NBA Expansion Looming: Seattle and Las Vegas or Vancouver

colortv

Silver said in a news conference last month that the NBA was dusting off its long-dormant expansion consideration and had put more time into the concept during the current pandemic. He spoke with Durkan shortly thereafter,

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30670930/seattle-mayor-jenny-durkan-pretty-optimistic-nba-return-city

While the NBA appears to be seriously considering expansion for the first time in years, it does not yet appear to be imminent.

“I would agree that there is discussion but no decision,” one governor told David Aldridge of The Athletic this week.

According to another high-ranking team executive, no serious consideration of expansion is likely to happen before the end of the 21-22 season.

Seattle is the most obvious expansion candidate and The Athletic was told that the league could even go with 31 teams for a while instead of 32. Las Vegas and Vancouver are the two cities that could get the second slot.

https://theathletic.com/2306367/2021/01/08/nba-expansion-cities-seattle-sonics-kraken/

We know a few things:

1. The first team will be Seattle, and will almost certainly use the Supersonics name/green and gold colors.

2. Expansion will not happen before the end of the 21-22 season.

3. Kansas City and Montreal also have interest.

Other than that, start your engines!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion, Seattle is team number one, no question. But team number two can be a multitude of things.

-Do they get Oklahoma City out of the Northwest Division and with the Texas teams and New Orleans where they belong.

-Does Memphis move to the Eastern Conference or do they expand further east and keep Memphis in the West.

-Do they try a former market or do they go somewhere new?

-If Seattle gets in, does Vancouver have a shot too?

- Should they test markets first before expanding to them? I think the market should host some neutral site regular season games first. Its basically how OKC got a team.

My opinion is Seattle gets a team, and then add another away from the West Coast, eliminating places like Vancouver, Anaheim, San Diego, Las Vegas. Id look at Kansas City, St Louis, Louisville, Nashville, Tampa, Jacksonville, Montreal, Pittsburgh. My pick would be Louisville because like OKC it wasnt a major league market until the team arrived. My only concern with Louisville is would they would be competing directly against college basketball. Would they be able to compete together or is Louisville simply just a college town?

Signature intentionally left blank

My #2 pick is Vancouver, only because they deserve another shot after the Grizzlies left. Plus, with two added to the West, Minnesota can move to the East. If they want to add an East and West, then Louisville is my pick. Vegas is very far down below, but I'm sure that's the other team we'll get because of course we will.

the user formerly known as cdclt

7 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

In my opinion, Seattle is team number one, no question. But team number two can be a multitude of things.

-Do they get Oklahoma City out of the Northwest Division and with the Texas teams and New Orleans where they belong.

-Does Memphis move to the Eastern Conference or do they expand further east and keep Memphis in the West.

-Do they try a former market or do they go somewhere new?

-If Seattle gets in, does Vancouver have a shot too?

- Should they test markets first before expanding to them? I think the market should host some neutral site regular season games first. Its basically how OKC got a team.

My opinion is Seattle gets a team, and then add another away from the West Coast, eliminating places like Vancouver, Anaheim, San Diego, Las Vegas. Id look at Kansas City, St Louis, Louisville, Nashville, Tampa, Jacksonville, Montreal, Pittsburgh. My pick would be Louisville because like OKC it wasnt a major league market until the team arrived. My only concern with Louisville is would they would be competing directly against college basketball. Would they be able to compete together or is Louisville simply just a college town?

I wouldn’t worry too much about the divisions, they’re practically meaningless in the NBA. I wouldn’t consider Kansas City, St. Louis, or Pittsburgh. They all strike me as cities that have professional sports teams because they always have. In other words, if a league was starting now, I don’t think they would be especially considered. And especially not Montreal. I don’t understand the clamoring for an MLB team to Montreal and I understand this even less.

The good thing about Vegas or Louisville (or Vancouver) is that a new arena wouldn’t need to be built. So if they flop, they could easily move within a few years like the Grizzlies did without a huge loss.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

8 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the divisions, they’re practically meaningless in the NBA. I wouldn’t consider Kansas City, St. Louis, or Pittsburgh. They all strike me as cities that have professional sports teams because they always have. In other words, if a league was starting now, I don’t think they would be especially considered. And especially not Montreal. I don’t understand the clamoring for an MLB team to Montreal and I understand this even less.

The good thing about Vegas or Louisville (or Vancouver) is that a new arena wouldn’t need to be built. So if they flop, they could easily move within a few years like the Grizzlies did without a huge loss.

Montreal is a huge metro..in terms of size it's probably only behind Seattle.

What you said about KC, St. Louis and Pitt probably only applies to Pitt.

Missouri is a large state and both KC and St. Louis are big metros, KC would also draw from the state of Kansas since the city straddles both sides the border and shares the name.

Las Vegas is built around a service economy that has not existed for nine months and may never exist again. I wouldn't break my back getting in there. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If the NBA goes to Las Vegas, the city will have gone from 0 major league teams to 3 in under a decade.  I don't recall any city getting three major league teams in less than a decade.  I know in DFW, it took 20 years for the area to get three major league teams: Cowboys in 1960, Rangers in 1972 and Mavericks in 1980.

18 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

If the NBA goes to Las Vegas, the city will have gone from 0 major league teams to 3 in under a decade.  I don't recall any city getting three major league teams in less than a decade.  I know in DFW, it took 20 years for the area to get three major league teams: Cowboys in 1960, Rangers in 1972 and Mavericks in 1980.

Seattle got three with the Sonics (1967), Mariners (1977) and Seahawks (1977). Well, four counting the Pilots (1969).

San Diego also went added the Chargers (1961), Rockets (1967) and Padres (1969).

Oakland kind of fits as they added the Raiders (1960, but really 1962), A's (1968) and Warriors (full-time, 1971, but part-time since 1966).

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

10 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Seattle, Sonics in ‘67, Seahawks in ‘76, Mariners in ‘77. 

Los Angeles had four new teams from ‘58 to ‘68 (Dodgers, Lakers, Angels, Kings)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Who it should be: Seattle and Vancouver

Who it will be: Seattle and Las Vegas

Yeah, as much as I feel like it should be Louisville over Vancouver or Vegas, it'll be Vegas.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

3 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

That’s my biggest issue with Las Vegas. Putting so many teams in the same market in such a short time isn’t a good idea, nor is Las Vegas the city to do it.

Vancouver or Louisville would be my picks for Team 32, though the thought of Montreal or Kansas City is intriguing.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

24 minutes ago, kimball said:

Yeah, as much as I feel like it should be Louisville over Vancouver or Vegas, it'll be Vegas.

My issue with Louisville is if the NBA is willing to put an expansion team in a city that has had some issues lately (and not COVID either).  I don't think the NBAPA would be comfortable playing in Louisville until that situation is fixed.  

It's a terrible, stupid, NHLesque idea. The league can't handle 32 teams. Great, another team that will exist in a perpetual rebuild because they only draft fourth overall instead of first and only three people on Earth per year enter the league knowing how to play professional basketball. Seattle should have had the team Oklahoma City has, Oklahoma City should have the team New Orleans has, and none of this should even be entertained.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

53 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The Twin Cities. After losing the Lakers in 1960, they gained the Twins and Vikings in 1961 and the North Stars in 1967.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived