2021 NHL Regular Season

chcarlson23

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

George Parros started a company called the 'Violent Gentlemen' and sold shirts with 'Make Hockey Violent Again' on them. Now he's the head of the DOPS.

Who could've guessed that he doesn't care much for player safety? What a joke of a league.

Somehow, landed a job interview for the position and found a way to convince the higher up that he's the right guy for the job.

And he got the job. **facepalm**

As much as I despise the Rangers I applaud them for calling out Parros.  It's plainly obvious that Wilson needs to be banished from the league for good.  That said it's too bad that the Rangers don't have a line full of tough guys to teach Wilson the lesson all of the suspensions and fines seem to have not.  Honestly, the rest of the division needs to do the same.

Total horse feces. I hope the Rangers keep up the pressure. Punching a guy that's already down on the ice, picking him up, and slamming him back down while he's not wearing a helmet is not a normal part of hockey fighting culture. You're more likely to see a player catch a guy they just punched unconscious to try and stop them from hitting the ice. I tend to be forgiving for legit hockey hits gone awry, but this is not that. At all. 

The Rangers will probably get fined more than Wilson.  Either that or the league let's an Original Six team call them out like that. Doesn't look good either way. 

IUe6Hvh.png

Go for ‘em Rangers. If this is the kind of “punishments” we’re gonna get what’s the point of having a DoPS in the first place. Like it or not hockey is trending in a less violent direction and to try to pull the game back to a bygone era not only lessens the on-ice product but significantly prevents the league from continuing to grow. 

spacer.png

4 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Right up there with the Mandela Effect as one of the stupidest things on the internet.

I'm sorry, I hate it so much.

"Was there a shift into an alternate dimension or am I misremembering something from my spotty childhood memories? We may never know."

"Could it be that -stain isn't as common a last name suffix as -stein is, leading everybody to not look at it too closely (along with the fact that the handwriting "a" used in the logo kind of looks like an "e", especially from memory) and assume it's -stein and pronounce/hear it as such rather than the similar spelt and sounding -stain, then it becomes a self-perpetuating thing? No, that can't be it."

IbjBaeE.png

On 5/4/2021 at 3:54 AM, Crabcake said:

Hey look, Tom Wilson’s in the news again for all the wrong reasons. What a shocker. 

This gives me a great chance to get on my little soap box here and talk about my absolute least favorite thing about the Caps fanbase, which is their insistence on defending Tom Wilson to the ends of the earth, and not just defending him, but actively praising and glorifying him. 

Look, I get it. Hockey’s a physical sport and as fans you’re supposed to defend your guy. If this was something Wilson had done once or twice I could see trying to defend him cause he’s your guy. We’re way beyond “once or twice” at this point. It’s a pattern. The dude plays dirty. He scores enough goals and has enough offensive output to play on the first line, which can tend to distract people for a while cause they don’t only see him in highlights when he’s making bad hits or doing what he did last night to Buchnevich and Panarin. But it’s enough of a pattern that has been established for years now to know that this is just the type of player he is. 

And everyone in Caps world loves this guy. As I said, they not only defend him but they encourage it, they celebrate his antics, they actively glorify him and whenever he does something like he did last night it’s handwaved away as “rent free,” or “they had it coming.” The Caps twitter, which I normally love, even got in on the action and made a rent free comment in search of those sweet, sweet internet points. Who cares if we’re defending and glorifying a guy who is probably the dirtiest player in the NHL, our generation’s Matt Cooke and Raffi Torres except he scores 15 goals a season too so let’s just forget the other stuff?!

Looking at the Caps’ bleacher report stream and the subreddit, the fans are acting how they usually do. And I hate it. It’s sickening. The couple times I’ve gone to Capital One Arena for a game in-person I see tons of Wilson jerseys, probably up there with Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie, and Carlson, the “secondary stars” if you will behind Ovechkin. The Caps fans love this guy and I hate the fact that he’s on my team. 

For what it’s worth, I’ve watched the incident last night a couple times. Anyone saying that Wilson just retaliated in kind to Buchnevich and Panarin and gave them what they deserved, or better yet, was just “defending his goalie” is either kidding themselves or delusional. If he wanted to retaliate in kind or defend Vanecek he would’ve scrummed with them for a few seconds like basically after every single stoppage in the NHL, maybe hung on for a few more seconds to get a message across, and then let go. He punched Buchnevich when he was on the ground and did the same to Panarin, after he tossed him to the ice like a ragdoll. It was over the line. Then he gloated about in the box. 

TL;DR Tom Wilson is a doo-doo head. Caps fans think he isn’t and actively praise him and anoint him as their favorite player. This annoys the everloving crap out of me. 

I am seeing some incredibly :censored:ty takes from most of the Caps fan base and those people who say things like "hockey is a gladiator sport." I know people think the sport is going soft, but there needs to be a diminished role for fighting in the game. 

The DoPs has been wildly inconsistent. Wilson got 7 games earlier this season for something that was a dirty play, but still happened organically in the flow of the game. This was after the whistle. A $5k fine is an absolute joke. Wilson punched Buch in the back of the head, and Panarin was only trying to pull Wilson off his teammate. Fights happen, yes. This wasn't an honest brawl. Wilson crossed lines and ended a guy's season. Granted, it was only a few games early, but from what I'm hearing, it could have been season-ending a month and a half ago.

This outcome isn't in line with the League's stated commitment to addressing concussions and other head trauma. Wilson should be getting 7 games, absolute minimum. Four for the rest of the series (which don't matter much), and the first three of the playoffs. That would send a clearer message to him. The team would feel it, and it might make the difference in moving on or a first round bounce.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

6 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Not related my ass. Someone up top didn't like that shot across the bow of the Department of Player Safety and someone had to take the fall.

Or James Dolan didn't like that Gorton and Davidson weren't entirely on-board with picking a fight with the league and so he told them to :censored: off. Considering the history of leader of the Straight Shots' dictatorship over the Knicks, dude is very easy to personally sleight by disagreeing with him.

Dude bans fans for holding signs, firing employees for not mindlessly agreeing with him practically declaring war on the league FO like puppets is perfectly in-character for him.

8 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

This outcome isn't in line with the League's stated commitment to addressing concussions and other head trauma. Wilson should be getting 7 games, absolute minimum. Four for the rest of the series (which don't matter much), and the first three of the playoffs. That would send a clearer message to him. The team would feel it, and it might make the difference in moving on or a first round bounce.

Wilson should have received at least 10 games.  Unfortunately though Wilson's failed to get the message from all of the other suspensions and fines he received.  It seems the only way he will receive it is to get a season or career ending injury of his own or have the league ban him.  Nothing else seems to get through Wilson's thick skull.

With all that said I turned on the Ranger game tonight and thought I was back in the 80's watching Boxing night at Madison Square Garden starting with a line brawl at opening faceoff and six total fights before the game was five minutes in.  You know it's bad when the announcers on NBCSN are saying if the league had suspended Wilson at least for this game none of this would have happened.  The league grossly dropped the ball on this one.

3 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Not related my ass. Someone up top didn't like that shot across the bow of the Department of Player Safety and someone had to take the fall.

Nope, just Dolan being Dolan.  It was widely reported in New York that Gorton and JD had nothing to do with the shot across the bow it came from Dolan himself.  It's also one of the few times I've ever agreed with Jim Dolan.  The Department of Player Safety is an absolute joke.

I've had enough of Tom Wilson's crap. This has been going on for years. He's at the Matt Cooke/Raffi Torres level of not learning. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This :censored:ing mess of a game is all on Parros' head for not suspending Wilson. If the DOPS suspends Buchnevich while letting Wilson go with a fine, I legit think hockey media will explode. And, knowing the incompetence of the DoPS...I expect a multi-game suspension for Buchnevich.

What a :censored:ing joke.

On 5/4/2021 at 2:53 PM, Brass said:

Sounds like you nailed the "insecure fan" part...

Which Cabinet position will Frank the Tank get when Dave Portnoy wins the White House in 2024?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived