NBA Expansion Looming: Seattle and Las Vegas or Vancouver

colortv

13 hours ago, kimball said:

32 teams is the magic number for U.S. pro sports. It makes sense for divisional groups and scheduling.

After 32 would be 40, so in that case ...

Seattle

Vancouver

Kansas City

Montreal

Louisville

Las Vegas

Pittsburgh

Nashville

San Diego

St. Louis

What about 36?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

What about 36?

6 divisions of 6? Could work, with two teams from each division plus two wild cards from each conference for the playoffs..

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

48 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

6 divisions of 6? Could work, with two teams from each division plus two wild cards from each conference for the playoffs..

It's my personal opinion that the NBA could go to a conference-less format of 6 divisions of 6.

the user formerly known as cdclt

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Yeah it seems like the next best plateau after 32. 40 is basically every possible city that could hold a team and that gives you no wiggle room. There's a hundred ways you could do the playoffs but I'd go with the division winners then the next three best records in each conference for a total of 12/36 teams. The top 1/3 of the league making the postseason always made sense to me

On the actual branding front, the Sonics were generally a great state-of-the-NBA branding test when they were around, so it'll be nice to have them back for that reason. Though that means 2020s Sonics will be some Amazon-vendor sponsor patch nobody's heard of, and a navy blue 4th jersey for some reason, but it is prime time for the return of basic no-outline Helvetica too.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

3 hours ago, QCS said:

It's my personal opinion that the NBA could go to a conference-less format of 6 divisions of 6.

If we're getting to that level, I'd almost rather go to some soccer nerd's pro/rel dream. 18 teams in each level, new markets, the NCAA told to go to hell.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

If we're getting to that level, I'd almost rather go to some soccer nerd's pro/rel dream. 18 teams in each level, new markets, the NCAA told to go to hell.

I've been pushing for a 40-team NBA with pro/rel for years.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Isn't Northern Virginia still an option as a possible home for a new stadium for the Washington Football Team?

Yes, in fact, Virginia recently approved sports betting in July 2020. We will have it operational by this year's Super Bowl. As for a possible stadium location, I'd say near the team's headquarters in Ashburn OR somewhere in Prince William County along the I-95 corridor.

Not to derail this thread, Seattle is long overdue for a basketball team again. Also, I can see the NBA putting a team in Vegas following the NHL and NFL leads.

The problem with Las Vegas is that everyone is coming in at once. It's quite the jump to go from no teams to three in such a short amount of time, and we have no indication of whether they can even support the two they already have once the excitement that comes with having a new team (or, in this case, new teams) dies down. The NBA also doesn't have the advantage of being the first to come - they'll be the league trying to catch up and carve their own niche in a city that's already made space for hockey and football. 

However, that's about it in the negatives column, at least in the league's eyes. Shiny new arena, growing market, destination city that players will want to go to, and lots of money to be made all around. There's no doubt in my mind they're the second city, along with Seattle.

ExJworW.png

I know it's fun to play "fill in the map," and entertain "let's give every big-league city a team" fantasies, but keep in mind that the apparent going rate for a new NBA franchise is a minimum of $2 billion, and likely $2.5 billion. 

This isn't about a city without a team saying, "hey NBA, look at us!" It's the NBA saying, "who's got $2.5 billion to spare?" Chances are, there aren't a lot of people in many of these cities with that kind of scratch to drop on a team. 

I have no doubt that there are enough wealthy investors, and certainly enough desire, in Seattle to get in on this cash grab by the league. Can we say the same about Vegas or Vancouver or KC or Louisville or Saskatoon or whatever EA sports create-a-team location we can dream up next?

2 hours ago, JayMac said:

Didn't Las Vegas have the all-star game a few years back? I think the city has been on the Association's radar for a while now. 

Summer League is in Vegas every year, and it's becoming more and more a destination event.

2 hours ago, JayMac said:

Didn't Las Vegas have the all-star game a few years back? I think the city has been on the Association's radar for a while now. 

Yeah, in 2007, but I was under the impression that it wasn't super successful. Things certainly have changed since then, however.

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I know it's fun to play "fill in the map," and entertain "let's give every big-league city a team" fantasies, but keep in mind that the apparent going rate for a new NBA franchise is a minimum of $2 billion, and likely $2.5 billion. 

This isn't about a city without a team saying, "hey NBA, look at us!" It's the NBA saying, "who's got $2.5 billion to spare?" Chances are, there aren't a lot of people in many of these cities with that kind of scratch to drop on a team. 

I have no doubt that there are enough wealthy investors, and certainly enough desire, in Seattle to get in on this cash grab by the league. Can we say the same about Vegas or Vancouver or KC or Louisville or Saskatoon or whatever EA sports create-a-team location we can dream up next?

Las Vegas would probably involve the owner of the Golden Knights.  I don't know how much money he's lost due to the Pandemic though.

Just got finished going through the whole thread. My first response post....

On 1/9/2021 at 11:56 PM, GDAWG said:

If the NBA goes to Las Vegas, the city will have gone from 0 major league teams to 3 in under a decade.  I don't recall any city getting three major league teams in less than a decade.  I know in DFW, it took 20 years for the area to get three major league teams: Cowboys in 1960, Rangers in 1972 and Mavericks in 1980.

GDAWG, with the responses to date, I'm thinking either your recall or knowledge of history is not that good😛:

On 1/10/2021 at 12:02 AM, kimball said:

Seattle got three with the Sonics (1967), Mariners (1977) and Seahawks (19776). Well, four counting the Pilots (1969).

San Diego also went added the Chargers (1961), Rockets (1967) and Padres (1969).

Oakland kind of fits as they added the Raiders (1960, but really 1962), A's (1968) and Warriors (full-time, 1971, but part-time since 1966) (don't forget the NHL Oakland Seals in 1967)

On 1/10/2021 at 12:06 AM, WSU151 said:

Seattle, Sonics in ‘67, Seahawks in ‘76, Mariners in ‘77. 
Los Angeles had four new teams from ‘58 to ‘68 (Dodgers, Lakers, Angels, Kings)

On 1/10/2021 at 11:38 PM, ProfessorBigShots said:

Minneapolis/St. Paul had the Twins move there in '61, Vikings join the NFL in '61, and the North Stars join the NHL in '68.

On 1/11/2021 at 12:11 PM, beachperroAZ said:

Between 88-98 Phoenix got the Cardinals, Coyotes and Dbacks. 

I'll pile on.  Atlanta: Braves in 1966, Falcons in 1966, Hawks in 1968, Flames in 1972. 

It is what it is.

15 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Las Vegas would probably involve the owner of the Golden Knights.  I don't know how much money he's lost due to the Pandemic though.

Definitely a possibility. At one point in 2019, Bill Foley was one of two billionaires vying to bring a Major League Soccer club to Vegas. Doesn't seem to be many updates about Foley's interest in MLS since then, but the other group — which includes Boston-based hedge fund executive Seth Klarman — appears to be making progress.

My point, albeit a long-winded one, is that Vegas doesn't appear to have a shortage of billionaires interested in buying pro sports franchises. 

Second response post.  Third one with serious observations about expansion will be up after lunch:

On 1/10/2021 at 12:47 AM, the admiral said:

Seattle should have had the team Oklahoma City has, Oklahoma City should have the team New Orleans has...

Yes to part one, no to part two.

On 1/10/2021 at 1:42 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Contract a thoroughly poisoned team, while adding an expansion club. It gets around relocation, allows for a contraction draft, and gets rid of markets that might have been lost to relocation anyway. Think Minnesota, New Orleans, or (I do hate to say it) Charlotte. Markets within the nation’s top ten would be exempt, of course.

No.

On 1/10/2021 at 1:46 PM, QCS said:

The Pelicans are in a much weaker position, which serves them right, but in the end I'd rather just see wholesale relocation of New Orleans. It would come full circle - The Hornets playing in OKC led to the Sonics moving, so the Pelicans transferring to Seattle (while the Charlotte Hornets outlast them) would be some real karmic justice.

Sorry-- nope. 

On 1/10/2021 at 1:50 PM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Or...OKC goes back to Seattle, and NO goes to OKC. 

HAHAHAHA!!!

On 1/10/2021 at 2:26 PM, GDAWG said:

Whether or not the Pelicans stay I think is dependent upon whether or not Gayle Benson keeps both teams she inherited from her late husband.  If I had to guess, she'll keep the Saints as they make a ton more money for her than the Pelicans.  The moment she decides to sell the Pelicans is the moment relocation talks begin,  If she were to sell both teams though, it would be the Saints staying in New Orleans as I doubt the Saints would want to go through that again.  T

Finally, talk with SOME semblance of sanity re: the New Orleans NBA franchise. 

However, the point is (as I have posted on these boards before) Gayle Benson isn't selling a damn thing. Not even the Pelicans (which are more her baby; she picked the name and color scheme).  She's announced several times her commitment to the city.  She's a very healthy 73, has no children ( i.e. greedy heirs), owns both teams outright, and has more money than she ever would need (the Bensons give away money charitably like the Rockefellers).   She has also gone on record as stating that she is setting up a trust for the long-term security of both of these franchises in New Orleans after she passes on. 

So, sorry vultures and haters.😛

It is what it is.

I would personally love Seattle and San Diego.  However in San Diego it is impossible to get anything sports related such as an arena or stadium built.  San Diego will be a one horse town for many years to come until the ambition comes back. 

41 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

Second response post.  Third one with serious observations about expansion will be up after lunch:

Yes to part one, no to part two.

No.

Sorry-- nope. 

HAHAHAHA!!!

Finally, talk with SOME semblance of sanity re: the New Orleans NBA franchise. 

However, the point is (as I have posted on these boards before) Gayle Benson isn't selling a damn thing. Not even the Pelicans (which are more her baby; she picked the name and color scheme).  She's announced several times her commitment to the city.  She's a very healthy 73, has no children ( i.e. greedy heirs), owns both teams outright, and has more money than she ever would need (the Bensons give away money charitably like the Rockefellers).   She has also gone on record as stating that she is setting up a trust for the long-term security of both of these franchises in New Orleans after she passes on. 

So, sorry vultures and haters.😛

I’ll assume you are very passionate about basketball in New Orleans, Louisiana 😂

Archived