Jump to content

2021 NHL Regular Season


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Why would Buffalo trade a guy like Hall to a team in their own division? 

Buffalo is a AAAA team. They need to take the best deal they can get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So this is 30% of the Canucks' current cap;

  • $6m for Tyler Myers
  • $6m Loui Eriksson
  • $3.25m for Tanner Pearson
  • $3m for Jay Beagle
  • $3m for Antoine Roussel
  • $2.25m for Jake Virtanen

And they have the following players that they will have to look at signing to extensions next offseason;

  • Lind Cole
  • Jalen Chatfield
  • Jordie Benn
  • Jayce Hawryluk
  • Brandon Sutter
  • Travis Hamonic
  • Olli Juolevi
  • Quinn Hughes
  • Elias Pettersson

 

Jim Benning may or may not be a :censored:ing awful GM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the Wild put a beat down on the best team in the league on Wednesday, beating the Avs 8-3, tying the franchise record for goals scored in a game. 
 

The Wild then managed to break a franchise goal record last night. The most given up. They lost to the Blues, 9-1. What a team. 🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You'll have to excuse me while I dislodge my foot from my mouth. 

 

We'll see what being one a more competent team does for Hall, but seeing as they just got their :censored: kicked in (8-1) by The Capitals, The Bruins clearly have ALOT more problems that 1 guy won't fix. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This'll probably be it for Carter.  The rumor had been that he'd retire before being traded but if this is an April deal through the playoffs he'll probably finish the season and head right back to Manhattan Beach to devote more time to his and his wife's pet rescue work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just when I thought I couldn't hate Jeff Carter any more than I already did he becomes a member of the NHL's St Louis Cardinals. 

 

 

Blue Jackets traded David Savard to Tampa and Nick Foligno to Toronto. Got some first round picks and some later round picks back. An era is officially over, the rebuild is officially on. This stinks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Geez louise i know I haven't followed hockey in a minute... but Vrana, Panik, a 1st AND a 2nd seems like a massive price no matter who's coming back.  I get Vrana had been scratched lately and there wasn't a lot of room for him in the top 6 after Sheary came but Oshie's not getting any younger and it seemed like Vrana could've been a potential top 6er for a long time here.  Oh well, I'll always remember his goal in Game 5 against Vegas.  What a moment that was.

 

Any Red Wings fans (or people who are just better at following the rest of hockey) here know how good Anthony Mantha is?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Crabcake said:

Geez louise i know I haven't followed hockey in a minute... but Vrana, Panik, a 1st AND a 2nd seems like a massive price no matter who's coming back.  I get Vrana had been scratched lately and there wasn't a lot of room for him in the top 6 after Sheary came but Oshie's not getting any younger and it seemed like Vrana could've been a potential top 6er for a long time here.  Oh well, I'll always remember his goal in Game 5 against Vegas.  What a moment that was.

 

Any Red Wings fans (or people who are just better at following the rest of hockey) here know how good Anthony Mantha is?

 

From what I read about Mantha, he was the big fish in a small pond. He had back-to-back 20-goal scoring seasons on lousy Detroit teams. He has grit and backchecks. Plus, his contract is in place for 3 more seasons.

 

Vrana's time was up. He is an RFA after this season. He has scored one goal in the last 15 games. Plus, he didn't produce any points in the past 2 post-seasons. I couldn't see the Caps ponying up more money to keep him on the second line.

 

Panik never seemed to gel in Laviolette's system. The Caps had high hopes for him when signing him as a FA. The draft picks were included so that Detroit would take Panik's contract too.

I like this trade as it sends a message to Caps forwards to backcheck, gives the Caps some financial flexibility in the coming seasons, also there's a good chance Oshie is exposed in the expansion draft as many Caps pundits speculate he's going to Seattle. The picks will most likely be latter round picks, so we will see how this pans out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BryanSmalls said:

 

From what I read about Mantha, he was the big fish in a small pond. He had back-to-back 20-goal scoring seasons on lousy Detroit teams. He has grit and backchecks. Plus, his contract is in place for 3 more seasons.

 

Vrana's time was up. He is an RFA after this season. He has scored one goal in the last 15 games. Plus, he didn't produce any points in the past 2 post-seasons. I couldn't see the Caps ponying up more money to keep him on the second line.

 

Panik never seemed to gel in Laviolette's system. The Caps had high hopes for him when signing him as a FA. The draft picks were included so that Detroit would take Panik's contract too.

I like this trade as it sends a message to Caps forwards to backcheck, gives the Caps some financial flexibility in the coming seasons, also there's a good chance Oshie is exposed in the expansion draft as many Caps pundits speculate he's going to Seattle. The picks will most likely be latter round picks, so we will see how this pans out.

This is largely what I’ve been hearing after I did more reading up on the trade. The more I read about it the more I like it. I haven’t followed the Caps this closely since the Cup run so my last real memories of Vrana are him being a real sparkplug for the top 6 and scoring some big goals. Seems like the last couple years have been tough on him, and with him being an RFA after the season it almost sounds like more Caps fans should’ve seen this coming. 
 

Considering the circumstances this seems like a great trade for both teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In Coyotes-related news, the Arizona government just passed a law which legalizes sports betting on the condition that you are a tribe or own a pro sports franchise in the state. Considering Meruelo's main line of business, this is a huge boon to the Coyotes' future in the state; there's no possible reason for him to move the team now unless he wants to lose that license.

 

So I think we can finally put that relocation bugbear to rest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All citizens of this great country can always rely on some greased palms to allow politicians to pass laws for the greater good.  Thank God for the Arizona legislature to support the Arizona Coyotes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, schlim said:

All citizens of this great country can always rely on some greased palms to allow politicians to pass laws for the greater good.  Thank God for the Arizona legislature to support the Arizona Coyotes. 

The Cards, D-Backs and Suns were all pushing for the bill as well, I would imagine; the Coyotes were just part of the group doing so. Honestly, I'd be surprised if more bills about sports betting don't begin popping up in the near future for other states with AZ's passing of SB1797 setting the precedent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The Cards, D-Backs and Suns were all pushing for the bill as well, I would imagine; the Coyotes were just part of the group.

Well, why wouldn't three other organizations support a bill that they would specifically be called out to benefit from without any effort from them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2021 at 3:46 PM, Crabcake said:

Any Red Wings fans (or people who are just better at following the rest of hockey) here know how good Anthony Mantha is?


As a Wings fan, I think you’ve seen over the last few games with the Caps just how good Mantha can be if he’s put into a position to succeed and surrounded by skilled players. Everyone knows he’s big and has a great shot, but his skating and passing ability have always been under-appreciated. Sure, he’s might not give you the greatest defensive effort or cost you a goal every few games where he mentally switches off, but if you value what he brings you offensively, it’s an easy trade to make.

 

The problem in Detroit was that Blashill doesn’t value offense as much as defense and played a system based on making safe, predictable plays and eliminating risk: basically, they dump and chase and try to keep everything in front of them. Maybe that makes sense if you consider competing with the talent deficiencies on the Red Wings’ roster, but in the context of player development, it’s not beneficial. Throw in a double-standard where veterans (like Helm, Glendening, Nielsen, and Filppula) are consistently given the benefit of the doubt while young players have to “earn” their minutes and are punished for their mistakes, you can see how someone like Mantha gets shoved down the lineup and frustration leads to a lack of effort.

 

I hope nothing but the best for Mantha in Washington and have been encouraged to see him perform so well when he’s supported by good teammates and a system of play that suits his talents... he should be a productive member of the Caps for the next several years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.