ham Fighters are the only two I can come up with off the top of my head.

Why not just Hogs? Why does Red need to preface it?

• Like 2

It's ok, the NFL draft is nearly upon us and the Bengals are unveiling new uniforms. There will be a lot of other football topics.

The Washington name/identity will drag on into next year so we better pace ourselves. 

Not-so-original argument to be made in favor of red/burgundy staying as Washington's color scheme: maintaining the color balance in the NFC East. 

Dallas and New York are heavy blue teams while Philly has green. I guess they could always go with a mostly orange scheme or include a lot of gold/yellow to differentiate themselves. Just please, no R/W/B. 

Too me this would be perfect with orange shoulder caps on the black & white jerseys with black tiger stripes like the orange jersey and with solid orange stripes down the side of the white pants with black tiger stripes like the color rush pants. Their is always something that seems to be missing to me anyways with Nike even when they get it right that could take it over the top.

• Like 4