New CFL Uniforms & Logos 2023

Wackyriderfan14

I think the antlers might've looked better if they went with yellow ones on a green shell. The Rams, Eagles, Vikings all use their darker colours for the helmet with a lighter decal.

Maybe they can give that a try as an alternate helmet.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, I can see why that might be an issue. The "EE" makes a better helmet logo (especially without the roundel), but keeping the Elk or its antlers around as an alternate might be nice.

This could be a little 2006-era Reebok, but I think the elk horns could be incorporated into a pants stripe or sleeve striping pattern. 

I also don't think adding weight to the horns themselves would've made much of a difference.  Their shape and placement on the helmet was also an issue.  Most helmet logos feature prominently from the middle toward the front of a helmet. And the helmets that succeed with this sort of immersive design (Rams, Vikings, Eagles) typically have imagery anchored toward the front of the helmet and cascading toward the back. 

The elks, however, started down at the cheek and then emanated toward the back.  From a distance, like in this image, they could be mistaken for a poorly drawn lightning bolt. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

7 hours ago, steve61 said:

It would have been cool to see the antler helmet get a proper makeover. But at least they finally set themselves apart from the Green Bay Packers. I don't hate this new helmet all that much.

They did something right.

• Like 1

I’ve made the point before that the antler just needed a tweak. 

is this a bad helmet? Not in my opinion.

That said, giving up on a unique look and just going back so something familiar just screams “we can’t be the Eskimos anymore but we are” to me. 

I agree that the antlers were not perfect but I’d have liked to have seen some effort to make that look better instead of just reverting (sorta). 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I can see why they went back to the Tinnitus logo. The antlers and the elk head just didn't look right on a helmet.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

15 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

So unique and fitting for Canadian Football.

Maybe if they have an alternate, it could be used with that. They just gotta fix the outline.

Someone mentioned earlier that the antlers would look better being light on a dark background and I agree. I think a green helmet with yellow antlers, possibly with a white outline, would look great for the Elk. I could see a white helmet working too, but that doesn’t really feel like Edmonton…

• Like 4

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

17 hours ago, Jer15 said:

I’ve made the point before that the antler just needed a tweak. 

is this a bad helmet? Not in my opinion.

That said, giving up on a unique look and just going back so something familiar just screams “we can’t be the Eskimos anymore but we are” to me. 

I agree that the antlers were not perfect but I’d have liked to have seen some effort to make that look better instead of just reverting (sorta). 

I think something close to what Rhein fire wore would have worked great as an antlers helmet. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I don't think it's particularly bad, but it's not particularly good either.  I think it would look letter if they had gone with gold/yellow from the Moon era that was just a hair darker.  I also wonder if a white mask would look better, or if it would come off as trying too hard to look like the old Eskimos.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

The fans really wanted the EE logo back on the helmets.

Still hoping there are new uniforms on the way. Last year's weren't great. The homes with the white numbers were particularly bad.

The pant stripe the Esks/Elks have been using for years no longer matches the stripe on the new helmet (the colours have been flipped).

On 3/3/2022 at 5:12 PM, gosioux76 said:

This could be a little 2006-era Reebok, but I think the elk horns could be incorporated into a pants stripe or sleeve striping pattern. 

I also don't think adding weight to the horns themselves would've made much of a difference.  Their shape and placement on the helmet was also an issue.  Most helmet logos feature prominently from the middle toward the front of a helmet. And the helmets that succeed with this sort of immersive design (Rams, Vikings, Eagles) typically have imagery anchored toward the front of the helmet and cascading toward the back. 

The elks, however, started down at the cheek and then emanated toward the back.  From a distance, like in this image, they could be mistaken for a poorly drawn lightning bolt. 

spacer.png

This, exactly. The Elks' helmets are literally blank from the front.

Though similar to how the Eagles' wings have some extra layers to them, I do think some weight on the elk horn would have helped it immensely.

7W7ZFYZRTBD4LDNVK45WGB6K6Y.jpg

b0b8ba0a-c1b2-4100-8bad-28e21b38a5b7_149

The problem here was execution, not idea.

• Like 11
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I just wanted to show my quick and dirty fix for the Elks’ antler helmets. I know it’s generally bad form to put concepts here but I thought showing the fix would be easier than trying to explain what I would do to the helmets.spacer.png

It’s bigger, outlines and more elk-like and less reindeer-like

• Like 16
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

I just wanted to show my quick and dirty fix for the Elks’ antler helmets. I know it’s generally bad form to put concepts here but I thought showing the fix would be easier than trying to explain what I would do to the helmets.spacer.png

Beautiful.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 1:37 PM, 8BW14 said:

You definitely improved upon what they had, so really nice work.  I especially like how you adjusted the orientation of the horn on the helmet, moving it up from the cheek/temple area and closer to the top of the helmet. 

But personally, I still don't see elk horns as something substantial or recognizable enough to work on a helmet.  I think the issue is the horns themselves, especially when isolated from the elk, are so thin and spindly that they could just as easily be tree branches or poorly drawn thorns.  While a ram horn, bird feather or flames on a helmet are instantly identifiable, these are not. I can see why they swapped in the much-improved EE logo instead of this. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 2:37 PM, 8BW14 said:

awesome. Well done. This is what they should wear

• Like 2

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 3/7/2022 at 1:37 PM, 8BW14 said:

I don't see the outline as necessary. Other than that, I like what you did.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 2:37 PM, 8BW14 said:

Better!  It looks a lot less like the tree branch the Grinch ties onto Max's head...

• Like 2

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png