GSL - Louisville Lightning

NeauXone

I'm sure some of you have seen a couple posts in this forum about the GSL (Gridiron Uniform Database Simulation League). I submitted a franchise to the league for the upcoming 2021 season and I've decided to share the design here in further detail.

GSL - Louisville Lightning

Colors

LIGHTNING ROYAL:

RGB - 0, 81, 153

CREAM:

RGB - 255, 206, 147

STORM NAVY:
RGB - 0, 51, 96

Primary Logo

Logo.png

The primary mark for the team is a simple, old English L, with a lightning bolt behind it. I took inspiration from the Louisville Cardinals' use of the same old English L and put a twist on it.

Secondary Logos

Roundel.png

The first alternate logo is a simple roundel with a lightning bolt breaking up the traditional circle.
Roundel2.png

The second alternate is also a roundel, but is more akin to a shield. The stars and the Fleur-de-lis are taken from the former flag of the City of Louisville. Initially I had both of these logos combined, but it ended up being too busy, so I split them.

Wordmark

Wordmark.png

A combination of Old English MT on the top and Mudhead Serif.

Home Uniforms:

Home1.png

Home2.png

Home3.png

The primary home jerseys are Lightning Royal, with Northwestern stripes on the shoulders. Inside the largest stripe is a royal lightning bolt to differentiate these stripes from others like it. Inside the collar is the phrase "LOUISVILLE UNITED"  and a lightning bolt on the collar. There are three pants options: Cream, White, and Royal, with the Royal pants having a different striping pattern to avoid the cream color coming in contact with white.

Away Uniforms:

Away1.png

Away2.png

Away3.png

White jerseys are similar to Royal jerseys with the same pants options. For the all white combination, a blue helmet with the striping pattern seen on the blue pants is introduced.

Cream Alternate Jerseys:

Alt2-2.png
Alt2-3.png

The cream jersey is slightly different from the others, with all striping on the jersey being blue except for the lightning bolts within the stripes and the collar. For these jerseys the alternate blue helmet is used.

Storm Navy Alternate Uniform

Alt1-1.png

This design is a personal throwback to an earlier version of this team design. Similar to the Royal-White home combination except all royal is replaced with navy.

Style Guide

As I've put the design together I've put every logo variation, uniform, etc. together into a style guide, similar to the logo slicks used by NFL/NBA/etc. teams.

Styleguide.png

That's the entire design set for the upcoming season. I may add other combinations or new jerseys/pants in the coming seasons, but this is what I have for now. Any feedback is appreciated, and you can find the link to my team page here:
http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GSL/controller/controller.php?action=teams&team_id=LSV

image-2023-06-05-005249976.png

Really nice concept. Just a couple things that stood out...

- The use of the old english can become tough to read at small sizes... I'd say maybe try a new modern font and save the old english for dope IG posts/edits for the team where it becomes a tertiary font and not a primary one. 

- In the version where the "L" is to the left of the stacked "ouisville Lightning"... I think there is too much of a disconnect. As a concept, I get what you are doing, but visually it might be a bit off. If you were to go this route, I think you'd really have to tuck "ouisville" and "ightning" in to the L just above the stem to really create a tight lockup.

- On the secondary logo with the team name within the roundel... I think the lightning bolt dominates too much here. The proportion of bolt to L in the simplified secondary roundel is nice.

Great concept!

spacer.png

On 1/11/2021 at 3:31 PM, OmegaRed said:

Really nice concept. Just a couple things that stood out...

- The use of the old english can become tough to read at small sizes... I'd say maybe try a new modern font and save the old english for dope IG posts/edits for the team where it becomes a tertiary font and not a primary one. 

- In the version where the "L" is to the left of the stacked "ouisville Lightning"... I think there is too much of a disconnect. As a concept, I get what you are doing, but visually it might be a bit off. If you were to go this route, I think you'd really have to tuck "ouisville" and "ightning" in to the L just above the stem to really create a tight lockup.

- On the secondary logo with the team name within the roundel... I think the lightning bolt dominates too much here. The proportion of bolt to L in the simplified secondary roundel is nice.

Great concept!

The idea, with the Old English font, was that it would really only be used in wordmark applications where it's big enough to be read (except for the main/helmet logo, of course). The primary font is actually the one on the bottom of the wordmark, Mudhead Serif.

Thanks for the feedback!

• 5 months later...

Figured that since we're nearing the end of the season, I should update this thread with some elements I've  created to imitate NFL teams. I've done a lot of mock social media type posts, like these for example:

Louisville Lightning Social Media Thread Gt410

Uniform combo announcement post using Madden 08 for the player screenshot

Louisville Lightning Social Media Thread Kevinw10

Player signing post (jersey swap created by @mcmanusdesign on Instagram)

Louisville Lightning Social Media Thread Week211

Postgame score update

Louisville Lightning Social Media Thread Ir10

Injury report

Louisville Lightning Social Media Thread Td11

Score update

Currently we sit at 8-8 with two games to play, and a win on Sunday locks up the division . If we win I may have more content up my sleeve.

Division was wrapped up on Sunday. Seeing as I saw this coming, I got ahead of the curve and designed a division champion logo a couple months back.

Louisville Lightning Social Media Thread Divisi10

On top of that, to imitate NFL social media teams, I came up with a playoff tagline/slogan/hashtag and made branding based around it.

ftv.png

Louisville Lightning Social Media Thread Playof13

1 hour ago, tigers said:

No lightning bolt down the pants?

Love the colours you chose.

I thought about it, but I didn't want to bite off LA/San Diego with the design and went for something more traditional.

Archived